“Water Club was Awesome!!”

The Water Club by Borgata
Ranked #2 of 49 Hotels in Atlantic City
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Water Club was Awesome!!”
Reviewed August 26, 2010

We stayed here and thought it was great!! The front desk staff was very welcoming, had no problems with check in or out and I was worried, based on past reviews. The rooms are gorgeous, the only suggestion would be to add a coffee maker. This would be the only place I would stay in Atlantic City, great for a romantic getaway!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
Pearl River, New York
Reviewed August 25, 2010

The hotel is beautiful, but I agree with the other reviews about the strict rules about pool useage...etc. You should also have the privelage to NOT stand online forever to get into the clubs since you have to pay an astronomical price to spend one night. I like that the restaurants are open late. The room had a wonderful smell that was also throughout the lobby of the hotel. I wish I knew what that was. Bed was super comfy. For a special occassion it was ok to splurge but I prob would not spend that amount again for one night in a room.

New Brunswick
Reviewed August 24, 2010

As a person who has traveled world-wide and is a resident of NJ, I can tell you please don't waste your money on this hotel. The Water Club advertises a cut-above-the-rest hotel and it is sadly lacking. The lobby is beautiful but the most basic room is straight out of the Hilton. For $200 less I could have stayed there.
The people who work there really don't care and it shows from their no smiles, no greeting, and over-all 'whatever' attitude. The only friendly employees was Bell Services, because they actually have to hussle for their pay it seems.
You can not use their "pools" until their insane check-in at 4pm. Pools are in quotes because the outdoor pool is the size of a puddle and the larger one on the Borgata side is over run with children and dodgy guys.
If you want to go to their clubs, you have to pay a $20 cover and wait in line with all the people who aren't paying to stay there. For $400 plus a night, shouldn't a guest be able to skip a line and enjoy a no-cover status?
My over-all experience was disappointing. I stayed in a "finer" hotel to avoid the dregs of humanity in Atlantic City, but I just ended up feeling like I was fleeced, without even hitting the poker tables.

5 Thank mgg9
Reviewed August 23, 2010

Below is a copy of the letter that I am sending to The Water Club.

I picked the Water Club for my stay with 3 other friends because I thought that it would be a step above a regular hotel and we would get the pampering we were looking for. We were coming into Atlantic City to celebrate a couple of my friends turning 40. We all have young children, don't get to see each other often and definitely don't get out often. We were really looking forward to a posh stay at the Water Club.

Let me start by saying that I understand the need for rules and that there is usually a "not so good background story" that has caused the need for the rules. With that being said, rules should clearly be stated to the customer BEFORE they arrive.

I drove into the Water Club's Valet at approximately 1:30 pm on Saturday, August 21st. Everyone was very friendly and helpful. As one of the women valets was helping me get my bags on the cart, she noticed I had a cooler. She politely informed me that coolers were not allowed into the hotel. I mentioned that I was here for a special occasion; I had a bottle of champagne, water bottles and some appetizers in the cooler. By no means did I have anything that was going to start an out of control keg party in our room. Since I had not been notified of the rules a head of time, I was a quite disappointed and embarrassed. The woman saw my distress and kindly turned her back, so that I could stuff my cooler into my bag (I can't imagine wasting $50 worth of food and drink in my hot car for 24 hours).

At around 1:40 pm I arrive at the lobby. Unfortunately I don't have a chance to enjoy the beauty of it because the first thing I see a check in line of about 40 people deep. I wait for approximately 10 minutes (I've never waited this long for check in for any level of hotel). I am greeted by a woman, who confirms my name, the names of the other parties in my group and confirms back to me that there are FOUR guests. She checks for 5 minutes to try to find me a room, but is unable to do so. I had asked if I could use the pool & was told no, I needed to have a room key to get the wrist bands. She tells me to check back in an hour. Which I am fine with because check in is not until 4 pm.

Two other members of my party arrive at 3 pm. We walk back to the reception desk and wait for approximately 5 minutes to again be told that our room probably won't be ready for another 20 to 30 minutes. Once again, this is fine because it is still not 4. I asked if we could use the pool and was told again,no, we needed a room key to get the wrist bands. While we were waiting for her to confirm some more information, we over heard another person next to us asking the front desk if her room was ready. She was told no, not yet, however, the woman had a wrist band on and had clearly been at the pool. At this point, I am starting to get a little annoyed as I keep wasting my time waiting in lines and the treatment of guests appears to be inequitable. We decide to go to the bar in the lobby and wait for our 4th guest to arrive. She arrives and we make our way to the reception desk again. At this point it is about 3:45 and the lines are even worse. We wait again, only to be told that the room is not available. We FINALLY have someone that is kind enough to give us 4 wrist bands so that we can at least go enjoy the pool while we wait.

We head to the pool entrance to the right of the reception desk, but we are informed by Marc that we are not allowed to use this entrance. We are told to go the pool entrance by the escalators. We walk over to the pool entrance by the escalators, but are told by an older gentleman, that we must use the entrance to the right of the reception desk. We walk back over to Marc and as he is telling us that he cannot let us in this entrance, someone walks right by us and him, into the pool. We ask Marc to please get on his walkie talkie and talk to the gentleman at the other entrance. Marc goes into the vestibule in the pool area for about 3 minutes and finally comes out and says that we can go into the pool. No smiles, no apologies, no can we offer you a free drink for your troubles. We get to the pool only to be disappointed that it appears to look like something out of MTV's spring break *sigh*, not at all the relaxing atmosphere we had envisioned based upon your website. We sit by the bar at the pool until approximately 4:15 and then head back inside, the lines are of course even worse by now because it is the official check in time. We wait approximately 5 minutes to speak with a manager. We speak with a gentleman who never apologizes for our wait, doesn't offer anything for our troubles, but finally after another 5 minutes he finds us a room (it is explained to us that the room they were going to put us in still was not ready?!?!? BUT IT IS AFTER 4!??!?). We ask if we could at least have a late check out for our troubles… he offers us 12 pm check out, which honestly didn't even come close to making up for our troubles, but we gratefully accepted.

We settle in to our room (2168) and are pleasantly surprised by the view from our room. We start unpacking and are disappointed yet again to discover there are only 3 towels, 2 robes, no slippers (one of the nice perks I read about). Unwilling to deal with the wait at the reception desk again, we find a maid in the hallway and ask her for a couple of towels.

We clearly read the sign that if you touch anything in the minibar for more than 30 seconds you will be charged for that item. Unfortunately, we didn't realize that also referred to the items on top of the credenza. Someone in our party must have either knocked one of the items over by accident or picked up an item to look at it. I went to check out the via the tv on the morning of Sunday, August 22nd only to discover a $5 charge (No one could explain to me why this wasn't charged with the initial charges) and a $19.26 charge. I reach out to the reception desk again to find out that the "Sex Kit" must have been moved. She would send an e-mail to the Mini Bar Service area and someone would come to our room to verify that the item was not in fact used….. *sigh* another wait.

We finally get everything straightened out and I head down to valet. The young, blond woman at the desk asks me how my stay was. I reply "It could have been better". What does your last line of defense say to me… NOTHING. Your customer service, one of the last people I speak to, asks how my time was and apparently does not even care, as she does not have a response for "It could have been better". Not even an "I'm sorry to hear that". She just went on with her automaton speech, about complimentary water bottle and how my car will be ready in 10 to 15 minutes (YIKES).

I had such high hopes for The Water Club, unfortunately after my stay (and last one at that) I cannot recommend your hotel to anyone.

Sincerely disappointed,

7 Thank amcirish
NY
Reviewed August 22, 2010

I love this hotel. I love the entire experience. The place, the service, the rooms (try for a corner view room), the pool, the spa.... its all just wonderful! Dont know of any other place I'd stay in AC other than Water Club and Borgata. Note that it is rather pricey but worth it!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
sixsticks
Reviewed August 16, 2010

Without a doubt, both the Water Club and The Borgata, are the only places to stay and play in Atlantic City! We have stayed and played in every higher end hotel in AC and there is just no comparison.

First The Water Club:
Beautiful, well appointed and comfortable rooms. Fully equipped with HD flat screen TV with more channels than you will find in any other AC casino hotel, high end toiletry items, luxurious bed linens and towels, bath robes and extremely comfortable beds!
Much quieter at The Water Club than on The Borgata side. Not sure, but I don't think they book on this side with children.
Great spa and pools.
Room service is fantastic unlike on the Borgata side.
For those who don't know, the casino, poker room and restaurants are the best in AC.
With restaurants like Wolfgang Puck's (a personal favorite) Bobby Flays, The Homestead and Sea Blue (another personal favorite...the Lobster Pot Pie is a must have) and more, you don't know where to dine first.
This would be considered a 5 star hotel any place like NYC!
Several outdoor pools, although we don't utilize them.
Great security when entering elevator area to rooms.

The Borgata side:
The Borgata side is great as well, although a much needed renovation is in order for rooms which has begun. The Fiore Suites (where we stay when on this side) have already had their renovations completed and are quite gorgeous. You can be upgraded to this suite for a nominal charge upon check in when available and now there is an abundance of availibility.
There is an indoor pool on this side, a great spa but room service leaves a lot to be desired. Additionally, TV stations are scarce.
Great security when entering elevator area to rooms.

We've been there, done that all over AC and would never consider staying, playing and dining anywhere else!

new york, new york
Reviewed August 11, 2010

The Water Club does have a few additional benefits over the Borgata: It is adults only , separated from the casino mayhem by a long retail hallway, and it provides access to the Water Club pools, which staying in the regular Borgata does not. I was disappointed by the pools however- so if the rates are much more than the Borgata Im not sure it's worth it. The pools are no bigger than those at a regular hotel (they do not compare to the ones you see in Vegas), they have a view of absolutely nothing (worse- of the freeway, and the parking lot), and for 80 pct of the day, 80 pct of the pool is in the shadow of the hotel itself. A friend pointed out - they probably designed it this way on purpose - to get you to go into the casino during the day, instead of hanging out by the pool. Regardless, the pools were a serious letdown.
The rooms are very nice but one big complaint - the sheets are aqua blue and brown! What a strange decorative choice?? Any other hotel of this caliber one would expect to see white crisp sheets in. Ive never seen such a thing.
Service leaves something to be desired at the Water Club as well. We had to complain to a manager get the room we actually booked (adjoining rooms both with double beds) after the front desk person repeatedly swore no such rooms existed. Second, towels were not replaced when they cleaned the rooms, and we had to call to get more.
The Casino itself is great, as are the restaurant options which are plentiful.
If you have some extra time, check out White House Sub Shop across the bridge. Best hoagie I've ever had.
I'd still recommend this hotel - because I'm pretty sure its the best and only option in Atlantic City. Just be prepared for the letdowns. This is not a Vegas resort where they have a lot of competition... Its pretty much in a class by itself down in AC, so its still working out the kinks and not going the extra mile.

2 Thank blazerlady