“Corner Nice room/views - some rude staff and track your comps, especially for table play” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Water Club by Borgata

The Water Club by Borgata
Ranked #2 of 50 Hotels in Atlantic City
Fairfield County, Connecticut
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2009

We arrived separately as I was already in Jersey visiting family so I checked in earlier and had a chance to settle in. We stayed 2 nights (July 19th-21st) on the 17th floor corner room (comped from his first time at the property 3 months ago). The room was bright and attractive (though had to call housekeeping to re-clean (carpet was not vacuumed properly and dusty). It was my birthday and our anniversary celebration so upon check-in we asked about being comped for dinner - no luck on that one but asked about the comedy club, and they comped us 2 tickets for the following night. We walked around the floor, gambled a bit (had to go buy drinks - couldn't find any servers) we played $1-$5 slots in the "Salon" for a couple of hours and basically blew hundreds on other machines that didn't seem to pay out. Still, the room was comped so we expected to spend $$$. Stood in line at 11:30pm for Noodles at "Noodles" and unfortunately it didn't live up to reviews. The 2nd day we drove to Ocean City (Valet service was great - and only $5 during your stay and they give you a nice cold water for your trip). Wanted to enjoy a nice beach afternoon since I spent summers there growing up. It has changed (what hasn't?) so many people but the weather and waves were great and worth the 25 min drive. We got back to the room at 6pm and it still wasn't made up. So we had our cocktails (brought our own wine and soft cooler of cheeses, etc.) and headed down to the comedy club at 8:30 after arranging for maid service. The show was about 90 min long and 30 minutes of funny. I have no issues with crude jokes, but felt bad for some of the seniors in the crowd as the first comic was REALLY awful and even most of the crowd seemed embarrassed for him. If you like hard-core NY humor (and don't mind comics humping guests on stage) you'll have a decent experience - but would not go again if I had to pay even the small fee of $20/ticket. Had 10:30pm dinner reservations at Izakaya, nice atmosphere- definitely caters to the 20-something club crowd, we like the small plate idea and the "special" Monday menu was OK, but my husband is a chef and unfortunately had to send the sushi back as it was warm, so a bit of a disappointment. They do not have hot sake, which is a favorite of mine though I realize the cold sake is more "in", I just like the hot stuff with sushi. (We ended up buying a bottle of wine). The ribs were delicious, but again each plate is $7 so don't think that this is a deal. If you order the beef and scallions - you'll get 2 bites. We eat out weekly so spending $100-150 for dinner is expected, but should have gone to Sea Blue instead. We grill all the time so steaks were not our goal. We were up until 4am dancing and losing money at the tables - and table players take heed... we spent $400 in about 2 hours and we only rated as spending $100. I played slots again for a bit (read that Borgata has some of the loosest slots in AC - but honestly, these were the tightest I've seen, I normally gamble about $500-$1000+ and usually end up losing only a couple hundred which is more than fare for a night or two of fun, but this trip we lost about $1500.) The Metropolitan was great at 4am for a late night munch (since we hardly ate at Noodles...) Pools were too crowded to consider (we hate lines) plus they close at 8pm, what is up with that?? Unfortunately we came back to the room at 5am-ish and found our door ajar with the security lock propping it open. I immediately went down to the front desk, obviously the maid inadvertently did this as they didn't clean until after 9pm. But this was pretty freaky, the front desk said we could file a report with a detective, but it was late and said I'd see if anything was missing in the morning, but nothing turned out to be, but again, this should NEVER have happened. They offered nothing for the inconvenience, I had to ask for an extended check-out (which I got), but still uncomfortable the way that was handled. Overall we felt some staff/management had an attitude. But the Sunroom staff was super friendly and throughout the casino when you are paying for drinks they seem to treat you better, its unfortunate that they do not educate/train the staff enough. This place really could grow by leaps and bounds if they had more consistancy with courteous service. The 3rd day we decided to try the buffet for variety (there are only 3 places for casual dining. The buffet was a HUGE mistake. If quantity is more important thank quality, you'll be fine here, but not for us. The hotel is pretty and we found mid-week to be filled with young and seniors only (as our age-group works and probably goes on weekends). Just don't expect too much even if you are a generous tipper, you still may not get any satisfaction from the overall service at this hotel. We will stay at Harrah's next time or Mohegan Sun or the new MGM at Foxwoods which are closer to home. However, I would recommend to try and least once (but not at full rack rate).

3 Thank worldsanoyster

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (238)
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2009

The Water Club is the nicest, classiest hotel in Atlantic City. The atmosphere is elegant and contemporary. However, the staff (especially management) still has the "New Jersey" attitude. Specifically, during check-in, (we arrived at 11am) we were told we cannot check-in until 4pm.
We promptly asked for a manager, who explained to us the check-in policy. After some complaining, he mysteriously found us a room, and we were at the pool 10 minutes later.

Pool: Both indoor and outdoor pools. Chairs NOT wood (major disappointment.) NO Corona Light (Again some inventory control is needed. ) Otherwise, sun exposure is decent.

Room: Upgraded and nice. (Compared to Borgata)

Gift Shop: Needs lower priced items (we are in Jersey ya’ know)

Signage: Poor! Need more signs from surface lot to hotel.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tylerearlsill
Philadelphia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2009

What made The Water Club was some specific members of the staff. I was nervous about TWC after reading reviews on Tripadvisor about the pool area being overcrowded. This trip was a last chance for my husband and I to get away before our baby is born and being 7 months pregnant, all I wanted to do was lie by the pool and have yummy food brought to us. Before I booked I contacted the concierge to ask about the pool rules about seating and he assured me that the negative reviews I'd read were from last year and they had since expanded the pool deck. Well the first day of our trip we went to the pool and every chair was taken...they were packed in like sardines. One of the pool staff members told us to wait by the bar, but we had no hope that we'd get a chair. At that point the hormones kicked in and I started to cry (luckily I had my sunglasses on) thinking our whole trip was going to be a disaster. Well I was totally wrong. The pool staff was amazing. They watch the coming and going of every guest and immediately replaced towels and notified us when 2 chairs were available. A special thanks to Kevin! Within 10 minutes, we had chairs and I had a huge smile. I watched how hard they worked all day, moving umbrellas, and bringing food and drink. I highly commend whoever is in charge of this operation. It even discouraged the rude chair saving that happens at so many hotels when guests reserve their own seats all day while they are away from the pool. Oh just one other random note: who designed the tops the waitresses were wearing? Could they be any less flattering...poor girls!

Our next stop was the spa, but thank god we had been warned about the prices at TWC spa called Immersion. They are close to $100 more than I've paid at other spas in equivelent hotels. In fact they are that much more than the parent hotel, The Borgata. Rumor has it, they even use the same massage therapists, so you are paying more why??? So we booked at The Borgata spa, a short walk away within the hotel complex and had excellent pre-natal and deep tissue massages. Thanks Mark.

Food was a mixed bag. The food at the pool was good, we had the cobb salad, grilled chicken sandwich, and awesome fries. The breakfast at the Sunroom was delicious. The only disappointment was the Ice Cream Sundae (with all the fixings) that we ordered through room service. Apparently all the fixins meant a tiny bit of fudge sauce and a bunch of big pink marshmellows, plus the gelato tasted gritty. Really odd. Our big night out at Bobby Flays was a bust...not recommended.

The room: we booked the Vista Room to have the corner panoramic windows and the view was exactly as promised. The shower was divine. The bed was really strange. Not nearly as comfortable as a Marriot or Westin bed, the real issue was how it was made. It was almost as if they got a deal by buying bedding in bulk and decided to make it work. The bottom layer was a flat sheet that didn't cover the whole mattress, so at the bottom our feet were touching mattress pad. On top of that was another flat sheet, then a brown comforter, then 2 more layered flat sheets. I woke up frequently during the night from the heat and was wrapped in all these layers. We also had a problem with our pillows smelling bad. We could never figure out which pillow it was to tell the housekeepers, but the smell would waft through the room occasionally. The other downside to the room was the air conditioning. At night it never got cool enough and we were frequently sweating.

Overall, we had a good stay at this hotel, not great. It's possible that some of the problems we had were only in our room, so give it a try and especially spend some time at the pool!

1 Thank glisten28
Baltimore, Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2009

We just spent 2 nights at the Water Club and it is interesting to see a post I had just made recently about our February stay.....all I can say about our recent July visit is this review is much different. My biggest complaint was the front desk staff and pool staff and lobby staff this time seemed burned out, frustrated, grouchy and tired of serving. I will however give great praise to the spa staff and the bellmen, they were fantastic. We had numerous occasions this time where the staff just soured our stomachs. For no reason they would act rude and brush us off. After spending a week in Mexico last month this staff made us want to take our money right back out of the country and go where people know how to give good service. The weird thing is I really do not think they care nor does the management and if the management does care I do not know if it will get any better because I think it is all about high rollers and catering to them. I do not know why we were privy to this behavior all weekend long. No smiles, no help with any questions, very rude on different occasions. The security gal was constantly putting on lipstick into a mirror up front while on duty...(tacky)! Yet they couldn't remember that we had just passed with our room ID's just 1 minute earlier. Up in our room we wanted a bottle of wine and there was no wine opener or bottle opener and so we called down and the woman had a tone and said you will have to call room service for that! So we call room service and they told us....oh we don't stock wine openers any more in the rooms! PLEASE! Why do they offer beverages then?? So the guy brings a 99 cent plastic cheapo opener up and of course its not his fault he had to come and deliver, so you tip him and you say to your self...whats wrong here. When paying this kind of money (Weekend Vista rate) give me a frickin wine opener please! We also were told several times as an excuse that " they draw a certain "type of people here" and that is why they have to have such strict rules and be cautious all over the hotel...Certain type of people in my mind seem like they must really get some messed up people, but you know what?.... I don't care about those people, I care about the service they give me!!! We are very nice, courteous and patient people so it was mind boggling that they were rude to us at all and to top it off we come here many times a year. Housekeeping only partially made our bed and cleaned our room, we are very neat people so I at least expected the bed to be made and used glasses removed! Are they that spacey or again, do they just not care?? All of these things I am addressing to management in hopes that they will get after their staff to just be a tad more chirpy!
On the plus side we had a great Vista room, a great day at the beach, (shuttle service is fantastic and you get nice chairs, towels and umbrellas when you arrive. I have to tell a funny story about our arrival to the beach. The beach guy carried our items promptly to where we told him we wanted to sit ( a wide open space not near any one), and a guy runs up to the poor young attendant and starts screaming at him..." Your destroying my view, these people are ruining the beach, move them else where!" We spun our heads around in utter shock at what he was saying, as we were farther than 50 feet from him. The term "these people" once again was heard. Apparently there are many people on this beach that hate the fact that the Water Club allows guests there now....It was unbelievable. We tipped him and he ignored the lunatic. We looked at each other and said, we didn't know the beach was owned by any one especially the ocean! We just laughed but he was truly upset. Note this if you do happen to go to the beach. Look out for crazy man with his family.
The new Italian restaurant was fabulous as was the general casino so all and all we had a terrific time with the exception of the staff up front at the Water Club. Hope things change here or we will be looking else where to stay next time. Waiting for the Wynn to come! Just know this is not a 5 star hotel and at best very low 4 star, then you never have high expectations and can just enjoy what they do have that is good.

2 Thank bobolito
dc
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Water Club the night of our wedding because we wanted to stay at one of the best hotels in NJ. At the recommendation of the conceirge, my husband wanted to surprise me with chocolate covered strawberries, and the hotel staff told him that they would send them to our room once we checked in because they make them fresh and they weren't sure what time we were going to arrive. We checked in to our room, which was average (we had plastic rose petals on the bed when we arrived) and went to the spa. When we got back, we still had not received our strawberries, so my husband called to remind them. It was late and we were exhausted after having a great wedding, so we ordered room service. When we got our dinner, the food was awful!! We returned the fish that was bad and smelled like ammonia and ordered a pasta dish instead that tasted terrible and was expensive but we were tired and decided to forget about it and make the most of our special evening. It was getting late and we were exhausted when we finally received our strawberries, we each ate one and went to sleep. The next morning I woke up and looked at the remaining strawberries and was absolutely shocked when I saw that every single strawberry was covered with mold, even the stems from the night before were covered in mold. My husband called the hotel medic who stated there was no health hazard in eating mold covered fruit but it was disgusting. My husband called the manager and their initial response was that the hotel would pick up the cost of the molded strawberries!! He went basaltic and the manager agreed to pay for our crappy dinner that we didn't eat but cost us $125! We decided to check out early and spoke to the front desk manager who stated we we were overreacting by being upset and was very nasty with us. After arguing with her in the lobby they called out six security guards and threaten us. After several requests to speak to the hotel manager the front desk manager said they would have risk assessment call us. Risk management finally called us and offered to pay for the cost of our room. That was there final offer so the best hotel in NJ paid us a total of $380 to eat mold covered strawberries. Ask yourself if someone gave you a strawberry covered in mold how much would they have to pay you to eat it? Also the water club claimed that they made the strawberries fresh every half hour that means someone from the staff took 6 strawberries covered in mold and purposefully dipped them in chocolate to trick their guest. Makes you wonder what else they are doing to the food and why my fish smelled like ammonia. SO BE WARNED STAY AWAY FROM THE BORGOTA/WATER CLUB THEY ARE RELYING ON THEIR REPUTATION OF BEING THE BEST BUT THEY ARE AWLFUL! WANT TO STAY AT A TOP NOTCH HOTEL STAY AT THE INN AT LITTLE WASHINGTON IT IS WHERE MY HUSBAND PROPOSED AND THE INN AND FOOD ARE OUTSTANDING!!!!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
16 Thank advogado
NJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2009

we just went to the water club last week, and we had a great experience. we decided to get the vista room, and had amazing views of the ocean and bay. the rooms were very clean and were a good size. we also enjoyed a massage at the spa which was also a great relaxing experience. I would recommend taking advantage of the pool and jacuzzi off the spa if you have the time - it is part of the service for the day. we would definitely go back and look forward to our next trip.

1 Thank freqtraveler73
Pennsylvania’s Endless Mountains, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2009

The lobby is warm and relaxing. The candles while checking in makes one feel so good.
Everyone is friendly and willing to offer help, directions or just a warm smile.

Very comfortable and well appointed room.
The color scheme is wonderful in this elegant room.
Borgata action is only a few steps away.
Had room service and the dinner was sumptuous.
Very pleasant stay!!!