“Amazing for Tayrona Park”
Review of Ecohostal Yuluka

Ecohostal Yuluka
Ranked #3 of 117 Santa Marta B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed January 25, 2012

I just came back from there, and it is indeed as good as I heard.
Just 5 minutes walking to the park, with nicely decorated lodges, offers for adventure trips, nice food and breakfast, and very good prices, no more than $15 per night! Totally recommended. The best? The people there, last day he even took us to downtown in his own car. Important, be aware that it is perfect if you are going to visit Tayrona, or just for relax, obviously not so good if you want to go to Santa Marta, it is not that close, but I guess it is not intended for that...

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 21, 2012

I made a reservation for the ecohostel, and sent an email that I would be arriving late (around 10pm), due to a late flight arrival. They accepted a deposit, so I assumed all was good. When I showed up in the taxi, the gate was locked and nobody was awake, not even a security guard. I wandered around for awhile, but then decided to take the taxi back to Santa Marta to a hotel that would at least give me a key to a room....

It looked unremarkable and was very close to the busy highway. Not the tropical getaway most travelers are looking for. I should have followed my instinct when I couldn't find a phone number for the hotel and cancelled in advance!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank viajeras294074
Reviewed January 12, 2012

On the main hi-way with large disel trucks passing by non stop!! We did not get any sleep all night! Its like sleeping in downtown. I really do not understand the other reviews... Wilma, the wonderful owner, booked us an activity for a certain price wich included transportation. The next morning he droped us off with a guide, did half of what we agreed on, never came back for us, we actualy walked home in the heat!, and ended up asking for more money! They hassled us for 3 euros! For the price you pay you expect some hot water. The water in the showers is freezing! I am a guy and I did not shower. I asked at the reception and their answer was it is hot outside you do not need hot water. I wonder if she and her kids shower with freezing water in their room or it is a privilege for the guests? Keep away from this place! Get a room near the beach, any beach in or around the park to enjoy tayrona and not get ripped off! P.S my deposit was never suptracted from my bill.

• Stayed: January 2012
2  Thank philperr
Reviewed January 4, 2012

This is a great value right on the edge of Parque Nacional Tayrona with excellent service from Wilmar and Nely who are great guides to the area and all the outdoor activities available (and who will provide transport to and from them for a small fee). All the rooms are hand-built cabins with bath and TV and are comfortable if not opulent. There are limitations: it's not IN the park if thats important to you. You have to pay in cash because there is no infrastructure for credit cards there. Internet access is only via a cell modem on a laptop at the front desk. Road noise is a big problem (may have been worse than normal during our stay due to a road closure in another part of the country that diverted traffic).

On the whole a great option if you're planning to explore the region.

• Stayed: December 2011
Reviewed December 18, 2011

A nice pool, ok restaurant and friendly staff. Cabins are ok. The entrance of Tayrona is near so this makes a good spott to discover it. Its on the main road, so traffic is sometime a bit loud.

• Stayed: December 2011
Reviewed December 5, 2011

This hostal comes HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! My boyfriend and I stayed here because of its proximity to Tayrona National Park. It's located only about 1 KM from the entrance of Tayrona National Park. The owner offers transportation service to and from the park, and also to other attractions in the area. Wilmar (the owner) and his wife were very helpful in helping us get around. They recommended some private beaches, which we sadly didn't have time to visit. They also recommended La Cascada Valencia (a local waterfall, which I also highly recommend visiting). We stayed in a private air conditioned room with a private bathroom. The room was clean and comfortable and came with a T.V. with DirectTV. There is also a nice, clean pool complete with a small waterfall to swim in. The kitchen area is small, but the food there was fantastic! The kitchen is open from early morning, to about 7:30 PM, so, be sure and order your food before the kitchen closes. The food was traditional Colombian fare consisting of Arepas con Huevo, Patacon, Arroz con Camarones, and delish natural fruit juices, amongst other things. They also sell beer, water, and other beverages. Really Important - They do NOT take credit card payments. So, please be sure to have plenty of cash with you when you stay here. The nearest ATM is extremely far away. Luckily, the owner's wife was headed back to Santa Marta on the day we were checking out, so, we were able to pay her the cash in Santa Marta when we were finally able to get to an ATM. Anyways, I definitely recommend this hostal. I would most definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jessica M
Reviewed September 18, 2011

I spent some time looking for accommodation near the entrance to the fabulous Tayrona National Park. as accommodation within the park boundaries is either basic or extremely pricey. Ecohostal Yuluka is very close to the entrance of the park, just off the highway from Santa Marta to Riohacha. This means it is easily reached by public transport from either city (but it also means that very light sleepers might feel disturbed by the noise of the traffic - I sure didn´t mind)

The lodge consists of several huts of different design, all of them quite original and comfortable. My hut, Colibrí, was a steep walk uphill. The hut was very roomy and had a huge bathroom with a big bathtub. It was equipped with TV and A/C. From the porch, complete with hammock, you had a nice view of the surrounding dense vegetation. I loved the hut, but had to get used to the strange smell, which I suppose came from the thatched roof. The room was spotless, so I didn´t care too much. It would be a good idea however to install mosquito nets. The owner said he would see to this.

The Ecohostal offers a wonderful pool (with little waterfall) and its own good restaurant (as there is not much else around). The owners are a good source of information on the area and offer different trips or transportation to various attractions or the airport.

For those who need to know - there was no wifi, but guests were welcome to use the owners´ netbook to connect to the internet.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank OliverE77
Also consider these accommodations in or near Santa Marta
Hotel Miami SM
Hotel Miami SM
#53 of 67 in Santa Marta
Villa Maria Tayrona - a Kali Hotel
Villa Maria Tayrona - a Kali Hot...
#1 of 3 in Tayrona National Park
#8 of 189 in Santa Marta
The Dreamer Hostel
The Dreamer Hostel
#4 of 189 in Santa Marta

Been to Ecohostal Yuluka? Share your experiences!