“Best Steak and Service in Santa Marta”
Review of El Fogolar Parrilla Bar - CLOSED

El Fogolar Parrilla Bar
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Good american standard service is impossible to find in Santa Marta. This restaurant is owned by a couple who lived in Canada and who are well traveled. They run their restaurant to the standard of a fine dinning restaurant in the US. They have excellent steak, and a great choice of items for a small location. This is a great place for a romantic night with your significant other or the family. It is the perfect size for personnel service. The staff is very well trained and the owner is on site. Safe food and clean, which is not always a guarantee with other Restaurants in Santa Marta.

Reviewed August 28, 2012

We read several reviews of El Fogolar on Tripadvisor, so we thought we'd give it a try. The other reviewers did not let us down. The decor is clean, spare, modern, and bright. We were served by the proprietor, Nelson Suarez, who figured out inside of three minutes that we didn't speak Spanish and asked us if we'd like to speak English instead, which he speaks with complete fluency.

My wife ordered the tenderloin (what in the U.S. is known as a filet mignon), which came wrapped in bacon and covered with sauteed mushrooms and was tender and juicy even though well done. I ordered the Ancha, a cut not comparable to steaks in The States. He described it as having some fat along the edge and lots of flavor and it was just that, though a little tougher than I'm used to. My wife ordered a baked potato with sour cream and chives and I ordered cayeye, mashed banana covered with a salty queso and served with a tomato onion sauce on the side. Very different and very tasty, thanks to the queso and sauce.

Dessert was a casatta Fogolar, the house dessert, served chilled with condensed milk, Brazil nuts, and fruit, drizzled with chocolate. Delicious with a good blend of textures.

I strongly advise trying the limon daquiri. Sweet and tart and cold, perfect after a hot, dusty walk.

The atmosphere is extremely relaxed, as is customary. We practically had to put our credit card in our server's hands (Nelson had to leave to pick his kids up from school). We will absolutely be back before we leave Santa Marta.

Reviewed August 9, 2012

We were in Santa Marta in the last week of June. Trusting the reviews on Tripadvisor, I took my wife and 3 year old daughter for lunch.

I believed it was owner who came to our table to help my wife with the menu choices, and he was kind to explain how they select and treat the meat to make it more tender. I ordered the baby-beef and it was one of the best pieces of meat I had, very tender indeed.

We were more than satisfied with the service and the food. The owner also was kind to call a cab to take us back to our hotel. So if you are looking for a nice atmosphere but not pretentious and the best steak - I fully recommend this restaurant, you won't be dissapointed.

Reviewed July 31, 2012 via mobile

Excellent service , great food, great quality steak - tender, perfectly cooked. Would go again. Catch a cab, a little away from the centre, only a few dollars in a taxi though.

Reviewed July 3, 2012 via mobile

Excelent service and incredible food. If you're craving for meat the place to go is El Fogolar in Santa Marta. Also, try out the curry salmon and the beef carpaccio. Geat meal experience!!