“HORRIBLE 40TH BIRTHDAY!”

The Water Club by Borgata
Ranked #4 of 49 Hotels in Atlantic City
Reviewed July 24, 2013

So I planned my 40th bday weekend at the Borgata hotel for months! I specifically asked for the lowest floor possible due to a medical condition. Sure no problem they said. Are you sure? Not a problem. I get there, no lower floors. The Bobby Flay restaurant service was awful couldn't speak english well at all. Lastly the Old Homestead restaurant sat us at a horrible table, no drinks for 35 minutes, forgot an appetizer and they double charged me for it! Then they charged my credit card for a spa appointment that wasn't even mine! Terrible management, service and overall experience. I wouldn't go back for anything. I sent email complaining my situation and they said we are so sorry for your experience. Thank you for your time and email. Really? No we are sorry here is a room comped or here is a 50 gift card for dinner. What a horrible hotel. DON'T GO!

Room Tip: There are none. They wouldn't assist me with a lower level room, why bother.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
6  Thank dawn o
Write a ReviewReviews (1,149)

Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

We went for a fun girls weekend and the goal was obtained! Great hotel, great restaurants and clubs....Only negative, the pool. There were no chairs to lay out on. We had to go on a waiting list for hours. Not good when you pay more to stay at the water club. We almost left and went to HQ at Revel because of this. Finally, we got chairs. I'm not sure I would go back in the summer here. It is not a good pool scene.

• Stayed: July 2013
4  Thank MarieNC13
Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

Went on a Thursday, checking at 1030 pm, only smoking rooms left but when we entered the room no smell of any smoke. There was a little odor in the hallway. Top class room with beautiful color choices. Even the glassware is elegant. Forgot the safe is not in the closet but in the table between the beds. Made sure to get to bed by 3am so we could enjoy the pool. Outside pool had to be 85 degrees, actually thought the indoor pool was too cold compared to the outdoor one. it was packed by 10am. it was nice to sit by the indoor pool and swim outside.
Nice mix of slots, I tried the beach boy new one, great music, was ahead but the music was so good kept playing. I guess that is the idea. Ate at the buffet for lunch and it was fantastic, great fish dishes. The best in AC.

• Stayed: July 2013
3  Thank AcesFull
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I want to first say that I have stayed at the Water Club many times and have enjoyed it every time. That being said, I am not sure I would stay there again as I am disgusted at the behavior of one of the pool bartenders, Shawn. While we were there a member of our party was cut off from drinking for no apparent reason. We asked if it was because they were drunk and were told no, that they were "overserved". HUH? And as far as I can tell sipping on Mimosas throughout a hot summer day is not a crime. There were no complaints from any guests, and it seems to me if the bartender was concerned why keep on serving with absolutely no warning that they felt the drinking was excessive? How does a guest get "overserved"??? We don't serve ourselves. I have never heard such a thing. Funny enough, this same bartender asked us to tip him out BEFORE the other bartenders came on so he wouldn't have to share his tips. And, when he decided to cut off our friend he came out from behind the bar and announced it to the entire pool, where our whole party was. My friend was humiliated! I have been a bartender and know that is absolutely no way to cut someone off, and certainly not someone who dropped over $300 in a day on drinks and food. I actually have no issue with the actual cutting off, what can I say, it's their prerogative. But, the way it was done was humiliating and completely unnecessary. I asked for the manager, Tim, or Tom, and he was really no help, and said that since our friend threatened the bartender, (they wound up in a bit of a verbal tussle), that our friend acted like a terrorist!! I was shocked he used that word, and of course, he was being ridiculous. Oddly, the next day at the pool, there was a girl so drunk she kicked over all of our drinks as she made her way to the bar, apologized and said it was because she was so drunk, and made her way over to Shawn who had no problem serving her another drink. As a professional travel consultant at this point I am extremely hesitant to send any of my clients here. There are certain expectations at the Water Club, and service is one of them. People will get drunk and perhaps unruly, it is AC after all, but it's up to the staff to handle these issues with dignity and NOT insult their guests. That night at the comedy show and B-Bar I had quite a few people come up to me and tell me they could not believe what they saw, and furthermore, they had no idea why our one friend was seemingly singled out, because they were acting no different than any other guest. I sell cruises and often have groups staying in and around the tri-state area for pre and post visits, and the Water Club used to be my favorite recommendation. Next week I am staying at the Revel for the first time to check it out for future clients, who knows, this may be my new go-to.

Room Tip: High floors, corner rooms if possible, they have two windows.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
6  Thank Josie700
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I have stayed here over 25 times since the hotel opened, but my last few stays have been very disappointing. On my latest stay, July 19-21, 2013 my room was absolutely filthy. It smelled of stale cigarette smoke (in a non-smoking room), the carpet was various shades of brown, there was hair all over the bathroom floor and shower area, and to top it all off my sheets had holes! I want to point out that I paid for the stay, so it wasn't a question of getting a "free" room which might have made these deficiencies more acceptable.

On my previous stay in June my television didn't work and the service man came at 12:15 AM to fix it! He told me that there was only one maintenance man on duty from 11 PM to 7 AM, and as such they just couldn't keep up with the property.

Both times when I tried to change rooms I was told by the front desk that the hotel was full, which I believe to be true, and there were no other rooms. There are other choices in Atlantic City, including the Borgata Hotel and the Revel which are cleaner, updated, and might be a better choice if you are looking for a clean room with functioning equipment.

Room Tip: I would ask to see the room first before finalizing my stay. There must be cleaner rooms!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ndmom6910
Reviewed July 20, 2013

Stayed for only one night. The room was clean and modern, it helps that it's one of the newer hotels in Atlantic City. The one thing I liked the best about the hotel was the indoor pool. I loved that it wasn't too big but some people might not like that. I've heard very good things about their spa but I didn't have the chance to try it. There is no casino but it is connected to Borgata by a very short walkway so you are still able to gamble if you felt like it. The Sunbar on the ground floor is a nice quiet place to chill out and have a drink or two.

The hotel is not on the Boardwalk, you need to either drive or take a taxi to go there.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tunalala
Reviewed July 19, 2013

Myself and a couple of colleagues have just returned from Atlantic City where we stayed in The Water Club at The Borgata Hotel.Excellent from the minute we arrived until the time we checked out ...The food the Bars ,The Restaurants are A********
This is not a venue for children however for business or couples this is great fun.You must have to have deep pockets ,alas ,all good things come at a price!!!
We even had a little go on the tables and came out on top..I can't wait for my next trip there.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business