“Loved the uniqueness of the property and the convenience to the boardwalk”

The Chelsea Pub and Inn
Reviewed July 20, 2012

This is an old house - and yes the floors are crooked and you have to be a little careful when navigating the stairs and landings - but this is why we sometimes choose a place like this over a hotel chain. It's different. It's unique. It's a little qwuirky. The Blues Brothers are on the roof. You can't get that too many other places! This is not a cookie cutter hotel, so come in with an open mind and experience Atlantic City this way if you wish. It's right across the street from the Tropicana which couldn't be more convenient. It's just a block or so from the boardwalk and the beach. They were happy to give us beach chairs to take with us to the beach. We loved our room, #24 with the black and white striped wallpaper and black and white bedspread. I chose that room because of the king bed and bathtub and a more 'modern' feel to it. The room had everything we needed. We may have heard voices etc. in the hallways, but we didn't experience any problems with noise once we were in the room. We enjoyed having the bar right next door, adjacent to the property... good for margaritas (ask for sugar on the rim... we're trying to start a trend!!) - and good for late night munchies. Our room was clean, had everything we needed. If you want a linen change, it's best to let someone know you'll be leaving your room and ask that it's done. They don't have a huge staff, but they do the best with what they have. Jeannie, the inn keeper, is charming - love her french accent and enjoyed seeing her little14 year old italian greyhound, Abdullah. The breakfast of breads, cheeses, juice, etc. was enough to curb our hunger until lunchtime. They add a bit more (an egg dish as well as meats) on the weekends. After we were done with the casino, beach, or boardwalk scene, it was good to go 'back home' to the Chelsea (after stopping by the bar for two more margaritas.. with sugar not salt, of course!)

Room Tip: The rooms are all different, look at pictures on their web-site and select what you prefer.

Reviewed July 16, 2012

My sister and I stayed here for two nights and we loved it! It's very well kept and the rooms are clean. We stayed in room 102 and it was plenty of space for the two of us (two king size beds). It was a little hard trying to maneuver shaving in the very small shower but that's really my only complaint! The breakfast was very good and had a lot of variety. They have several outside gardens where you can eat your breakfast or just lounge in the afternoon. The innkeeper is so sweet and very flexible and will do everything she can to make your stay enjoyable. I was afraid the room might be loud with a 24-hour pub downstairs but the only thing we heard were our neighbors coming home at 4am. Room 102 is not affected by any pub noise. We didn't hear any barking dogs either. We would definitely come back here and I recommend it!

Room Tip: Room 102 is large enough for two people or two couples.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 12, 2012

We stayed there for 1 night the next day after our wedding. It was perfect. The building is antique but in a very good condition. The squicky wooden floor only adds to its charm. At our arrival we were greeted by a very nice French lady. She showed us to our room where we found a bottle of complementary shampane from Coppola winery! The room was in Colonial style, very cosy and clean. We were also pleased with breakfast which we had on a terrace. The place is also conveniently located across the street from Tropicana. Overall, we it was a great experience for a very reasonable price of $75 per night.

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed July 11, 2012

I stayed at The Chelsea Pub and Inn for a couple of nights at the end of the June and I have nothing but good things to say about the place and the staff. The room was just right for me (size, decoration, and even though the weather was hot the air conditioning did the job), the staff was very helpful and all in all I liked the atmosphere of the place. And the breakfast was great. Plus the location was perfect for me. I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed July 11, 2012

The Chelsea Pub is not for everyone(ie. those that have never left the country) it is unpretentious and eclectic. No elevator, a very European flavor.
Every room has its own personality, if you don't love one try a another!
The breakfast had some of the best cheese(scrambled eggs !GREAT!) I have had that I didn't buy for myself.
The admission of dogs into the hotel gives it a homey flair (if you like dogs).
The food in the pub is not Fancy, but some of the BEST bar food we have ever had ( and we travel alot), the burgers are EXCELLENT as is the Mexican food.
If you are not into the Casino hype and want a great romantic ( the porch with after hours with a bottle of wine is great) stay, give it a try.
The hostess/manager is a French charm, very friendly and enhances the European feel.
You only live once, try it, Atlantic City of many years ago.

Room Tip: Each room is unique, ask to see what is available.
Reviewed July 11, 2012

Me and my boyfriend were seeing a show at the Borgata and needed a cheap place "just to sleep" on a Saturday night when stayed here in February. I happened to see an online special on their website, advertising "a tiny room for a tiny price" so I called to see what this meant. Turns out the Chelsea Inn has a couple small rooms that share a bathroom with another small room. The rooms are set up so that the bathroom connects in between the two rooms (not out in the hallway) which is ideal for 2 couples or friends. We stayed in room 30 and there was no one in the adjacent room so we ended up with a really great deal considering we paid $49 when every other hotel, including the gross motor inns were charging $200 +. I'm not sure how I'd feel about the bathroom set up if there had been strangers staying in the other room but the bathroom doors are secure and can be locked from the inside when in the bathroom and when in your room, so it's safe. We booked the advertised room 30 special, which included a free drink at the bar and an amazing, amazing breakfast in the beautiful and charming dining room but while there I spoke w/the owner who said they have other rooms with the same set up that they don't advertise. So if you are trying to stay in Atlantic City on a weekend cheap with friends, then these shared rooms would be ideal. And I want to include that this place isn't for college kids trying to party. We are in our late 20's early 30's but met a younger couple at the bar who were definately feeling out of place and then later had the cops called on them (not by us!) Not to say that the rooom isn't small, it is, but the bed was comfortable, room even smelled great, was clean, and very quiet. If you prefer cookie cutter casino hotel rooms and eat at their buffets often, you probably won't appreciate this place or the complimentary and upscale breakfast buffet. The hotel is old and has a ton of character so keep that in mind when you complain that the flooring and staricase is tilted from age (it is and it's awesome). The website lists the different rooms they have available for rent, but my advice is to call to book. And I want to include that this place isn't for college kids trying to party just because it's affordable. We are in our late 20's early 30's but met a younger couple at the bar who were definately feeling out of place and then later had the cops called on them (not by us!) Oh, and if a room isn't occupied before your arrival or after, they let you check in and out pretty much whenever you want. We stayed the next day until 4pm and probably could have stayed longer. I need to come back soon.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TaraHann81
Reviewed July 6, 2012

My fiance and I just came back from a 3 night stay at the Chelsea Pub Inn... it was great! I read a lot of goof reviews and a few negative ones here. The weather was really hot and the window air conditioner worked great. We stayed in room 27 which had a king bed and a full bathroom. If you look on their web site, every single room is decorated differently. Sure the stairs were a little crooked as with old buildings, but after a few drinks, everything evens out. The breakfast was good, but you have to get there around 9:30 am for the best of it. There was a little for everyone's taste. I cannot wait to go back... oh, the price was great too!

Room Tip: This is the place to be!