“Excellent place to relax”
Review of The Dreamer Hostel

and 1 more site!
The Dreamer Hostel
Reviewed August 26, 2013

I stayed there one year ago, and everytime i remind my days there, i wish to come back, staff are really helpful, they organize tours every day, i have many things to writte down and few time to do it, so, to sum up: if Santa Marta is the magic of having it all, it must be because the dreamer is attached to this slogan and is an important part of this one.

GUYS DON'T MISS THE OPPORTUNITY TO KNOW IT AND ENJOY IT!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank EderRodriguez

Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here twice. Once before and once after the List City Trek. The first time I have already reviewed having to wait until 2pm to check in after a night bus.

Overall:
Lovely garden
Great pool
Good happy hour cocktails
Wifi
Big lockers

4 bed dorm is a bit cramped
Only one plugpoint next to one bed which makes charging things for other three people cramped
Dreamer is a long way out if town and although it is near a big mall you are limited for good food options. Yes it saves you a bit of time for getting out to Tayrona etc but you have to want to just do the gringo trail thing of hanging out in the hostel as it is deep in the burbs. But when I was there there were quite a few people who never seemed to leave the pool at the hostel so this would suit some.
Their own restaurant is so-so and a bit pricey for what it is.
Shower in 4 bed dorm just a dribble but good in communal bathrooms which are clean.
No individual bed lights which I would expect for this higher price.
Front desk is really chaotic so things take time.

Tip: Ask for a room away from the bar as it's quite loud.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Like many others traveling around the Caribbean Coast, the Dreamer Hostel in Santa Marta was my "home base" for a couple of weeks, and oh boy, it was the exact slice of paradise I needed during my time back from places such as Cartagena, Parque Tayrona and Ciudad Perdida.

Besides being a home base from major attractions nearby, it's also located near a shopping center with a Super Mercado, where you can buy groceries if you don't want to eat out or in the Dreamer's restaurant. You can't really hear any of the buzz from the outer-world once you're in the hostel too, which makes the stay all the more tranquil.

The hostel is set up in such a way where you can hang without anyone bothering you, or mingle to make friends. Hammocks are hung around the perimeter of the pool and lounge chairs, allowing guests to pick and choose which route of relaxation to take on. The bathrooms are also cleaned every day, and the 3 different rooms I've stayed in have been clean as a whistle.

But while the set up of the hostel was great, it was the amiable staff that stopped me from booking a room at another place my 2nd, 3rd and 4th times back in Santa Marta. Diego was especially helpful with booking shuttles to and from the hostel, and referring me to trip he thought I might enjoy and local places to check out. He does a great job of making guests feel welcome while hyping them up about how freakin' great it is to be where you are, when you're there.

The warm-natured staff is most certainly the Dreamer's biggest asset, with the hammocks around the pool as a close second.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Dreamer Hostel was fine, but nothing spectacular. The grounds were nice enough, there was a pool, our room was clean, the shared bathrooms were fine, breakfast (purchased from their restaurant) was decent but not great, the staff was friendly enough, walking distance to Exito but not really much else.

Originally booked two nights, but on the morning after our first night we decided to camp in Tayrona Park (at the suggestion of one of the guy's who runs the Lost City trekking company Dreamer called for us), so we wanted to cancel our second night's stay. Well, it was too late for that and we had to pay full price for a room we didn't sleep in and we "knew" would be booked later that day anyway, as it seemed a popular place, especially when we were there. Oh well, I guess it was our fault, but perhaps only partial payment would have been nice. Lesson learned to not book in advance I guess, or just don't change our plans...

All in all, it was fine enough for a night, but we weren't over the moon about it.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 9, 2013

This looks like a lovely hostel - pool, garden etc.
However - if you are coming in off a nightbus as I was I would recommend staying somewhere else. I have arrived early at other hostels and I know that often you have to wait for checkout if they are full. Yet they also often make a plan - somewhere for you to shower and change etc.
I arrived here at nine am. Checkout is a late 12 noon but they don't chase anyone as I heard people mumbling 'I guess we should checkout' after 12 I the pool.
I was told they would quickly get my bed ready at 12. Then 1. At half past one they actually bothered to unlock ths door and cosider sorting it out. Im still not in! I wasn't delighted to wait until noon but this is taking the Michael and they really aren't that concerned. Ill update what actually staying here is like. Hopefully it will improve!

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 5, 2013

My stay at the Dreamer Hostel came with a big caveat - I was robbed on my bus from Cartagena to Santa Marta - so perhaps my experience wasn't the average one. Still, I felt the staff weren't prepared practically or sympathy-wise to help me. They had no useful information about the (diabolical) police service in Santa Marta - even sending me the long way to the police station on a day it was shut. Then, they offered me no credit or leeway, forcing an acquaintance I'd made on the bus to pay for my first 2 nights in the hostel, and demanding I could only stay with a copy of my passport (even though I'd had it nicked). Beware also that the hostel is not in the centre of Santa Marta, so you'll need taxis everywhere. There's a pool and a bar there which I imagine would be relaxing if one wasn't in my stressful situation!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank JamesSteerforth
Reviewed August 3, 2013

The Dreamer is all you can expect from an hostal.

The minute we dropped out of the taxi, we were welcomed by the staff, who thought we were in trouble with the taxi driver.

The swimming pool was under construction, so we got a 20% discount on the rooms.
There is a bar with cocktails open every night, there also organize night activities.

Everything is cleaned min. 1x/ day, there are all services (laundry, internet, excursions...).
Hostal is within walking distance from the shopping center of Santa Marta, incl. cinemas

Very safe neighborhood.

Perfect place if you aim to meet other backpackers. Avoid it if you want to mix with locals

Room Tip: The hostal is not reachable by foot from Santa Marta city center. Need to use taxi to get to town.