“A Natural Treasure of Colombia”

Parque Nacional Natural Tayrona
Book In Advance
More Info
$56.00*
and up
Tayrona National Park and Beach Day Trip from...
Ranked #3 of 81 things to do in Santa Marta
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: This 37,000 acre ecotourism park includes reefs, beaches, mangroves and Tayrona Indian ruins.
Reviewed December 23, 2012

My wife, I and a mutual friend booked a day tour to Playa Cristal, and spent the day on the beach exploring the underwater habitat of many littoral and marine creatures. The landscape, terrain and scenery of Tayrona is breathtaking. Colombians pay an entry fee of COP 13,500 while non-Colombians (including residents) are required to pay a higher fee (COP$ 37,500). The park is a must-see when visiting the north coast of Colombia.

1  Thank Eulenspeegel
Write a ReviewReviews (5,373)
All reviews
in 41 reviews
"one night"
in 38 reviews

Reviewed December 22, 2012

For sea lovers, beautiful Carabbean waters, amazing color, warm and nice for diving, 27 degrees in September. Enjoy the best water in the region.

Reviewed December 21, 2012

I was planning to stay in Tayrona for 2 nights, but finally stayed there 5 nights. you really don´t want to leave. the only reason to leave is that you have a flight or that u r out of cash and the nearest cash machine is in Santa Marta. be sure, that u bring enough cash with u, cuz there is only one restaurant where u can pay with card. ( and they accept cards only after 1pm).
There several options to stay : campings in Arrecife and San Juan. You can´t swim in the Arrecife beach because of huge waves, the closest beach is 20 min walking ) which is absolutely not a problem because u enjoy amazing vievs all ur way) . San Juan camping is tooooo crowded because of the awesome beach .
Prices for accomodation vary: hammock for 7-8 euro, camping for 14-15, or cottage (cabaña) 140 euro for cottage for 5- 6 persons max.

There r several walking routes, u have to consult previously at the reception of ur camping. And walk these routes in group.

There r so many things to tell about this amazing place. To be brief I will just say that in Tayrona u don´t feel any negative emotions, u r permanently in contact with nature, every moment u r amazaed by smth new, when enetering Tayrona u leave behind all anxiousness and just purify ur soul and recharge ur life energy when listening to birds, waves and wind in the trees.

Reviewed December 21, 2012

Was so excited at prospect of going to Tayrona, chilling on the beaches and falling asleep listening to the sound of the sea swinging gently in a hammock.....disappointed was an understatement!

I had looked into Tayrona a lot before going and had found it quite difficult to have clear explanation of the accommodation situation once there.

We got bus from Dreamer Hostel to park, got left off, signed in, paid and off we went.

Lovely 45 min walk through jungle to arrive in Arrecife, we went on through the jungle to Cabo San Juan which took another bit of a walk - found it difficult to work out how to find our way cos there are v poor signs/directions.

Arrived there and queued for ages to get our hammock - got there and we were told that we had to take a "down" hammock, we asked what difference was and he told us "its nicer, not as hot, fresher, can hear the sea and hammocks are better but thats the "up" ones and they have none left"! So i was already beginning to feel it was not quite what i had imagined.

Off we went to be shown our hammock and that is when the disappointment really set in, it was like a open area, with black plastic covering as the roof. The hammocks were really close to each other and the mozzie nets looked like they had seen better days.

Decided to just go to the beach. ITs was beautiful, the water was so clear, sand white postcard perfect so figured it was worth it....until the rain came. There are showers which is great cos the sea is really really salty. When there the rain started and it absolutely poured for a few hours, which is fine and I was thinking at least the air would be bit fresher for when we went to sleep...went back to hammock, big rip in the plastic above my hammock so had to slid it along a bit to stop it being drowned.

Restaurant was good but crazy prices. Went to back togo to sleep....i knew it wasnt going to be that comfortable but nothing prepared me for the smell - i initially thought it was my runners (got wet earlier) but then realised it was the hammocks - they were damp and as you lay in it, it would come around your head and I felt at points i was being suffocated in the damp stale smell - there was absolutely no breeze that could get through. I couldnt wait for the sun to rise so i could get up. SPent the night thinking how lucky the others who were by the sea were....in the morning met people who had stayed up there and it was washout cos rain had gone straight in and all the hammocks were wet and the wind was too much!

THe small bit of the park we saw was lovely, the beaches and water are just amazing but the state of accommodation for the price you pay is crazy. I would recommend staying right by the entrance in a nice hostel and then go in for the day, wouldnt recommend staying. If you really wanted to stay there in the park i would at least bring your own hammock. Spoke with the man in Cabo about who owned the site and he said it was private so basically none of the money goes back into it which is sad as it could be something really special.

I can look back now and think at least we know not to go again but for a short trip i wish we had used our time to go somewhere else along the coast are loads of recommended places all along the coast that we had been told about at the hostel but didnt listen....lesson learned!!

2  Thank nicki g
See more reviews
Reviewed December 17, 2012

If you want to spend 6 hours on a bus to stay a couple of hours on the beach then go ahead. It just takes forever for a bus that takes you to the beach due to the really bad conditions of the road. I got picked up at my hotel around 9am and I got to the beach almost at 1pm, leave beach around 4pm to get back to hotel about 6pm; a good tip: once at beach I found out that you can get a motorboat at Taganga beach which takes you to playa kristal in about an hour for the same price. Beach is really nice and clean but make sure you ask for prices of food at the nearby restaurant when you order as they are inclined to overcharge you if you don't. Overall: if you been to other Caribbean islands like I did, then you'll find this place not all that!