“Insanely cheap, you get what you pay for!”
Review of Hotel Miramar

Hotel Miramar
Reviewed June 13, 2012

After reading the reviews before visiting Santa Marta we didn't consider this hostel at all, but when we did a walk through on hostels, we gave Miramar a go. We got a private room with bathroom and air-conditioning for $30,000 COP - if we had just used the fan it would have been $23,000.

This is half the price of all other private rooms available, except perhaps at Casa Familar which had fairly nice cheap rooms without AC.

The room and bathroom were clean but the mattress on the bed was comfy enough but very old. They spray this weird smelling stuff in the room between guests which nearly had us move out and between that and the reviews we saw here about lice etc. our minds drove us crazy the first night!

But after that first bit, we stayed and enjoyed our time there! We were in Santa Marta for 4 weeks and stayed at Miramar for 2 weeks.

Pros:
The food is ok for the price & juices are great
Definitely try the lunch special fried fish
All the staff were extremely fun and lovely and a bit mad! We had a real laugh with the woman who cooks. There is the younger guy who is less friendly but he wasn't a problem for us.
Laundry service is ridiculously cheap - the old cleaning lady is mad as a hatter and we think permanently on the sauce! But catch her eye and you can't help but have a good moment.
Wifi is strong and reliable (you need to let them know if you want it on overnight)
Main pro: It's crazy cheap to stay there.

Cons:
Mattresses are old and our room had a funny smell for the first day
Rooms are small and the building is old
The sheets were thin and no top sheet (seems to be common in Colombia)
Bathrooms are as basic as a bathroom can get
If you run out of loo paper, the cleaning ladies don't seem to pick it up, so you have to ask reception
The street has character! I wouldn't want to walk in this street at night by myself as a woman but as a couple it was fine.

This place would suit long term travellers who have seen it all. The only reason you would stay here is that it is really cheap. If you are doing short term travel and have the cash then go somewhere else, but if you just need a cheap place to base yourself then check it out.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank kungfukitty_oz

Reviewed March 8, 2012

Yes it is close to the beach and has some colonial charm. The restaurant was not bad and is cheep and convenient in the morning, but this place is a total dive. I was quoted 20,000 pesos per night for a little tiny room without A/C or TV. Upon checking out, the kid at the reception desk attempted the over charge me by 10,000 pesos. I said no way and he backed down The same kid was on the guest computers playing games most of the time. I felt the need to lock up my netbook , Ipod, camera and passport in the hotel's safe. You can get a much better place to stay one block away on Calle 11 - for a couple of dollars more. There is a helpful tour booking business associated with the hotel - I would recommend them without question. One last thing - essentially in the red-light district of Santa Marta.

Room Tip: Check out a few rooms before settling in and always bargain with the hotels while traveling in Col...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank JSWNNV
Reviewed January 7, 2012

...but very cheap, close to the beach ( two minutes walk), restaurants, shops and near to the city. The hostal has a nice, huge hall with restaurant at daytime, and the hotelkitchen is at the guests disposals in the evenings. I had a single room, 5 Euro per night, for four nights in November 2011. Internet, nightportier and serviceminded and friendly staff. I liked it!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank Ruth L
Reviewed July 21, 2011

Ok so this was a really cheap stay in Santa Marta, but most places were really. Muggy, dirty, only cold water (from a whole in the wall) and mosquitos. Not my cuppa, but yes it was cheap.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Cammi9
Reviewed May 9, 2011

This place isn't for everyone, but it offers good value. I'm currently staying in a large room with private bath, large desk, ceiling fan, and window to the outside for COP12.000 per night. Before that I had a smaller room with private bath for COP10.000 per night. These are the best prices I've found in Colombia. The wifi internet connection is reliable and fast (Skype works great; download speed is 4 Mbps according to speedtest.net), and I've gotten along great with the staff.

I'm in Santa Marta for research, not for partying, and I've found that Miramar suits my needs well enough (although there are moments when I wish I had AC and I also miss having access to a kitchen) . It's clean enough for my standards, but then I've done lots of travelling in the so-called "third world". If you're on the dainty end of the spectrum, this place may not be for you (see the other reviews), but if you're someone who doesn't mind "roughing it", Miramar offers excellent value. I recommend having a look.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
4  Thank sierranevadastamarta
Reviewed January 15, 2010

Small rooms, dark and dirty. The only reason to stay here is to save money but for $4 extra a night there are numerous options elsewhere. www.thinkingnomads.com

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank ThinkingNomads
Reviewed December 15, 2009

Extremely dirty, lice on the sheets and blankets , sheets and pillows, don't get washed properly! drug addicts in and around the venue.
disgusting ....