“Great stay!”

Ranked #7 of 68 Hotels in Santa Marta
Guangzhou, China
“Great stay!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2012

We stayed in the new tower and it's really nice everything in the hotel is spotless, the facilities are unbelievable, the gym is amazing, the jacuzzis and the pools as well. Rooms are big and comfortable. Service is pretty good too.. It is a bit far from town but if you want to relax its a great spot, the food is good, but if hv the buffet everyday you will be missing out on the delicious local food.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank eb77

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Korean first
Cardiff, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2012

Before I went to this hotel I had read the previous reviews on Trip Advisor and was slightly concerned. However having stayed at the hotel my personal experience is that all these worries were unfounded.

The hotel is in a fabulous position in a pleasant community. The hotel itself was spotlessly clean and the staff friendly. Whilst I do not speak Spanish my colleague was fluent which undoubtedly helped in service, that said we never had to chase down service, people found us and we gave them orders which were fairly rapidly fulfilled.

For the meals we used the daily buffets not the a la carte menus. The buffets were varied and interesting, running on different daily themes such as Italian or New Orleans, though each was definitely a Colombian take on the setting.

The rooms were spotless, the beds admittedly hard, and the view from my room of the sea spectacular. The room was well cleaned every day and restocked.

In the grounds the infinity pool at the northern end of the hotel was in my opinion the best, with a great little slide. I didn't go to the beach much, but when I did I met vendors who I found friendly and not too pushy, similar in my experience to the Caribbean Islands rather than the more pushy East African.

If only this destination was more accessible from Europe I would be happy to come here with my family, I know they would love it.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank YBOD98
Oviedo, Principado de Asturias
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2012

The hotel furniture and facilities look old, although the rooms are big and fresh.
Nice private beach and pool area.
The food quality is not remarkable and it takes very long before you get served.
In general, I would say that it is a very normal beach hotel

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

This pool made it really easy to relax. On our first night we had a slight problem with the AC and the safe because of a power outage from a big storm, and they were very responsive to our problem, and upgraded us to the next door room instead. It turned out to be a large suite with a modern large kitchen and dinning room. They had plenty of pools so it was easy to get away from crowds. The beach was not really to nice to swim in, but it was nice to see the ocean. The only major problem I had was that one evening we decided to have dinner at the hotel restaurant on the terrace. Well I had ordered a rum and coke, and when they brought it to me it was served with flat coke. When I looked at the bar, they had a bunch of 2.5l bottles on top that they were using to serve the coke in. If they just gave the guest a .5l bottle they would do better with their service, because that is an easy fix.

Room Tip: Try to get upgraded to a suite, in the new tower.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Bogota, Colombia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2012

Terrible service at restaurant, beds that easily could be rocks. When asked for help to a manager and complaint about the service comparing it with Irotama's (which I've been there recently) she went nuts, asking me for respect!! ( what the h...!)

Never going back to that dreadful place.... :(

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
7 Thank Viajero E
United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2012

We came to Santa Marta in April for a family vacation. The positives: The resort is very clean and is in very good shape. The people are very nice and accommodating. The pool area is probably the highlight of the resort, VERY nice. The resort was full according to the front desk but the pool area and the beach were very sparse. If you are looking for a relaxing resort with not a lot of people this is it. The bowling alley was a lot of fun as were the game room for the kids. We traveled with a family that was fluid in Spanish so it worked fine but it will be very difficult to communicate if you don't speak Spanish as most of the people there do not speak English. The negatives: If you decide to lay out at the beach (which is clean for the most part) you will get asked to buy something by the local vendors constantly. They are polite but some of them you have to tell two or three times "No gracious" before they leave. It literally happens every 1 or 2 minutes. It got so bad that we decided to just stay by the pool. If you don't mind that then there are some really neat things to buys (hand made chachillas which are hand-made "purses", bracelets, jewelry, desserts, drinks (beers are only 3 pesos each (about a $1.50)), etc). The rooms do not provide you with any hand towels or dish towels to dry your dishes (no dishwashers and the room service will not do them for you). The rooms are ok but that doesn't bother me because we were hardly in them. The beds are hard as a rock. The service in the restaurants are not very good. It took them about 15 minutes just to get you a water. Nightlife is nonexistent at this resort. Nothing is open and there were no bars or anything to do at night (which was ok with us since we were exhausted every night and we have kids with us but if you are looking for night life you will have to travel to the city).

Make sure you visit Cristal Beach which is considered one of the 5 most beautiful beaches in the world. It's not very crowded, great fresh fish cooked by the locals, and the cut up fruit is phenomenal.

If you know Spanish and want a quiet relaxing vacation then you can't beat this resort.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Tim C
Medellín, Colombia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2012

The Zuana Hotel is alrady a well known place in Santa Marta and has held a good reputation as well. I liked the rooms, though some of them seemed to be a bit outdated and needed a little renovation. Ours was actually ok and found it appropiate for our weekend needs, though I'd strongly recommend a face lift to keep the great quaity standards, it had 12 years ago when I went for the first time.

My overall impression of the beach and pool areas was a lot better, being there where we spent most of the time. As any timeshare hotel, there are natural pros and cons that come with these types of resorts, but I have to say the service was really good, specially at the front desk, making our check in and check out comfortable and quick.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple