The Dreamer Hostel
$128
$57
$84
$95
Casa Verde Hotel(Santa Marta)
$67
  • Breakfast included
Zuana Beach Resort(Santa Marta)
$560
$85
  • Pool
$484
$471
Hotwire.com
All reviewsbeer pongtayrona parkair conlost citypool tablenice poolhuge supermarketon site restaurantbig lockersgreat atmospherebig kitchenswimming poolsouth americaexito supermarketprivate rooms areciudad perdidaother travelers
Reviewed October 23, 2013 via mobile

Hidden behind its walls is a welcome surprise that belies its outer urban setting with nearby local transport and amenities. Once ensconced within its walls you're greeted by cheerful staff who can organise various tours into Park Tayrona and Ciudad Perdida.

It has a good range of facilities including wifi & computers, a swimming pool, hammocks to laze in, a restaurant serving excellent pasta dishes as well as tasty tiramisu for dessert, and lots of tropical cocktails to sample at the bar during 'Happy Hour'. Dorms are good value with A/c and bathrooms are clean, although the cold water combats humidity, it would be good to have more showers as there was a bottleneck of people waiting for the showers in the morning.

During my stay renovations were in full swing which made the atmosphere less relaxing than it probably usually is, but a hearty mix of travellers made the nightime socialising lively.

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed October 12, 2013

As a manager of a hostel chain, i'm pretty picky about the hostels I choose to stay in and I recommend anyone to stay at this hostel. The setting is a little oasis with all rooms surrounding a built in pool, restaurant, lounge area and bar. Hammocks hang in front of all the rooms around the interior courtyards so you can chill out or nap with ease. The owner is Italian and his cooks have learned well. Some of the best food I ate in Colombia was at this hostel - try the fish dishes especially...and at a budget price. I stayed in a private room with air con for two nights and one with just a fan for two nights and both were fine. We had a private bath in one room. AC worked great, showers were a little on the cool side but fine after a long hot day of touring around. I found the staff more helpful than at hotels I stayed in other places and everyone spoke English which was a big help. Hostel is also close to public transport and a grocery store so it's a thumbs up all around!

Room Tip: They have a quiet policy so I don't think you have to worry about a noisy room anywhere.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 11, 2013

During our Colombia trip, we stayed at 2 hostels (as well as nice hotels and apartments). It was nice to experience the different lodgings and show the kids the hostel way. This hostel was terrific for our needs. It was a fantastic base for seeing the national park and the rooms were comfortable. The kids loved the pool and the restaurant and all of the hammocks. We stayed here before going to the national park and had a room that used the shared bathroom. It was really fine - clean and plenty of showers. We were all in bunk beds so if a couple insists on a double bed, better ask because I do not know if they have that for a family (I think they have it for couples). We were all in bunk beds and the room was near the pool. It was quiet when we were there but I can imagine it might get loud there. We stored our luggage here while we were gone and it was completely safe. They locked valuables up in their safe and luggage in the public room that has a lock. The luggage room does need to be reorganized because finding your bag is another story! We had to take out many many bags in order to find ours! But it was worth it because you do not need to take much into the park! After the park, we stayed one more night and had a room with a private bathroom. The shower seemed to be hotter but maybe that was just coincidence. The private room was upstairs and down the hall. It was very quiet. We used the big public frig to store our food and ate at the restaurant again - yum! I will add that we paid for air conditioning and it was not worth it because they control it from the front desk. The first stay we were too hot and the second stay we froze. My husband had to go to the desk at 3am and ask them to turn it down! The front desk was super helpful with directions to local restaurants, groceries, buses and taxis. Book ahead of tme if you are more than 1 person. It was crowded and people seemed to be having a hard time walking in to a bed.

Room Tip: see above for comments
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 5, 2013

Arrived at the Dreamer only to find out it was being renovated. Yet they were happy to take my booking in advance without advising me of this ahead of time.

When I arrived I was told by the staff that the nightly rate would be discounted and that there would be food discounts also on account of the renovations.

During the two days that I stayed it was unpleasant and noisy with the builders taking up half of the already small communal space.

There ended up being no discounted food and on two occasions when we ordered food (lunch and a breakfast) the woman in the kitchen forgot about our order and we waited an hour, and then the next day gave our breakfasts to another group.

This was a completely opposite experience to the one I had at the Dreamer in Palomino which was great.

My advice - take a hit and don't have guests when your renovations are going to be so disruptive or make your guests aware of this when they book.

After 2 nights we checked out and went to Drop Bear Hostel which is far better.

I will say this though, the staff (other than the kitchen) were great and really created a vibe for the place by organising social events and making an effort to make all the guests feel welcome - props to Esther!!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 4, 2013

On my way to the park, the road was closed. This hostel was the right place at the right time! And the staff is professional and lovely!
Nice beers to drink and a variegated number of guests coming from all over the world.

• Stayed: October 2013