“EXCELLENT IN ALL ASPECTS”

Estelar Santamar Hotel & Convention Center
Ranked #15 of 68 Hotels in Santa Marta
Chicago, Illinois
“EXCELLENT IN ALL ASPECTS”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2010

The rooms was very comfortable, with good air condition which is important at the coast in Colombia because the weather is so hot. The rooms very clean and nice--- right a few steps from the sand beach! The location is great very close from the Rodadero by taxi (about 5 minutes).. very easy access to taxis thru the front desk.

The main factor was the honesty of the staff at the hotel... My daughter left her bag with personal belongings and the next day when we discovered the bag was missing, we asked the staff and within second someone was at our door stating that they had it locked... we just needed to identify the bag (color, etc.)... everything was in there and we thanked him and the hotel and provided this information to the hotel for the staff member to be recognized.

the breakfast buffet was great every morning with different menus.

Thanks for allowing us to spend some quality and relaxing time without worries... I would recommend anyone the hotel... I didn't know this is part of the chain of the Intercontinental Hotels.

Myriam Flynn
Chicago, IL
USA

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Gilbert, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2010

I recently stayed at the Santamar the week of October 13th and was very impressed the hotel. My husband and I stayed in a cabana that was literally five steps from the beach. Our room was very comfortable and had very large king bed, mini-bar, TV, blow-dryer, large shower, and a lockbox in the closet. The hotel also offered two hours of free internet each day per room. My husband loved the hammock that was hung outside our front porch and we actually fell asleep listening to the soft spa music that is played on the hotel grounds. Unlike another review, we did not have any issues with our air conditioning unit. When we came in we actually found that it worked too well as we froze when we walked in!! We quickly learned that we didn't need to keep it on full blast.

Our first afternoon at the hotel, I misplaced my bag on the grounds and discovered it missing the following day when I went searching for my sun block. I called security and a gentleman came to our room and let me know that he picked it up and was holding it for me. He brought my bag and asked me to revise the contents and logged a lengthy written report. After the event I spoke with a vendor on the beach and he said that nothing ever goes lost at the hotel and he pointed at several cameras that provide 24 hour surveillance of the property. I was really impressed by the professionalism of the security staff and happy that I was able to recover my 100 SPF expensive sun block (other folks in my party were burnt after a day in the sun)

The hotel was clean, the rooms had plenty of space, and we did not get harassed by vendors on the hotel beach. We also met a great vendor on the beach who sold us an amazing tour package: private boat, captain, tour guide for one day to a local beach and sandbar. This tour was our highlight of the trip. We were also able to get a great massage by Lorena who was another beach vendor. The hotel was a 5000 peso cab ride from Santa Marta where we would walk around at night after dinner. I didnt find the bar on site to be worth the high price. I would recommend running into town and buying cheap liquor to keep in your room or buying cheap beer from the beach vendor. We would gladly return to this hotel for another vacation in Santa Marta.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank northsideirish2
Winston-Salem, NC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2010

Second time I have stayed at this hotel. Had a 2 week vacation and loved every second. Staff is very helpful, even for one that does not speak Spanish. Beach is perfect with kioskos that protect from the sun and with little interruption from vendors. Recommend the small suites that are separate from the main hotel. Much better than anything we found in the Rodadero. Ask for Wilson as your waiter. He will take care of you in a professional manner. Manage your internet time and you will be okay. Buffet is okay, but rather repetitive. Could be better, but small complaint. Santa Marta has a way to go to be a world class destination, but it is moving in the right direction.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
H-Estelar, E-Commerce Manager at Estelar Santamar Hotel & Convention Center, responded to this review, February 5, 2010
We appreciate your time in sharing your experience at the Estelarr Santamar Hotel. Your constructive feedback will help us to continually improve. We hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to our Hotel in the near future once again.
Orlando, FL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2009

Beach with gray sand, very soft and clean. Do not walk barefoot at noon on the sand!! Too hot.
Room clean and spacious. AC kind of weak. They charge broadband internet per hour. I did not like this system.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank FelipeM
Estelar09, E-Commerce Coordinator at Estelar Santamar Hotel & Convention Center, responded to this review, May 8, 2009
Dear Guest: Thank you for your comments. We are looking forward to make your next visit to Colombia the best stay with Hoteles Estelar. We want to invite you to use the services of another of our destinations. Please let us know about your experience in our Hotels it is very important to us in order to be better each day.
Bedfordshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2008

This was booked by my girlfriend who got a package deal from bogota. We spent 3 nights at the hotel which was a really nice beach-side get-away. I agree with other reviewers, its not luxury (which i don't particularly like anyway) but good, clean, friendly, well sorted hotel close to the beach.

The accomodation was a small, upstairs cabin with air-con which was turned on by the maid and off when we came back from dinner (I wish we could have turned it permanantly off!). The room was clean and tidy and basic but nice, although late night music until 12pm could be heard from the main hotel area.

The food was good, breakfast very nice with plenty of fruit.

The hotel is quite far out of Santa Marta but you can get taxis everywhere and we did use it as a base to get to Taganga (good scuba diving and fish meals but not so clean) and Tayrona Park (make sure you choose the right entrance and not the one with the exhausting1.5 hour walk). We were going to go to Cartagena but it was too much of a trek and you had to leave aound 6am.

The hotel facilities were fine, not spectacular, we went jet-skiing on the last day and the hotel allowed us to shower and checkout at 3pm which was nice. The deal also included travel to and from the airport which was quite close.

• Liked — Great alrounder especially if you are not a always 5* type of person
  • Disliked — Out of town, require taxis to get anywhere.
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
1 Thank BedfordshireClimber
Argentina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2007

I stayed at SantaMar for four days. It is a resort-like hotel: open, nice vegetation, an open restaurant and service at the beach. Two pools (not too big, but ok).
PROS:
- EXCELLENT Convention Center. Best in the area. All new, very good meeting facilities. Very nice.
- STAFF: very attentive. SERVICE very good.
- LOCATION: very near the airport and on the beach
- CLEANLINESS

NOT EXCELLENT, NOT TOO BAD:
- ROOMS: you can choose among standard rooms, wood cabins near the pool or suites in a 4 stories building. I picked up an Estelar Suite. It was very large, too rooms, two bathrooms, a living room, a terrace. Very clean. Very simple. NOT LUXURIOUS.
Comfortable.
- FOOD: little variety. Open restaurant is not very large. I guess it must get crowded at high season. There is another restaurant which was not working now ( low season) , which is not at open air. It seems too close, not very nice.
- FACILITIES, generally speaking, are quite simple. If you look for a luxury hotel, this is niot your choice. I guess you should try another country with better hotel infrastructure if you seek for luxury.
.- BEACHES: everybody says Santa Marta has white beaches ( compared to Cartagena, whose beaches are very dark). They are whiter than Cartagena, but you should not expect a white caribbean beach with blue water. Water is very nice, warm. Some beaches (far from the hotel, nearer to Santa Marta town are nicer, surrounded by mountains. However, again: also beach infrastructure (restaurants, chairs, etc) is very simple and sometimes poor.

• Disliked — Not luxury.
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Sil2006
Lima, Peru
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2005

I spent one week late August in Santamar hotel, located in Santa Marta Colombia (in Colombia's Caribbean Coast). I choose that location because it was the only available in my time share company for that specific week. I'd never been in Santa
Marta before.
Nevertheless, it was a very good surprise. First of all, Colombia schools have a different calendar so most of kids are back to school late August so beaches are not that crowded.
Hotel is nice, clean and beach front. There are different options from "all inclusive" to "2 meals a day", etc. which are low cost and very good quality. There are three restaurants so you have several food options for the week. There is night entertainment for adults and kids in the hotel and also in Santa Marta town that you can arrange with the hotel staff. I felt Santa Marta area and particularly Santamar hotel very safe so you can lay down in front of the beach an relax. Beach is excellent, warm water, fine sand and fresh air.

26 Thank JMPARDAL