“Unbelievable experience”

The Water Club by Borgata
Ranked #4 of 49 Hotels in Atlantic City
Reviewed September 30, 2008

From the time you enter The Water Club, you are definitely experiencing luxury. The staff is very helpful and friendly. The lobby and surrounding areas are magnificent. The rooms are extremely nice with all the highest quality amenities. We have stayed at the Water Club on 2 different occasions; the view from both rooms was awesome. The beds are so comfortable; we are purchasing one of their mattresses for our own home. The Sunroom is a great place to relax and enjoy a drink and appetizers. We have already planned our next stay at The Water Club. This hotel is a definite must on your next trip to Atlantic City.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Water Club by Borgata

Reviewed September 21, 2008

Let me preface my review by disclosing that I am always comped at the Borgata for my stays. So my review for my first visit to the Water Club might definitely be different if I was paying $449 per night. Never-the-less this may be insightful to those not sure which hotel to stay at (original Borgata hotel or the new Water Club).

For a recent weekend visit my wife and I had our choice between the two properties. On this board and from friends I had heard some unflattering stories about the pools in the new Water Club and the super sensor insta-charging mini bar. Mainly that they are too crowded and tiny! We swayed back and forth and only upon hearing that Water Club guest had access to all Borgota Hotel facilities as well (including pool and spa) did we decide to go with the Water Club. We figured if the pool and spa were not to our liking we would walk across the casino to the Borgata hotel pool and spa.

So here is how it went....
Valet parking is $10 or free for Black Player Card holders. The entrance is under the hotel and when you exit your car your bags are checked and up the escalator you go to front desk lobby. The lighting in the lobby is on the dark side but the decor is nice enough. At check in we right away spoke with the agent about the crowded pool scene and she totally acknowledged it as an issue and reminded us that we can use the Borgata hotel pool as well. We were prepared for this and not perturbed by its confirmation. We were also told that they just passed a new rule that forbids children from any of the Water Club's pool and spa facilities.

The room is elegant. King bed, flat screen tv, desk, relaxing chair, ipod station, roomy walk in glass shower (room for 4) with an extra rainfall simulating showerhead. The size of the room and layout is similar to the Borgata hotel basic room, it just has better appointments.

My wife and I both felt that the room was very relaxing. It was not overdecorated with paintings and artifacts. It was very feng shui to tell you the truth. The HD tv also had some very relaxing stations like a Zen channel and a Da Vinci channel that we found very soothing. They clearly had quiet and relaxation on the mind when they designed this hotel. It is superior to the Borgata hotel in this regard.

For kicks we explored the pools and must confirm much of what has been said. Though they were not so crowded that we could not get in, they just felt crowded, even with the 75% or so occupancy that there seemed to be in the pool areas. Chairs laid out so tight like a parking lot where everyone parked but no one could open their car door.

The pool areas are so small, that as a Borgata loyal visitor, I would love to know exactly what they were thinking to create such a small constricting and cramped space. It totally contradicts the relaxing joujou one feels in their room. We went to the original Borgata hotel pool area and had a very relaxing time there as we always do.

And of course the cruise ship sized pools are only 3 foot deep. Get on your knees to feel the h2o.

The Spa prices are much higher as well than the original Borgata hotel. So in summary, if high priced Spa and (walking to the Borgata pool) are not on our agenda or if we are visiting on a weekday when the pools are not crowded, the Water Club is our choice. Else, it's the Borgata Hotel. Which is not a bad default.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank 4bizandfun
Reviewed September 18, 2008

My son and I gamble at the Borgata about twice a month. We usually stay at the Borgata. The Borgata was full so we got comped at the Water Club instead. As a previous poster states, "the Water Club has too many rules". Most of these rules are designed to gouge you for more money. For example, the first time in my life that I was not allowed to take a small cooler to my room. It had 4 bottles of water and 5 beers in it. I was stopped by a security guard and assistant manager at the elevator. They said no coolers allowed in the room. They also lied and said the Borgata has the same rule. WE have stayed at the Borgata at least 10 times; and never got our cooler confiscated. When we checked out the next day, we counted 8 different people with coolers coming out of the Borgata.I had to check the cooler at the desk. When I got to the room I realized why they do this. They want to gouge you with the wet bar. Don't touch any food or beverages in the room. You will be charged after 30 seconds; if you don't put the item back where you got it. If I had to pay for the room, I'd really be mad. We're going to try Caesar's next time Borgata is full. I don't want this review to reflect badly on the Borgata, just the Water Club.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
4  Thank hmbPhiladelphia
Reviewed September 17, 2008

This is a gorgeous hotel and please keep that in mind when reading this (and other) reviews. They have a huge opportunity to make this one of the best stays on the entire east coast if they change some things and play their cards right.

The first change needs to be their overall attitude towards their guests. We did have a couple of employees that went out of their way to smile and help us, but overall the attitude was very high brow. By this I mean they don't seem to want to go out of their way to help you and, when asked, seem to be a little bothered by the request. They act like they're a step above their guests, not something you need from a hotel employee, regardless of the establishment.

The second change needs to be their pools. They simply need more. Fortunately we stayed from Sunday to Tuesday in the off season so we didn't have the problems explained in other reviews, but I can't imagine what a competition it is to find a couple of seats in the middle of the summer. They certainly have the room to expand and they should. Just look at the pools in Las Vegas (Hard Rock, Mandalay Bay, etc.) and model the expansion after those. Their pool scene could rival any of those if it's done correctly.

Their prices are steep -- more than Borgata -- but we expected that when we booked. We also requested an early check-in and were granted that when we arrived around noon. We had to remind the desk employee, however, as he did not look closely at our reservation. We had no problems once he noticed, though.

We thought the room was gorgeous, the decor very appropriate and not over the top like some other hotels in Atlantic City. We never saw a chaotic lobby scene like we've seen at Borgata in the past. Even during peak check-in / check-out times, music could still be heard throughout the lobby and the lines (if any) were very manageable.

Although we didn't use the spa, we did go up and visit and had no problems looking around, walking in and out of the pool area, and even walking in and out of the "His" and "Her" spas. (These are locker rooms, for lack of a better term, but they have hot tubs, wading pools, saunas, steam rooms, showers, and amenities beyond what "locker rooms" usually entail.)

Overall we had a wonderful time at Water Club and will definitely go back. However, we would love to see some improvements to both the staff and the pools. Changes in these two areas would put this hotel on the map. One is an easy change, one will take some construction. They are a young facility, possibly going through some initial growing pains, and have an excellent opportunity to improve.

Atlantic City definitely needs something other than the cookie cutter, somewhat obnoxious, hotel and this property has the potential to do that. It just needs a little work.

(Stayed Sunday to Tuesday, 9/14/08 - 9/16/08)

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank toddandmichele
Reviewed September 14, 2008

Water Club??? really? I think they could have come up with a more fitting name for the place...it certainly can't refer to the pools. I have a bigger one in my back yard and there aren't 200 other people around it trying to get a toe in.
It was quite a disappointing trip. and, oh yeah there was a bright orange condom (used!) under my bed....great bonus!!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with friends
3  Thank julj1
Reviewed August 31, 2008

I had reservations for several weeks with my 19 year old Grandson when we read the negative reviews on the web site. I called the Borgata to switch from The Water Club but they couldn't promise me a room with 2 beds.....thank goodness!!!!! We were on the 30th floor in a beautiful room and the service from check in to check out was flawless. Dinner at the Old Homestead was, as usual, delicious. At 3 o'clock The Borgata lobby was jammed with people checking in and children running all over but our check in at the Water Club was quiet and efficient....we highly recommend this experience.

• Stayed: August 2008
1  Thank actress1001
Reviewed August 29, 2008

I don't want to sound too positive, but the room was comfortable, nicely decorated, the shower was great, and we had a nice view of the ocean.

Overall however, I was completely let down by this experience. I hope they plan on making some changes because I really wanted to like this place.

It began with rude people on the phone when I booked the room and really continued with rude staff in the lobby. I would think that "be friendly" would be on page 1 of the training manual when you begin work in the hospitality business.

When booking, they sold me a package that turned out to be incorrect. I had to be transferred around until it was fixed and of course I was not charged properly. They didn't handle it well at all.

When we arrived around noon, they said we could not check in until 5 pm and we could not even use the pool until then. The smug man behind the counter suggested we take their shuttle bus to the beach. I went to get something to eat, register for a borgata rewards card and cool my jets because he had gotten me pretty upset.

When I returned around 2:30, it was much more crowded. There was no logical organization to the lobby so each guest is competing for the next available agent. Some people that weren't as competitive were waiting for a long time. This time, a female staff member was able to get us a room. We got the key and headed right for the pool. Security actually validates your card at the entrance to the pool.

There were pools inside that seamed crowded, but we headed outside for some sun. There were 2 more pools outside and we couldn't help but notice how small everything was. This massive hotel has 2 small pools that are 3 or 4 ft deep. The area around the pool has nice lounge chairs, but again it is in such a small area that there weren't enough chairs for everyone that wanted to sit. When we finally got chairs, we were samwiched between other people. There was no privacy and we were forced to hear all the conversaitons happening. I suppose at this price point, we were amongst the old and the pretentious.

It's obvious that they are trying to weed out the riff raff, but I really felt nickle and dimed. It was way too expensive, and I don't like their policies that require a reservation to do everything. You had to show a card everywhere you went and we couldn't even go up to the spa to see unless we had a reservation.

Since it was half the cost, we used the spa at the Borgata. It was very nice and I couldn't help but think we should have stayed there instead.

After losing a few hundred in poker and blackjack, a very overpriced and tasteless meal at Seablue, I was itching to get out of Atlantic City.

We did want more more sun the next morning. Again, we were confronted with another policy issue. Checkout is at 11 am and there is no late checkout. After I expressed my dissatisfaction with the front desk over the phone, she said we could leave at noon the latest.

When we finally left, my parting gift was a dirty look from the valet that rolled his eyes at my tip. I guess fetching my car is worth more than $8 to him. To top it off, my rewards card says I have 0 points and they entered my mailing address incorrectly.

I hope this hotel realizes quickly that they have to make some improvements. The building is very nice but the staff needs a crash course in people skills. It is certainly NOT worth the money.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple