“Great Boutique Hotel”

Casa de Isabella - a Kali Hotel
Ranked #3 of 69 Hotels in Santa Marta
Reviewed October 20, 2011

I found Casa de Isabella to be the perfect blend of boutique hotel charm combined with all the amenities you'd find in a modern hotel.
There is obvious attention to detail throughout the hotel, and it is evident that an emphasis was placed on interior design.
Each room I went in was inviting and filled with interesting decor, and I can't say enough about the modern amenities.
I will be back in Santa Marta in a couple of months, and have already book my stay with Casa de Isabella.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Daniel B
brian_sutcliffe, Owner at Casa de Isabella - a Kali Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2011

We enjoyed having you and look forward to your return visit. Next time the villa near Tayrona will be ready and we hope you can visit.

Reviewed October 19, 2011

We chose this hotel after reading reviews on tripadvisor, nice hotel, the staff is friendly, nice rooms, good breakfast and a very pleasant terrace, a pity that the location is a bit unfavorable, the street at night darkens and the surroundings need some development, Santa Marta in general needs some improvement in their street and nearby beaches

1  Thank PHTRAVELER5
brian_sutcliffe, Owner at Casa de Isabella - a Kali Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2011

I would like to thank you for your reviews and your impression of the hotel and staff service. I am sorry to read about your impression of Santa Marta. We are located between the most popular Parque de los Novios and 1 block from the new Marina. We feel that this is the ideal location and centrally better than any other hotel and reason we purchased Casa de Isabella. Santa Marta itself is much different than Cartagena in it's appeal. The beautiful beachs of Tayrona, great restaurants in Novios, Marina ..etc It offers the vibe of real Colombia and why so many are finding it now versus more touristy options. Santa Marta is a work in process and we hope we are the trend setters in offering our guests the first of high quality service and design in Santa Marta. I hope when you do return I can personally organize some activities to make your stay most enjoyable. I hope you take me up on this as we only want 100% satisfaction for our guests.

Reviewed October 11, 2011

My wife and I stayed at Casa de Isabella in September during our honeymoon after meeting the hotel's owner, Brian, while standing in the security line at the Bogota airport. First of all, Brian is a great guy - by some insane coincidence it emerged that Brian was from my hometown outside of Philly - and he gave us the lowdown on traveling Colombia and invited us into the first class lounge as his guest as we waited for our connection...which was nice for two travel-weary travelers coming off an overnight flight. Anyway, we never planned on visiting Santa Marta, but after an impromptu trip to Punta Gaillinas in La Guajira, we decided to spend the night in Santa Marta and needed a place to stay. Before we left for Punta Gallinas (and no internet access for about 4 days), I sent Brian an email asking if he could arrange a room for us at Casa de Isabella the evening we were going to be in town, which he did. Anyway, I can't tell you how nice it was arriving at Casa de Isabella after four days sleeping in hammocks and not showering. The hotel is newly-renovated and beautiful and the rooms have all the amenities you could want - even Apple TV! Brian had set us up in one of their nicest suites (which included a rooftop jacuzzi overlooking the harbor) and we were living it up. Furthermore, the hotel staff were uber-friendly and helpful, pointing us in the direction of great restaurants in the neighborhood. Finally, Casa de Isabella is located in a great location - just a block off Parque Santander in the old city. I would highly recommend Casa de Isabella to any and all!

2  Thank petercooknola
brian_sutcliffe, Owner at Casa de Isabella - a Kali Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 13, 2011

Thanks for the review. We know we are still growing our team but we want to be the best. I try to contact every guest and of course the staff really is the heart of our hotel.

I will let them know how happy you were.

Reviewed October 7, 2011

the best colombian hotel i've been in. room are beautiful, there's wifi and staf was helpful. Ingrid, the manager, booked me a great tour to ELPARQUE TAYRONA , and directed me to the best caribean beaches un the area.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank menashe t
brian_sutcliffe, Owner at Casa de Isabella - a Kali Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 20, 2011

Thank you for your review and kind comments.

Reviewed October 7, 2011

Casa de Isabella was a great surprise.
The hotel is beautiful and the workers are great people.
I stayed in a colonial room with my husband and really enjoyed the special atmosphere.
It has a wonderful mosaic bed and an ancient wardrobe professionally restored.
The breakfast is exquisite and abundant.
I have been in other hotels in Santa Marta and Cartagena but Casa de Isabella is by far the best hotel of the coast of Colombia.

Reviewed October 6, 2011

Our stay at Casa De Isabella was remarkable. It is an oasis of comfort and attention to detail that far surpassed anything else I saw in Colombia, a nation that is still developing in many ways. The Inn is of true 5-star quality, and easily on par with 5-star places I have visited in the States.
It is a renovated historical estate in the heart of the historical district, just two blocks for the beach. We walked to the markets and restaurants without a second thought. The original architecture was maintained during the renovation, evident in the exposed brick and shuttered windows. The décor were very unique, a combination of modern design and Colombian antiques that somehow blends perfectly. The pictures at travel sites don't do it justice. Our room had very clean lines, a canopied bed, a private balcony looking onto the courtyard, and a private rooftop patio with a view of the ocean. We watched the sunset from our private Jacuzzi. Juxtaposed against all this charming historical detail was superior technology- they loaned us an iPad when we checked in to use the WiFi. The rooms have streaming music, apple TV with movies on demand, and easy international calling- all for free. The quality of the amenities was excellent- fluffy white towels, robes in the room, smooth linens, L’occitane toiletry products. The bathroom was very modern and clean. The included breakfast was excellent with generous portions, served on the patio under a beautiful tamarind tree. The staff was very eager to please- they gave us great local restaurant recommendations, arranged taxi and airport transportation for us, and were very receptive to guests’ needs, including food preferences.
The Inn is new- only open one month at the time of our visit, and there are still a few wrinkles that are getting ironed out. For example, the laundry in Colombia is very expensive, and we ended up with a higher than expected bill (it is send-out, the Inn doesn’t make any money on it). However, the owner personally emailed me after my stay to ensure my satisfaction, and upon hearing my concern over the laundry, he immediately refunded my money. He then placed laundry price lists in the rooms to ensure this won’t happen to future guests. I include this example not because this significantly detracted from our experience in any way, but just to show how receptive the owners/management is towards feedback. Their top priority is guest service and satisfaction, and it shows.
Do yourself a favor, resist the temptation to stay at one of those all-inclusive monstrosities on the beach that have no character, and stay at Casa de Isabella instead. You won’t regret it. I would go back in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: worth the upgrade to the suite with private patio, although all the rooms we peeked at were very nic...
2  Thank Jessica W

Thank you for your review and feedback. Yes we do now have laundry price lists in the rooms. When I saw the bill I emailed you immdiately as I felt that you may not be aware of the price. We are working hard to be the best in service and these little advances help a great deal.

Reviewed September 26, 2011

From the moment you enter the hotel you are surrounded by a great atmosphere created both by the surroundings and charming people who work there. All the staff, management and co-owner Roberto are very friendly and will go an extra mile for you to make sure all your needs are being taken care of. Go for a suite with private jacuzzi on a rooftop with beautiful views if you can. It's the best hotel in Santa Marta!

Room Tip: Suites are the best!
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
Hotel Boutique Don Pepe
Hotel Boutique Don Pepe
#4 of 69 in Santa Marta
Villa Maria Tayrona - a Kali Hotel
Villa Maria Tayrona - a Kali Hot...
#1 of 3 in Tayrona National Park
Best Western Plus Santa Marta Hotel
3 mi away
Hotel Tamaca Beach Resort
Hotel Tamaca Beach Resort
#5 of 69 in Santa Marta

Been to Casa de Isabella - a Kali Hotel? Share your experiences!