“Don't even consider staying in this lousy place.”

Hotel Tamaca Beach Resort
Ranked #5 of 67 Hotels in Santa Marta
White Plains, New York
“Don't even consider staying in this lousy place.”
Reviewed April 3, 2011

This was the worst hotel I have ever stayed in, it's more a motel than a hotel, I have stayed in motels travelling in the US that are much better than this lousy hotel, and you pay for at least a 3 to 4 stars in the US, it's pathetic! what a joke, don't ever stay in this place, I have no idea how anyone will ever return to this cheap motel and paying the prices they charge, definitely he people in charge they need to look in the dictionary and find out what a hotel is,from the moment you walk in to the moment you walk into your room, bed, bathroom sheets, bed cover, bad frame furniture, everything is at best a motel 6 in the US. Stay away from this lousy place, there's nothing attractive in el Rodadero. lousy beaches, people are loud, if you go to the beach you have people constantly bothering you to buy something, when you walk in the streets it's the same, I really have no idea why any foreign would go to this place.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank lepanto1960

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed March 19, 2011

I've travelled around the world, staying at all sorts of hotels, from 5 star to no star, and this is the first time I've written a review with a complaint.
The hotel has 5 floors with 18 rooms on each floor. The 2nd and third floors have been remodelled and are nice. We stayed on the fourth floor which is an older renovation, but still OK. The fifth floor is currently being remodelled Monday thru Friday from 8 to 5, with extensive hammering and pounding. The sixth floor is like a dungeon, that hasn't been renovated in decades. Our first room was on the third floor west side, which over looked the roof of the restaurant and the sea view was blocked by trees, They moved us to the sixth floor east side which was unacceptable, They then gave us a room on the forth floor east side, which had a nice view of the ocean, however the construction was directly over head. the room could not be enjoyed during the hours of 8 to 5 due to the noise.
A couple of other problems with our room was the volume of noise from the air conditioner and the lack of control of the AC unit, it was either full blast or off. Another problem was the windows. The wind blows fairly hard at night, the wind was making a loud howling noise when the windows were closed, it was so bad we had to leave the windows open at least 6 inches to cut down on the noise. This created noise problems from the beach due to the dogs barking and people playing soccer at 5 am.
Some good points
- the employees were very helpful and nice
- the pool is clean, large and well laid out
- the beach is large, clean and not crowded during the week

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 4, 2011

The beach resort is in a great location right on the beach itself and is a hotel of a good standard and I enjoyed the amenities. The staff apart from reception are super friendly and are of great help. I would suggest you need good spanish as most of the reception and excursion team dont speak good english. AVOID THIS HOTEL IN HIGH SEASON as its not worth the doubled price.

The beach resort is NOT the same as the Torre Norte which is 100 yards down the road. I spent the first night in this barely better than a Hostel for which I was charged only 60k pesos less than the beach resort and the experiences are not comparable in the slightest. Avoid the Torre Norte as its simply not worth the money.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Grande_m
Lisbon, Portugal
Reviewed December 20, 2010

Very good, with all facilities needed. Clean and confortable. Good Location. Excelent restaurant. 4 stars fit perfectely

Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed July 31, 2010

Our experience at Tamaca was good by US standards, excellent by Colombian standards. When I was booking I was a little nervous because the US standards are a bit higher than Colombian (service, cleanliness, etc), but we were pleasantly surprised.

Pros: The service was above average, people were attentive, the location was perfect, and the price was a bargain. There is a taxi service on-site, best way to get around. There are bars, restaurants, and shops within walking distance, though the hotel's restaurant is good. There's a tour service on site (Oliverstour - I think), service is OK, but you can get better prices if you step on the beach and look for the tour guides (actually, you don't have to look, they find you right away). If you go this route, make sure you know your Spanish, check that the tour guide belongs to the co-op (they wear badges), and always, always get a receipt.

Cons: Brush up on your Spanish if you don't want to get stuck. One of the people in my party didn't know Spanish, he had no issues with the staff, they either knew enough or found someone who did... but then again the rest of the group was fluent. Outside of the resort, is definite must.

Other than that just be ready to enjoy a relaxing vacation, Santa Marta is beautiful, people are laid back, so don't expect urgency, but then again, you're going on vacation... so chill and have a coco loco or a Cuba libre

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank beach_babe80
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed April 15, 2010

One of the only hotels I've stayed in in Colombia - so not much basis for comparison. But it was clean, staff were friendly and the views are fab. Over holiday seasons it gets a bit noisy, as it faces the beach, where people party all night long - but suspect no hotel will avoid some noise. Free wi-fi. Food is average, and the coffee is HORRID. And could really benefit from coffee/tea-making facilities in the room. But really - all very decent, and certainly less dull than normal business hotels.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
New York
Reviewed August 23, 2009

We had spent a few nights camping (my husband, my brother and I) at el parque Tayrona (aviatur's camp site), and once returning to Santa Marta wanted to stay in a comfortable hotel. We tried getting in to the Decameron without a reservation and failed. Then we went to el rodadero and were able to get a decent fare for the three of us at el hotel tamaca. We had a room for three, and were lucky to get some sort of basic suite. My husband and I had our own room and bathroom that connected to my brother's room that had two double beds. The rooms were very comfortable and clean. They use white sheet which i always love. This way i can tell if they are really clean. (I am very picky on cleanliness.) The bathrooms were very outdated, and strangely there was a hole in the bathroom. I believe that all the rooms in the hotel have beach view.

We had food included in our package, and truly enjoyed our meals. The meals offered are preselected by the chef. The pool was a nice change from having spent previous days at the beach in el parque tayrona and villa concha. The rodadero is not the best beach, but its a good transitioning area to go for day trip or after/before to other beaches in the area. My husband and brother did not even go to rodadero once while there. There was no problem with the service at the hotel, but was deeply disappointed by their telephone service. I had read their instructions before making calls and was careful to not let the phone ring more than 3 times or else i would be charged a minute. Eventhough, I was careful they added these charges and while checkout i complained. After complaining, they took a few of the charges off but not all. Do not use their phone service. Use the phone minutes offered outside much better, the only reason i used theirs was that i needed to make an urgent call to Medellin and the US.

We were fortunate enough to run in to a taxi driver while leaving el parque tayrona who was absolutely great. We were initially planning to take the bus to la autopista, then wait for another bus and eventually end up in rodadero area. He offered to take us to santa marta at a reasonable cost. The next day we met the taxi driver, Elvis, again to do somewhat of a day tour inlcuding taganga, old city santa marta, and villa concha. We highly recommend him, since he seemed to know the area well and was very fair in pricing. This is his cell phone number if you wish to contact him [--]-Elvis. You may tell him that Camilo recommends him, although I doubt he will remember my husband.

Good luck on your trip.