“Lovely hotel with great staff”

Casa de Isabella - a Kali Hotel
Ranked #2 of 67 Hotels in Santa Marta
Reviewed July 23, 2012

I arrived quite late from Bogotá, but the staff was very kind, warm and welcoming. Indeed, I must say although the hotel is beautiful and well-appointed, the friendly and helpful staff was the best part of my stay. The made-to-order breakfast was quite good. Although my room was directly across from the breakfast area, I didn't experience any noise. If I have any complaint it is that the room was somewhat dark, but due to the oppressive heat and humidity, I'm not so sure that was a bad thing.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
brian_sutcliffe, Owner at Casa de Isabella - a Kali Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2012

Thank you for the wonderful review and we hope you can stay with us again soon.

There are newer reviews for Casa de Isabella - a Kali Hotel

Reviewed July 9, 2012

Recently we stayed at Casa de Isabella in Santa Marta and were pleasantly surprised by the magnificent service and beautiful house. The whole staff is there to make your stay better. The breakfast is also very good. I recommend Casa de Isabella and hope to come back soon - we need attentive hotels like these to improve Colombia´s image around the world.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Keekeeseetah1
Management response:Responded July 13, 2012

Thank you for the wonderful review. We greatly appeciate it and look forward to your return.

Reviewed July 8, 2012

Very clean and modern rooms; walking distance to the beach or to the very good restaurants in the square nearby. Great service (English or Spanish), and tasty breakfasts!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
brian_sutcliffe, Owner at Casa de Isabella - a Kali Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2012

Thank you for the review and we hope you will return soon.

Reviewed July 8, 2012

I wanted to surprise my wife for our very first wedding anniversary; and after looking for some cities and places I decided for Santa Marta and Casa de Isabella. My decision was based on quality, and because it seemed like a quite romantic place. Besides, when I called them to book, they were very kind to me and when I told them it was for our anniversary I was offered special treats to make our stay an unforgettable one. And it was so!

They picked up us at the airport and the driver kept our destination secret to my wife, so it was really a surprise for her when we arrived. The place was exquisitely decorated and the attention from the very beginning was special. Our room was not ready (the previous guest had been smoking even tough it is a non smoking hotel), and they wouldn't give us the room until it was totally clean. In the meantime they offered us another room to change clothes so we could go out and enjoy the city.

Back in the hotel, our room -suit number 10- was ready and was even more than we expected in every aspect: huge comfortable bed, great bathroom (with natural light), a balcony were you could see the tamarind tree, and a second floor (a terrace, in fact), with our own private jacuzzi, and outdoor furniture; and what made it even more special: the view of the Santa Marta bay in all its beauty.

The hotel only offers breakfast (I'll talk more about it later); but I wanted a special dinner for me and my wife in our anniversary night. So people in the front desk helped me to contact a restaurant and they made arrangements to make it possible to bring the food to our suit (in behalf of the restaurant, they made my wife's favorite dish, even though it was not part of the menu). And they contacted a flower store, and decorated the room for us (roses everywhere). I took my wife for a walk while they secretly set up the suit. I hadn't to move a finger.

My wife was very surprised when we returned and found our room fully decorated, with a table and chairs, roses, soft music, a bottle of wine, soft light, and a waiter waiting for us to serve dinner. That moment, and my wife's face and happiness, made it worthy. I must say it was a great weekend we spend there and, indeed, an unforgettable one.

We had only one complain: breakfast time. There was only one person in the kitchen and many guests to attend at the same time; so it took us an hour to have our breakfast and it was poor. And this happened to us the two mornings we were there. It was particularly annoying the second morning because they knew we had to leave for the airport and the previous night we specifically asked for the breakfast early in the morning. We had to take a "second" breakfast at the airport.

If they improve their breakfast service, there would be no complains at all. It's a great place to stay, and a very romantic one.

Room Tip: If you like the sun and enjoy privacy, as well as beautiful views, get a suit with your private terr...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Management response:Responded July 13, 2012

First of all thank you so much for the wonderful review I think it shows how hard we really do try to accomadate our guests and reviews like this are greatly appreciated.

Secondly it shows you stayed in February yet review was just published now. I am not sure why Trip Advisor just published now. Anyway we have worked and changed a lot especially with breakfast system. We hired two additional people and now have a breakfast table with breads, cerals, juice and coffees as well. So now the our employees can get breakfasts out quickly and guests have been extremely happy. We even added Shade Sails over breakfast area and additional table on terrace with another shade Sail for additonal seating. Thanks so much again for the review as we are always trying to improve and day by day we are getting every bit better. We have grown so much in the last year.

We are solely focused on being the best we can be and have invested heavily in our staff and our guest processes. I believe we need to always try to improve as that is what will make Casa de Isabella the best choice in Santa Marta.

Reviewed July 7, 2012

This remodelled house near the center of santa marta is the place to stay if what you want is a good location and great service, not for the beach as that is not really close. All the staff makes you feel like at home. The breakfast from the arepa to the eggs are remarkable, the price seemend of to me for the comfort. As a typical boutique there is no restaurant or gym. The small pool and terrace are nice.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Management response:Responded July 13, 2012

Thanks so much for the review. When we read these we know we are getting better and these reviews are our rewards.

Reviewed June 29, 2012

I was pleasantly surprised with this hotel, with big rooms, clean, comfy linens and sheets and a spacious and clean bathroom. The room came equipped with almost everything, and had a great manual that included everything from ordering food, to how to call different countries. I was quite impressed with the level of detail that the manual had as this is not something you would typically find in other hotels (speaking of the level of detail here). The products that the hotel had were also top notch (L'occitaine).
The service was excellent. There were some minor glitches, for example, we called and ordered breakfast for the next morning and had asked that the breakfast be delivered to our room, but somehow there was a miscommunication, and it was not. Nevertheless, the staff was super helpful in helping us book taxis, finding a hotel to stay in our next destination, and giving us general advise.
What was also impressive was that we left to go to Tayrona park the 2nd evening we were there, and left our luggage with these guys. On return from the park the following day, we were both very muddy and needed showers so that we could head to the airport to catch our flight to our next destination. The manager graciously allowed us to use one of the rooms to freshen up and get dressed for our flight.
Overall, having stayed in several 5 star hotels before, I would definitely rate this on par with other 4 or 5 star hotels and recommend others to stay here.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Management response:Responded July 10, 2012

Thanks for the great review and especially the part about the manual. We spent a lot of time trying to build out all information we can offer guests in both spanish and english. We are constantly building it and as you can see is why we have a ringed binder. Thanks again and we await your return!

Reviewed June 27, 2012

We had an amazing time at the small top notch hotel. The rooms were beautiful and the service was extremely helpful, friendly and warm. The rooms are light and airy with great touches . We loved it and almost didn't want to leave!

Room Tip: The suites are fantastic but we also stayed in the other rooms on the second floor and they were bi...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Management response:Responded July 10, 2012

Thank you for your wonderful review. We really feel we have a great team and it is nice to see these reviews.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Santa Marta
Zuana Beach Resort
Zuana Beach Resort
#8 of 67 in Santa Marta
Villa Maria Tayrona - a Kali Hotel
Villa Maria Tayrona - a Kali Hot...
#1 of 3 in Tayrona National Park
Hotel Boutique Don Pepe
Hotel Boutique Don Pepe
#5 of 67 in Santa Marta

Been to Casa de Isabella - a Kali Hotel? Share your experiences!