“¡Maravillosa! Beautiful people, great accommodations, fantastic weather!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Decameron Marazul

Decameron Marazul
Ranked #14 of 41 Hotels in San Andres Island
Pointe-Claire
“¡Maravillosa! Beautiful people, great accommodations, fantastic weather!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2009

Well how do I sum up a wonderful week on Isla San Andres? ¡Maravillosa! Beautiful people, great accommodations, fantastic weather! This may differ at different times of the year.

Getting there: We arrived at the Marazul with Transat Airlines out of Montreal. Arrived in the late afternoon and were taxied to our hotel. All that you read about the way the cabs are filled with the luggage and thinking something inevitably will fall out, well they’ve got it handled, but I still did make sure to check every now and then. The cabs are very old cars and I don’t think they can go more than 30 km an hour.

The hotel: Our room at the Decameron Marazul was garden view which meant that it was quiet and off the beaten path. The rooms are spacious and all have balconies or patio area if you are on the first floor. This is a 150 room resort, so it is a very nice size, that if you forget something in your room it will take you 10 minutes to go to your room and return from any point. Do go visit the other Decamerons as you have that option and you’ll see that the Marazul is the top one to be at. If you want to stay for a meal, you must reserve the day prior. There are 2 à la carte restaurants which need to be booked ahead of time in order to get in; I mean show up at 7am to book or you’ll be in the buffet for the evening meal. If you like wine at all, bring your own from Duty Free and buy on the island. BRING YOUR OWN WINE . The buffet was great with a variety of food for all palates. In one week, we never saw the same item twice. This was available for breakfast, lunch and dinner. There is also a snack bar open between 11-5pm.

The beach: Well this is a man made beach and the sand is flat. We did not swim from the beach but a few people did. The wind is constantly blowing making it very comfortable for just sitting around. Don’t be fooled by the heat of the sun! The pool is a nice size with many chairs available as does the beach.

The island: The Island is 12 (19 km) miles long and 3 miles wide (4.8km) , soooo that means that you should be able to get around real quick. Wrong! The cars and scooters on the island don’t go very fast. I think I saw a 30km speed limit sign. That is the speed on the island. Great for a relax vacation. There are a few things to do like visit the other islands, Jonhny Cay (you’ll see many written versions of this name) Acuario. Snorkeling at Acuario is overated. You can go to the other side of the island to West View or la Piscinita and see more fish. Hire a cab to take you around and you’ll feel less trucked around. We hired the same guy who picked us up at the airport the first day. We called on ENRIQUE. His cel # is 316 7010843. Tell him that Ana de Montreal referred you.

Getting around: 2 options. Cabs or public buses. We hire the cab that brought us from the airport to the hotel to give us an island tour. It was great. All we had to do is call him and he was there. The average cab ride is 5 to 8 dollars US. Public buses are actually privately owned and cost 1250 pesos and are worth it. Basically there are 4 routes. San Luis to Centro (downtown) and vice versa and Cove to Centro and vice versa. No bus goes all around the island.

Diving: We do with SEA GARDEN DIVE CENTER jaimevinasco@hotmail.com located at the Marazul and have another kiosk at the San Luis Decemeron. Jaime and his team were great. They speak English, French, Spanish and Italian. Our dive master most of the time was Efraim who is the most conscientious person who has ever taken us out in our 12 years of diving. He made sure we all had what was needed, gave us a step by step dive profile and stuck to it. Our captain Marlon used his talents for the journeys to the dive sites. The majority of dives are done on the other side of the island therefore a boat ride is necessary, but you leave right off the hotel pier. Remember I mentioned that there is always a good wind, well there are always bid waves. That was my only negative as I don’t like super big waves. We also had a great night dive. They were all great!

Shopping: It’s a duty free island! If you want to buy perfume or booze or electronics, it’s the place to do it. You’ll save almost 16% from the mainland. Know your prices ahead of time and yes you can get them to come down in price. Don’t make shopping a big outing or you might be disappointed. This island is not commercialized and not geared to tourist with many “recuerdos”. Shop where the locals go Avenidas Colon or Las Americas and get good prices or shop at New Point and pay bigger bucks. Your choice. This is not a commercialised island like Cozumel or Hawaii.

Eating out : The tour operator recommended 2 restaurants for seafood, but we did prefer La Regatta over El Rincon de la Langosta (which was overpriced, but the view was nice).

Bring US dollars, use the local ATM’s and advise your credit card companies ahead of time. After all when they see Columbia, they have no clue it is San Andres and they put stops on more charges! I hope this helps you out for your stay – I was happy to read up on from other people’s reviews. ¡Que se disfruta mucho!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
5 Thank VidriAna

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Korean first
Lindsay, Ontario
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Marazul at the end of November and beginning of December 2008. We were there for 2 weeks, not the best time to go as it is the rainy season and the first week was pretty much rained out.
The Marazul is in my opinion the best of the Decameron chain on the island. I had requested with the travel agent and also by email to have ground floor room with a king bed - what did they do - they put us in a 3rd floor room (no elevators). It took 3 days to get a room change. IN the end we got a room right in front of the pool which was great. The only problem was that with all the rain, some of the ground floor rooms were getting flooded (not ours thankfully). The buildings around the pool area are older and some are musty. Overall the rooms and resort are kept very clean. The rooms in the newer buildings are very nice.
We absolutely loved the food at this resort and at the other a la cartes at the other hotels as well.
The staff were all wonderful. Many special thanks to Marly, Juan Luis and the rest of the staff for making my hubby's birthday a very memorable one !!!
Our favorite thing at this resort was the pier bar. It is just a great place to hang out.
If you are going to the island, I definately recommend the bus tour that is offered when you go to the orientation. It was a lot of fun and gave us a good overview of the island before we set out on our own for the rest of the 2 weeks.

• Liked — cleanliness
  • Disliked — older rooms in need of some restorative work
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Firemom2008

Travelers are raving about these San Andres Island hotels

Orono
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2009

Date Feb 2007
This was our first trip to San Andres.We stayed at the Marazul. We found the resort to be clean and the staff were friendly and polite.
The weather was the best I have ever had. Days around the high eighties to ninety and the nights high seventies to low eighties.The food was good with a lot of variety and plenty of fresh fruit,The bartenders were great and the pier bar is to beautiful to describe. I'll Let the pictures speak for them self's.
It seemed that any excursion were all around the $25 us. mark and well worth the expense. I still don't know where they kept all that beer on the glass bottom boat and snorkeling trips. Heck we were out in the water.. The spa prices were really reasonable around $30 US. for an hour massage. The high light of the trip was the renting of a golf cart and spending the day touring the island with the kids. We felt safe and secure doing so and had a great time.
If there was truly a fault in the trip it would be that the nightly entertainment was very loud no matter where you were on the resort.Even though we did a lot it still felt like I spent more time relaxing then at most resorts.

We will be back!!!
One thing the whole Island is duty free with very good prices.

4 Thank Cantan
Northern Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2009

My husband and I spent two glorious weeks on this fantasy island. Warm tropical breeezes and a serene atmosphere. The local people including resort staff are most wonderful. Police are polite and helpful to tourists. Cab and taxi drivers behave
like embassadors to this lovely island.As you can see we truly loved this place because of the people. From our experience the Decameron Company is a well run operation, This is why we
often choose one when we book. Being a Chef myself I have to
say I was impressed with the food at all the Decameron San
Andres properties especially where we stayed at the Marazul...
Chef Ruben Balsero my hat off to the you and your staff at the Buffet Restaurant...delicious!A special thank you to Nellie who you book your meal reservations through, she never stops smiling. Also Luis the Dining Room Captain who made all guests feel welcome. Yes I did buy a emeral ring from Mario and Jerrry at the Jewlerey Factory but visited all the stores and found all shop keepers to be hounourable. One last thanks to Julie from Nolitours Tours who was most helpful and accessible. We did meet many second or more time visitors to San Andres.
We would return again most definitely!

• Liked — serene atmosphere
  • Disliked — air conditioning
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank CarolynBeachInn
ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2009

On december 25th, my boyfriend chris and I got on a plane and headed to the beautiful island of san andres, Columbia. What a trip we had! We arrived a bit late due to some de icing issues in montreal. Air transat is not my favorite airline, but they got us there in a decent timeframe, served us a few snacks, nothing you would get full or fat on, (but I had a few snacks with me also) and we were entertained with a few good flicks on the way. Arriving in San andres, we were greeted by a huge rainbow and then a bit of rain, but by the time we got through the extremely large customs line (no tourist cards given or needed) the sun was shining and it was hot and beautiful out. After getting through customs and finding our bags quite easily just sitting there waiting for us, we were directed to the outside of the airport and put into a cab with another couple and off we went. The first couple went to the aquarium so they were dropped off and off we went to the marazul. We were greeted by an amazing bellman named Raymond who got our bags and asked us to follow him. Getting out of the cab we were greeted by music, 3 dancers in costumes and a lovely champagne glass full of fruit punch. What a welcome!! It was awesome! After our brief stop with the dancers, we headed to a room to get checked in and after about 20 minutes were were taken by Raymond to our room, a 3rd floor ocean view room in the new building, just as I’d requested by email. The room was nice, clean and had a great view! We unpacked and got our vacation underway. Upon researching our vacation, I used the help of trip advisor and knew that I wanted to aid others when I got back full of information, so here is what I thought, recommend etc, after my weeks stay on the island. If you are heading to san andres and have any questions, please feel free to email me and I will help in any way I can, as others had done for me, before my departure.

Hotel: food is fantastic, out of all the people we met, every single one of them, advised us that the food was the best of any decameron on the island, at our resort. We always had plenty of choices and the food was always very good, everything but the tomatoes and that just can’t be helped. Rodeo is the steakhouse there, it was fantastic steak, the sides weren’t so fabulous but the meat, amazing! I highly recommend getting a steak there during your stay. Caravelle is the other a la cart restaurant. I found the service there very poor and the food was good but with the bad service, less enjoyable. I was suggested to have the mahi mahi and wasn’t disappointed. We did venture off the resort to go to La Regatta, a restaurant recommended to us from some of the locals. This was one of the few disappointments we had in san andres. The service was terrible, our food 3 of 4 meals, arrived over an hour after ordering and the 4th didn’t arrive until the other 3 meals were completed. WE ordered lobster, it was very expensive, about $80 usd for dinner for 2 people and were EXTREMELY disappointed. The lobster was overcooked, seasoned, althoughed listed to come plain with garlic butter on the side, and not good at all. The other entrée we had was the garlic shrimp and those were decent but again, not worth the money or the 2 and a half hours we had to spend there. I would not recommend anyone going to this restaurant while staying in san andres, unless you are going there to check out the very cool decorating they’ve done with green bottles. That was the best thing and only thing I liked about the place.

Drinks at the Marazul and the decamerons: readily available and wonderful. Coco Fraise, delicious, alcohol is freely poured and drinks are exactly as you want them. Bartenders,marley, iveth, Romi and Giovani are all awesome and will always take good care of you and help you! As for the servers, look out for Ernesto, he’s a tall giant with the most friendly smile you’ve ever seen, Daisy, super sweet!! and my favorite, Louis Mary. Louis mary is a single mother trying to teach her kids how to read and write and speak English. Please bring along any type of books for tips for her, I gave her one from the dollar store in Canada, a preschool book I got for a buck on learning to read and write English, and she was so grateful, I wish I had another 20 to give her! If you see any of these people, tell them chris and christina from Canada, pass along their love.

Outings. Where to start, there is so much to see and do, it ‘s crazy. Mario works for the marazul and runs the shuttle to and from the islands of aquario cay and Haynes cay. They are right across from the resort and about 10 minutes by boat and you can book 2 hour trips there with the activities crew. Aquario cay is great for snorkeling. Try the restaurant side of the island, there is a long reef that goes out and we bordered that and found an amazing display of tropical fish. WATER SHOES ARE A MUST IN SAN ANDRES, BRING SOME OR BUY THEM WHEN YOU ARRIVE TO SAVE YOU FROM RENTING- about $7 usd to buy in the hotel gift shop, same as Canadian Tire at home. A walk over to Haynes cay through the water is fun but the currents are strong so be careful. Take a camera if you can as there is a restaurant over there that is decorated outside with rasta colours and sayings about peace and hope and one love and it is very very cool. I didn’t get any shots of it so if anyone has some, please email them to me. MUCH appreciated.

THE JENHERAL, what a treat! I heard about this Rastafarian man (sp?) from Big juice’s website and about his truck tour for $20 pp around the island. I wasn’t told that he only goes with 8 people at a time and since we were only 2, he hooked us up with alex, a great guy that works for him. Raymond knows how to find the jehneral if you can’t locate him but usually you can find him at his girlfriends craft shop right across from the San Luis, beside the reggae bar, killah bar. He has been doing tours on the island for over 33 years and knows the place inside and out and for $20 usd pp, we spent almost 9 hours seeing the sights with alex. We obviously gave him an enormous tip, but it was worth every cent. We saw things that people at our resort didn’t know about or hear about. They went with the hotel tour at $35usd for about 3 hours and saw the main spots, but they missed all those little things that make the island what it is, small iguana farms, private blow holes, Punta Sur –one of the coolest places I’ve ever seen, a restaurant owned by an artist that is all hand crafted, pieces out of wood, coral, you name it, truly amazing!! We snorkeled at west view and across the street went to see snakes, turtles, herb gardens, lime trees and all kinds of other amazing sights, again, no one else went there or knew about it. Alex even took us to the jewellery store so we could purchase an emerald ring at the end of the day, and advised if we were getting a deal or not. I TRULY recommend finding the Jenheral and booking at least one of his tours while you are in san andres. We also did a tour with him to Aquario Cay, Hanes Cay and Johnny cay, all you can drink and lunch included. Lunch was on Johnny cay, yellow tail snapper and some of the best fish I have ever eaten in my life! Be warned, the fish is whole, but once you get over that, WOW! what a treat. Johnny cay is my favorite island in the archipelago. Another tip from the jehneral, go to the middle of the island, by the washrooms and to the right is a path you can go down. After only a few moments, you will see iguanas sitting up in the trees sunning themselves, we saw 5 or 6 of them and again, the other people that went there, weren’t privy to this and missed out. Ziplining at the Canopy was fantastic! If you’re just looking for a little adventure, this is for you, $17 usd through the resort or you can go on your own, the cab ride there is $10-$15 there and back, Raymond can arrange you to go with someone trustworthy, we used Elquin and he was super cool. You walk down this little trail and there they are, all set up in the forest with equipment and platforms and 3 fellas that will assist you on your journey down the 3 lines they have. The scenery is great so bring your camera and take some shots, especially after the 1st line. I think the whole thing to and from the hotel took only about an hour, but well worth the money, we thought. By the zipline as well is the Pond and the 600 year old tree and a cute little boy named David that will take you on a tour and take your pictures there. We saw david as part of our big tour with alex and he stole our hearts. He showed us the crocs in the pond, explained about it and the area, and then took us to the tree and took photos for us there as well. We also saw the First Baptist Church as the first stop on our tour. Melanie took us in and up the steepest, smallest flight of stairs up to the belltower for a lovely view. It is the highest point on the island and worth the shaky trip up to get a panoramic of the whole island. Another stop I have to mention on our tour was at The Boat Bar, Alex’s brothers place and very very cool. There we were greeted with rasta hats with dreads in them and photos being taken of us partying far harder than we were and then fantastic drinks made for us in coconuts! In the back there is a farm with all types of reptiles and such and they are more than happy to meet every need you have! It is on the coastal drive along the right side, just past the west side pool and is easy to find, and easy to chill at.

I also recommend checking out the other resorts. We only saw the San Luis and the Isleno but really wanted to get a peek at the aquarium other than by boat’s view. They are both very nice with the isleno having the best beach on the island. The beach at the san luis is decent but you have to cross the street to get to it and it is very narrow. Crossing the street in san andres is always a challenge as they drive unlike anywhere I’ve ever been, CRAZILY!! The beach at the marazul, is there, but not very sandy, I believe due to the high winds there. It was good enough to sun on and we did swim but the water is not anything like the rest of the beaches on the island. It suited us fine as we were warned about it and there are no vendors there so the beach is one of the few that is private. When we visited the isleno, we were immediately bombarded with requests to get our hair braided, drinks bought, necklaces for sale, etc. Also, we were at the isleno around 4ish and the beach is mostly shaded at that time, good for some, not for others, but just fyi.

As for the marazul, we had a blast. The staff is fantastic and everyone is always happy to see you and help you there. The activities crew was great and were always running games, dance lessons and fun activities to get involved in. Joel, my favorite crew member spent his last day there on January 30th and will be missed, but has moved on to another venture and I wish him all the best. Soliel, one of the activities crew is the sweetest most sincere girl with a heart of gold and a spirit to make you come alive and want to stay there forever. Jesse, looks just like Tupac/Kobe Bryant and is very friendly and a lot of fun, as is the crew member who looks like Barrack O’bama, although I never did find out his name, he made our trip more memorable and fun, just because he is there. Also, the activities staff has a cd made up for $10 for sale and has all the island songs they use in the shows on it. I purchased it and was not disappointed and everytime I hear it, I am instantly brought back to the happy place they call SAI.

Other honorable mentions go to the Sea Garden staff, this is the on site scuba shop at the marazul. My Boyfriend and I took the pool course with Eframe (sp?) and were told that we would be able to go for an excursion with them if we decided to. We decided to and were taken to a dive site near the west pool. We went down 30 feet for about 45 minutes and had the most amazing experience ever! The instructor went with us, made sure we were safe and doing everything correctly, and was wonderful. For $70 pp usd, it was worth that and more and I strongly suggest if you are one that has always “thought” about doing scuba, this is a great place to do it and learn about it. I felt totally safe and protected and always looked after and wasn’t afraid in the least with them.

I had a lot of questions about money before I went to san andres and still don’t really have all the answers. I found it easiest to use American as most of the prices for the excursions I found, were listed in usd and not pesos and I had no idea who took what? The equivalent we used was 10 000 pesos to about $5usd so cab rides, (before midnight) were $5 usd or 10 000 pesos, after midnight $10usd or 20000 pesos. I also brought about $40 in usd in singles and used it for tips and it lasted me the whole week, but also used pesos once we got there for small things as well. Usd is frequently used but you should make sure if that is what you bring, you bring $20’s or less as if you pay something with a $50 or $100, most likely you will get pesos back. They are usuable, but you need to spend it all before you go as I hear you can’t really exchange them back home. (don’t quote me on that one, just what I’ve heard). Bank machines are easy to use as long as you have a 4 digit pin, but bring a few kinds as my RBC didn’t work when I was there, but my Meridian card did. Maybe RBC would’ve worked another day, but that’s just how it happened for me. The only thing is that the bank machines are your best source for cash, or, the banks, either is a $5 -$10 cab ride from the resort so if you don’t plan on travelling downtown much, it’s a bit of a pain to go just for money, so bring enough to spend and you don’t have to worry about it. If you are using peso’s, the best rate is given at the airport, about 2200 pesos for $1 cad, the marazul was giving 1850 pesos for $1 cad and 2200 for $1usd. The gift shop only accepts usd or pesos and wont let you use visa unless you are spending over a certain amount. I found this the same in many cases, where the visa wasn’t suggested or you were charged extra. Also, I’ve heard that extra charges were getting put through peoples cards at some places so I chose to use the cash I brought when we could and that was sufficient.

Overall the marazul and san andres is a beautiful place to visit. The hotel is not a 5 star and not advertised as one. There are issues with cleanliness in some areas, however, they also advise not to put toilet paper in most public toilets on the island so that seems to make the difference in a lot of places. (fyi-carry some toilet paper or tissues with you as the airport and most public facilities do not have tp ). The beach isn’t the best but it is private and otherwise the resort is talked about being the best on the island. I thought the service, the food, the staff, the rooms (we had an issue and it was resolved within hours), the entertainment, drinks, activities, pool, grounds, etc, all were well above average and if you aren’t too fussy, the resort will meet your needs and you won’t be disappointed. The people in san andres and all friendly, easy going, kind hearted folks and seem happy you are visiting there and don’t seem to discriminate in any way or make you feel out of place, but instead, make you feel welcome and happy you decided to be there. If you are bringing gifts for the staff and locals, I have been asked to pass along word that san andres locals are all very eager to learn English and any type of books in English, dictionaries, learning tools, etc, are all happily received. As well, school supplies are always in great demand, books, notebooks, markers, backpacks, paper, anything of the sort, but no matter what you take, every single item you give, is greatly appreciated and cherished! If you get there and don’t know where to take the gifts, see marley at the pier or rodeo bar as she is very active in the church and community and will make sure what you bring goes to the people that desperately need it. Hope you have a fantastic time in san andres. Say hello to my heart as I left it there with the beautiful blue water and the amazing people they grow there, and if you have any questions you think I might be able to answer, please send me an email and I will help as best as I can. CHEERS!

• Liked — requests complied to and the activities crew and staff
  • Disliked — swimming at the hotel
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
11 Thank adventurerontario
Kincardine
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2008

If you don't want to read the whole review, just read this part!
***The first impression of this resort isnt' that good, but once you get into the atmosphere, explore the island, meet people, dance, drink, and just let go, you will have an amazing time at this resort and on the island! My parents are planning on going back in febuary! If you can get this hotel for under a thousand dollars you need to go! It is amazing and I guarantee if you dont' have very high expectations and you just want to have fun you will love it!**

I was at Marazul in San Andres from December 11th to th 18th. I travelled with a group of eleven, a mixture of my family and friends. When we arrived at the airport the sun was shining but the airport was very small and meant for a Long wait to get into the country. However, the airport staff was really nice and we weren't as intimated here as we were in Cuba. Unlike most places I have been we didnt' take a shuttle to the resort we took taxis, the trip in the taxi was frightening to say the least and within a few minutes we made a rational decision not to rent golf carts. The taxi was only about 10 minutes long but felt like forever because we almost ran over 3 people and almost hit about 10 motorbikes, and the only stop signs our driver stopped at were the ones that had policeman standing at them!

The check in at the hotel was very fast, we were the last people to get to the hotel from our flight, but they greeted us with dancers and a welcoming drink! The check in was in the conference room with lots of seating and the girls checking us in were very fast and they had everything ready when we got there. You will want to make sure that they give you everything you needed though, our lady forgot to give us our bracelets and our towel cards, it was no problem getting them at the front desk though.

We had a man carry all our bags to our rooms and bring us our remote control, the rooms were big and all you need. We did find a bit of an infestation of nosiums in the bathroom, which wasn't exactly lovely! The hotel was getting painted and fixed up while we were there, and it definitely needs it, a new coat paint would make the place look ten times better!

The groups first impression of the resort and our vacation wasn't the greatest, the pool is small, the staff doesn't speak a lot of english, there are windows on the hotel doors and if you are standing in the bathroom people in the hallway can see you, not cool. The beach is man made, so the sand isn't really sand, it's more like clay and the water is very murky. Pretty much everything is outside, and it rained a lot the first few days so it was hard not to get wet. The rain would come down hard and strong but it would only last for about half an hour at a time, then the sun would come right back out!

My family and I are big into snorkeling so we tried to snorkel at the resort the second day we were there. The water was so murky you couldn't see about two inches in front of your face, and when my boyfriend got in he was sure that something bit him and red bumps showed up on his arm. So snorkeling at the resort is out of the question. If you stand on the pier where the bar is thought you can see a few fish. The swimming area in the sea is very small, they have it roped off and its almost not worth going into, I would suggest swimming in the pool. I am very afraid of jellyfish and my parents saw one off the end of the pier - very close to the swimming area - so I didn't bother to go in the sea at the resort anymore.

We traveled with two vegetarians who found the food selection to be very poor for them, and I don't blame them! There is a small selection to begin with and most of it is meat, they ended up having to eat rice most of the time. I found the food to be very good, there was about 10 buffet choices and 2 of them were made right in front of you. the omelets in the morning were amazing, they make them right there and you pick what you want to put in them; however, you have to make sure they cook them thoroughly I had a few raw ones. We went to one a la carte dinner at the Caravelle, the food was AMAZING! I had the Mahi Mahi and it was the best fish I have eaten in my entire life!!!! No one had a bad meal (except one vegetarian who ordered fettucine alfredo, he didn't realize that there would be small bacon bites in the pasta so he spend a good ten minutes picking them all out!). The reason why we didn't go to the steakhouse a la carte was because it was located beside what must be the septic, or sewage pipes and it always smelled like poop. The snack bar was beside this too so we only went there once. The afternoon snack bar serves hot dogs, small hamburgers (you need about three patties to fit the gigantic bun), and potato wedges. The snack bar that is open between 12-2am is pretty much left overs from supper, but if you are up between those hours you probably just want some carbs to soak up the booze anyways. There is always an assortment of fresh breads and the rice is EXCELLENT!

We went to the shows almost every night, my sister won the Miss Decameron title on stage one night. And 6 of us went on stage for the couples night. It was good fun! The recreation staff are really fun we got pretty close with them, played volleyball with them almost everyday, went kayaking with them, and went to the disco with them. One of them even invited my boyfriend to go to a real reggae bar with him, he didn't accept the invite but it was a nice gesture. The recreation staff is always trying to get you up and moving, they play with the kids, do pool aerobics, beach aerobics, soccer, volleyball, water polo, dance lessons. Lots and lots going on! However, I must warn you that they are quite competitive, my girlfriends and I quit soccer because all the men playing were a little too serious! And when playing volleyball they didn't like it if you were on their team and you sucked! However, by one of the first days they knew us as the crazy canadians and that was cool!

We went to the disco a few times, very slow, at least the week we were there. Almost no one went to it, most of the time there would be the 9 of us and one other couple! But it made for good fun having the small dance floor to ourselves and it made us feel like the bartenders were hired just for us! The pier bartenders were awesome, they learned my dads drink and had it ready for him when they saw him coming. My boyfriend and a guy he meet usually stayed out there drinking until about 4 am, and the poor bartender would be sleeping behind the bar, but he was super nice he even filled a two litre pop bottle full of beer for my boyfriend to bring back to our room!

You can rent golf carts there and many people did; however, the roads and drivers are crazy so I wouldn't advise it. One woman we met rented one and she said that it was hard for her to find everything on her own. My dad rented 3 taxis for an afternoon it was $50 each and they were great! The taxi drivers spoke excellent english and taught us a lot about the island. Our driver even taught us some spanish! They took us to all the hot spots on the island - the highest point: it was a beautiful definitely check it out, you can see all the colours of the sea! We went Zip lining (I will touch on this later) - we went to the blow hole, Morgan's Cave, and the natural pool.
I wouldn't recommend the zip lining, it is fairly new and I don't think they are really organized yet. My dad did the whole thing without a helmet because they didn't have enough. I had to switch my harness after the first run because I guess something was wrong with it - they didn't hook up my back up cable! My dad and boyfriends back up cables got caught on the second run and stopped them about three quarters of the way down, my boyfriends burnt in half and they both had to pull themselves the rest of the way up. The towers that you climb up are attached to the trees and blow around (A LOT!) in the wind, it pretty much feels like the whole thing is about to break under you. Maybe in a few years it will be better, I hope!
Morgan's Cave was okay, they give you a good history lesson on the use of coconuts and pirates and Henry Morgan. But it is just a cave in the ground, nothing of real significance. It only costs $3 dollars to get in though so its something to do.
The blow hole was really cool, it is located on dead coral so wear running shoes and be careful. We went on a day that it wasn't very strong and peoples sunglasses still got blown off their heads. My boyfriends aunt went and it blew her off her feet and when she landed she broke two fingers.
The natural pool is very cool and a must for snorkeling lovers. There is a diving board and a waterslide, you pay a dollar to get in and they give you a piece of bread and let you use the slide and diving board as much as you want. There are lots of big fish that will eat the bread right out of your hands!

We also took the free shuttle to Acquario three times, this is a must! The white sand beach, crystal clear water, its amazing! You snorkel with sting rays, and fish of every colour! This was the best snorkeling I have done (besides Fantasy Island Roatan) I felt so safe, even though the sting rays would literally swim right under you!

We also went to Johnny Cay, this was ok. The island is nice but I almost wouldn't pay to go when I could take the free shuttle to Acquario. You can't really swim here or snorkel here because the waves are huge and the boats are constantly coming and going. It was crazy hot here and you have to pay for umbrellas or lounge chairs, and there isn't much shade. We did see the iguana feeding which was kool because there were soo many iguanas.

Our friends went into town shopping one day and to Aquarium for supper. They said the food and drinks were better at Aquarium but that we were definitely staying at a better resort. There is no beach there at all, only the public one you have to walk to.
The shopping is something I had never seen before on another island. Tommy Hilfiger, Roxy, Quiksilver, Hugo Boss, lots of designer stores and the prices are about the same as here. If you like shopping then definitely check it out. We went for about ten minutes and needed to get out of there it was soo busy! Buy your duty free alcohol there though it is cheaper than the airport! The coffee beans are cheaper at the airport, but we didn't look in a grocery store.

There are always lots of lounge chairs available and the resort never seemed to crowded, even thought it was sold out.

Our vacation was amazing, I'm not going to go back simply because there are so many other places in the world to explore but once I see everything I want to see I will back here in a heart beat!

• Liked — Tours, Recreation Staff, 24 hour bar
  • Disliked — sea water - murky
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank mgoetzy13
Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2008

We just came back from this beautiful island. Marazul hotel was the best compared with others Decameron hotels in the Island. The one thing we didn't like was the beach, you can swim and have a nice sunbathing but not like in downtown beach or Sun Luis beach where water is clear blue and white sand.
The room was big and always clean, but the old refrigerator was soooo noisy that we had to unplug it off. We saw some ants in the bathroom, not a big deal.
The stuff was great, always smiling and ready to help, they don"t wait for the tips, but if you give some they really appreciate it.
Some night shows like Carnavale was really very very good, much better than in other resorts.
We loved pier bar, its the nicest place in the hotel, everybody were hanging there and having drinks, you can always meet nice people there, many of them visiting island more than 1 time.
The food was very modest. I'm not a picky person and I always found something to eat, but I didn't enjoy it.
I made one very short call from the reception to the local cell phone and they charged me 3,5 $. Just be careful when you making calls, even locals.
We did snorkeling tour with Mario. It was simple the best snorkeling we ever had, swimming with rays and even kissing them was an amazing experience.
We not planing to come back, but only because we want to explore more places. The life is too short and the planet so big.

• Liked — pier bar
  • Disliked — beach
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple