“"couldn't wait to leave the penthouse"” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Chelsea

The Chelsea
Ranked #18 of 50 Hotels in Atlantic City
New York City, New York
“"couldn't wait to leave the penthouse"”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

my friend and i stayed in penthouse suite #8.We had a horrible time!!! Checked in on thursday,none of the hotel's amenenties were open.The bar,pool,lounge area etc.;everything was closed.What type of hotel is this!!! The penthouse suite was small and cramped.Their was a sink in the living area and no room in the fridge.There was no bathroom tub,only a shower.My fiance doesn"t shower,she loves her bath's!!! There was only half a shower door.Without a full inclosure, water would sometimes seep unto the bathroom floor.The bedroom was cold and the t.v. had only a few free channels.When i tried to rest my head i found tiny pin holes in the ceiling where cold air would enter the room.NOT A PENTHOUSE EXPERIENCE!
The only good thing i can say about my stay is the staff was friendly and the bed was soft and enjoyable.-Barry800

Room Tip: Ask if room has a bathroom tub.Are all activity areas open.Is there a micro-wave,coffee maker or blo...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
ExecOffice01, Manager at The Chelsea, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Dear Barry800,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are very sorry to read of your concerns. Please contact us through TripAdvisor messenger, as we would like to speak with you directly. While we do have our outlets hours posted on our website; your experience is important to us, as is making the situation right. Barry800, we hope to hear from you soon.

The Chelsea Management Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (544)
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

The Chelsea hotel was okay, but our bathroom had some issues. The wall paper bubbled in several locations and mold was clearly visible. We had a Luxe King Ocean View (Not much an ocean view), but we would have been fine with a bay view (Cheaper rate). I would suggest going to the hotel in the warmer months because one of the two restaurants was closed as well as the night lounge.

Lastly, the crowd is very young so if your looking for a mature crowd this is not the hotel for you.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank FloresE
ExecOffice01, Manager at The Chelsea, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Dear FloresE,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Please message us your room number through TA as we would like to address the room concerns you noted as soon as possible and speak with your directly about your stay.

Kind regards,
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

While we only paid $115 for a penthouse room, I'm not sure it was worth even that. Upon check in we went up to our room. The wallpaper was peeling, couch sunken, and toilet paper holder falling off the wall. A walk in shower seems like it should be modern until you notice the ancient PLASTIC shower head mounted low for my 5'2". There is a constant drilling sound overhead. In my opinion spend the extra money and stay somewhere where the casino money allows necessary updates and maintenance.

• Stayed March 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
ExecOffice01, Manager at The Chelsea, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Dear Acelia14h,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We appreciated the opportunity to speak with you firsthand today so that we could take the necessary action to address the issues noted here. Acelia14h, thank you for being our guest, we’re continually updating and improving the property, we know you will be pleased on your next stay with us.

Travelers are raving about these Atlantic City hotels

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2013

Hotel room wasn't clean and the staff wasn't that friendly. Our bathroom water pressure was very weak. Valet parking took 30 mins to retrieve the car on Saturday afternoon. Best part of the trip was the breakfast spot.
Decent value though since I paid less than 100 bucks for Friday night.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Ralee18
Dear Ralee18,

Thank you for taking the time to review us here on TA. We are sorry to read you were not pleased during your stay with us. Please message us through TA so that we can discuss your concerns directly as we do believe in making situations right.

Bryans Road, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2013

Booked an overnight stay at this hotel in January 2013. Went to AC to see a comedy show and enjoy the sights. Very busy check-in, valet parking is strongly urged. front desk staff was very pleasant and provided information to help make the stay more enjoyable. Regretfully, one of the main elevators was not working, adding to the seemingly long wait for an elevator to our 11th floor suite. Upon arrival, the suite was very nice, clean, and everything was in working order. The bed was especially nice and comfortable. The hotel was generally clean. The best thing about the hotel in my opinion was the location. Right in the middle of the action, walking distance to the main attractions and of course, the boardwalk. I would recommend.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank tryto82
Dear tryto82,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review us here on TA. We are thrilled to read that you had a fun weekend stay with us! Thank you for your honest comments about the cleanliness and condition of the room. We couldn’t agree more, our beds are especially nice and comfy. As for location, you’re right, we can’t think of a better spot – south end of the city, right next to the Tropicana Casino and steps from the Boardwalk! We love our high dunes and beach access just in front of the hotel. Convenient and pretty.

Tryto82, please check us out for summer, we have pool and beachside cabanas for rent and umbrellas, beach chairs, towels are complimentary for all hotel guests. Our property serves food by Teplitzky’s delivered to you chairside on the beach, how nice is that? As you can see summer excites us, now book your room and join us on the beach!

Langhorne, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013

I once again stayed at the Chelsea the weekend of February 16th/17th. I've always liked the Chelsea because I expect more out of my stay than just a room with a bed. I enjoy their restaurant and club. Neither were open, to my surprise, during my President's weekend stay. Check in was listed at 3pm. I arrived at 3pm and had to wait until after 4pm for my room. The lobby was full of weary guests in the same predicament. I passed the time having a $12 cocktail from the lobby bar. I know it's AC, and I expect drinks to be expensive. However, I'm thinking that the Chelsea should run a "happy hour special" at the lobby bar from 2pm until 5pm to "kill the pain" of waiting for rooms to be ready. Just a suggestion. It would have made me "Happy".

When I finally got into the room (Ocean King in main tower), I found some trim pieces broken off of the furniture. I also noticed some obvious tears in the duvet cover on the bed. The toilet paper holder was falling off of the sink cabinet. The shower control escutcheon falling off of the shower controls. The Chelsea is showing some wear and could use some maintenance.

The next morning we dined at Teplitzky's, as we always do. This time we had a $30 meal voucher as part of our hotel package. It took almost 45 minutes to receive our simple breakfast order. When we did, everything was cold. At this point, we were too hungry to complain about our free meal. I don't know what the problem was. The restaurant did not seem that busy.

On the bright side: Valet, bell service, front desk, and concierge employees were friendly and helpful.

I don't know what the problem is with the Chelsea, but it looks like I have to find a new place for all of my Atlantic City stays in the future. I'm am seriously disappointed about this!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Patrick58
Dear Patrick58,

Thank you for taking the time to review us here on TA. We love repeat guests and your experience is important to us. Please message us via TripAdvisor; we’d love the chance to speak with directly. It is important for us to know what booking engine you used to confirm your stay. Our website and confirmations note a 4pm checkin. While we do not guarantee the information on third party websites; we do not want our guests feeling frustrated so we need to look into that error.

Our cool restaurant Teplitzky’s runs a five hour happy hour from 3pm to 8pm, but your suggestion is a great one. Patrick58, thank you for being our guest, we’re continually updating and improving the property, it is our goal to make you love us again! We hope to hear from you real soon.

New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

The hotel was nice, it could use some paint touch ups because some of the walls near the elevator were pretty beat up. Our room was very comfortable, the bed was AMAZING. I didn’t think I would be impressed with the food from the hotel, but the Telipztsky Diner (not sure if I spelled it right) was delicious!!! We decided to have the food delivered to our room, and it came up prompt and hot. The jacuzzi was nice. One complaint would be that during check in, the staff was not too familar with the packages because she 1st told me my check out was 11, and I told her I had the Just the Two of Us romance package and she changed it to 12. But the website said 1pm. I would stay again though.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Rakia1012
Thanks Rakia1012!!

We’re pleased to read you found your room to be very comfortable and that you enjoyed your stay with us. We agree that bed is amazing! Thank you for commenting on how impressed you were with the food in our restaurant Teplitzky’s, they do a fine job and will be thrilled to hear how happy you were with your in-room-dining order. Rakia, we are sorry about the mix-up regarding the extended checkout for the Romance package. When returning to the Chelsea, please message us via TripAdvisor messenger and we’ll be sure to add a late checkout to your next stay with us.

We hope to see you again real soon.