All reviews a small shopping center pool attendant pool view building next door local vendors nice hotel steam room room service min walk nice pool reception staff third floor balconies taxi cop ac
Selected filters
Reviewed January 17, 2017

I paid £200 a night for this hotel. $730,000 COP for night. This is a decent hotel, but it is not worth this money. The hotel is NOT on the beach. The pool is small and you cannot get a sunchair. There is no bar and no nightlife. At night there is nothing to do. I do find the beach in this part of Santa Marta to be the best.4
Be careful of the 'ripoff' mini bar. A beer in an restaurant is between $2,000 - $8,000 cop. A can of beer in the fridge is $8,000 cop. Worse still is they put a bottle of EVIAN water in the fridge for $19,000 cop. This is just an outrageos rip off. Designed to trip people up. You are meant to be having a relaxing holiday and this kind of thing detracts from holiday making. Also to be charged £45 for an international call seems expensive too. Colombia is an poor and affordable Country, this hotel, seems to think it is in central London. Next door is Irotama, which looks a much better bet.

Room tip: Most rooms are ok. View of Irotama hotel will annoy you, because you will wish you stayed there.
Date of stay: January 2017
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Daniela L, General Manager at Mercure Santa Marta Emile, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2017

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Mercure Santa Marta Emile. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

Reviewed January 4, 2017 via mobile

The hotel is quite new and is located outside the city of Santa Marta. To go to the city Center a taxi is needed. There is a supermarket close to the hotel (10 min walk) but unfortunately there is no ATM close. The rooms are very nice and very clean. The bed is incredibly comfortable. There is a mini bar and a TV including English channels.

The hotel has a swimming pool, which had the perfect temperature but is in the shade from around 2:30pm onwards. There is all the time quite some loud Latin American music which is nice when you want to do party but not at all when you want to relax or take a nap at the pool. So from a 4 star hotel you would expect some more style with a more decent or less loud music.
The gym has AC and is ok but misses quite some curls since the maximum weight was 25 pounds.

The worst part of the hotel is it's service and staff (except of the cleaning or room staff) Nearly nobody speaks English and I have never experienced such an inefficient and incompetent staff in my travel history. You need to plan around 3 or more hours for having dinner or lunch because the food takes forever until it arrives and you are lucky if they bring you the food and drinks you ordered and if it's warm. It's completely not understandable why every day there was a lack of Coca Cola and Club Colombia (local beer) especially if a supermarket is very close. Moreover, you should always check your bills since there might be quite some mistakes.

In addition, the reception staff barely speaks English which is not acceptable for such a hotel chain. Moreover, every day our room cards did not work, which is quite a pain if you always need to go down to the reception from the 17th floor.

Overall, the hotel itself is good but clearly misses a good manager who trains and controls the staff. The service is definitely not European standard.

Date of stay: January 2017
Trip type: Traveled with family
Daniela L, General Manager at Mercure Santa Marta Emile, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2017

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Hotel. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

Reviewed December 18, 2016 via mobile

I ended up choosing mercure as it had much better rates than the other hotels in the area (bello horinte) and the reviews in here were very good. I must admit that I loved the experience that I had with them!

First of all, the hotel is almost new, everything from the rooms to the restaurant and the pool area is in perfect conditions. The decoration is modern and everything is always clean, that's something I pay a lot of attention to. The staff was always helpful since the first day, they allowed me to check in very early in the morning so that I could enjoy everything from the very first day. As you can see in the pictures, the rooms are comfortable and the shower is amazing. As everything's new, everything works perfectly.

The pool area is a good place to stay at, enjoy the sun and have a drink! The bar prices are a little high, but what I did is that I went to carulla in Zazue (a small shopping mall that's 5 minute walk away from the hotel, with good restaurants and stores) and bought water and snacks that I always had with me at the hotel.

Date of stay: December 2016
1  Thank luisTravelReviews
Daniela L, General Manager at Mercure Santa Marta Emile, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2016

Dear Mr Felipe,

We appreciate your comments about your stay at the Mercure Santa Marta Emile.
It is always a pleasure to receive feedback as you did. I will be sharing your comments with our team. I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.
Thank you for coming at Merure Santa Marta Emile and we hope to see you again very soon.

Best Regards,

Reviewed September 25, 2016

Great for travel or pleasure. Location is wonderful, just 5 minutes away from the airport. Beach is one short walk from the hotel, not crowded which is a plus. Breakfast is good, but restaurant could be a lot better. We had room service twice and it wasn´t great.

Date of stay: August 2016
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Daniela L, General Manager at Mercure Santa Marta Emile, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2016

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the review of our hotel, We are really glad to know that you enjoyed your stay with us, also we will be sharing your comments with our cheff in order to improve our service restaurant.

We hope to see you again very soon.

Reviewed August 28, 2016

Date of stay: August 2016
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Daniela L, General Manager at Mercure Santa Marta Emile, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2016