“just decent .. nickel and dime ya .. not worth the $$$ - could have been”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Decameron Aquarium

Decameron Aquarium
Ranked #8 of 42 Hotels in San Andres Island
Milford, Connecticut, United States
“just decent .. nickel and dime ya .. not worth the $$$ - could have been”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2011

i stayed at the property last week: check in process can be improved upon drastically, we sat in a room similar to a church hall and was called up one at a time.. THANK GOD they were not busy, i could not imagine if they were busy. no welcome drink nada. we arrived during heavy rain and quickly found out that both options for the open bars were located outside (a walk down a pier) in the rain. not a chance for an all inclusive drink indoors. The 3USD per day for the lock for the safe was BS. It gets better - if you want a reservation at one of the three restaurants better wake up early - around 7:00 AM. we did one day and ate at the thai option. I got eaten alive by mosquitos as soon as i sat down. i was bleeding from the bites on my legs. dinning was rushed and the food was not made to order, i asked for the spicy curry and it was bland. The sushi appitizer (2 pieces) was chicken. Transfers are included in the rate : however up on leaving the bell person attempted to say that i had to pay for the taxi. apx $2.50 US. its the principle of the matter. the GOOD - staff at the barracudda buffet went above and beyond each and every night to insure we had a good meal. That was the best part of the trip by far. the wifi was also a profit center for the resort by the hr.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
6 Thank John R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Peterborough
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2011

We stayed at The Decameron Aquarium and did not know what to expect when arriving. We had won the vacation from a radio station,and from the moment we landed at the airport, until we reached our room, we knew we were in for something very different. The staff were very friendly and helpful in many ways. Spanish is the main language spoken, but English is a spoken all over the island. Our room was facing the main pier and sea food restaurant. We could stand on our balcony and watch fish swim by, as our building was built about 200 ft off the shore. I have never seen water more clear, and calm then at our resort. The main town is less then a 5 minute walk out the front gate and the shopping is incredible. The food at Aquarium was good. I have told many people over time that this is a very unique vacation to take. I would go back in a second. Renting a golf cart for a tour around the island is a must.

Room Tip: try to get an ocean view room. The view is incredible.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Broncobuster
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2011

Aquarium is a great choice if you want good service, beautiful views and fantastic food!
Next time I go to San andres, this will definitly be my choice, in a great location is near the commercial zone for shopping, and a few steps away from the night clubs.

The downside is the long process of the check-in. Be patient because you will lose sometime getting a room.

All in all I recommend it.

• Stayed September 2011
4 Thank DocAriana
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2011

ok i went with my husband to san andres on august 8 2011 until aug 12 2011
5 days 4 nights

i will tell you the true pros and cons

pros are simple

the hotel resort is wonderful for first timers, because it boasts everything you need without having to leave the hotel and spend additional money outside of the resort.

jetski rentals on site, swim with the fishes on site, food, ac, animation team , nightly shows, pools, activities throughout the day, awesome views of the ocean , very close to every thing if you decide to leave the hotel and walk around. also its located 2 min walk leaving the hotel you turn left to the culture bahia where all the small boats (lanchas) aka speed boats leave to go to the aquarium and johnny key. me and my husband went to both places with the dolphin blue group and the owners name is blacky. very cool hard working man from the island who took care of me and my husbands every need and want.

we got to the johnny key and wanted a vip lunch ( huge red snapper fish ) he took care of it all.

his helpers stand outside the entrance of the hotel and sell the roundtrip tickets to johnny key and the aquarium for 15,000 pesos per person roughly $8 each

the CONS about this hotel is also simple!

they are very limited with the buffet menu. they rarely have anything other then chicken and fish on a any given day.

never saw any kind of red meat or steak etc.

another bad thing is the reservations woman for the a lacarte restaurants are a pain in the rear. you have to wake up early eat breakfast then go line up upstairs in the lobbys second floor to get the reservation. their are currently 3 woman in charge of assigning the reservations. and they are all rude and will deny you a reservation if you dont hand over a nice tip or play along to their demands.

my husbands birthday was august 10 and i wanted to have a nice dinner with him, it didnt matter where, just wanted a nice candle lit dinner. and they were fully booked. i then asked my husband to try and make the reservatino himself, and the woman stated sure thing come back ffor your dinner reservations ticket within 2 hours. Luis my husband showed up to pickup the ticket and to his surprise the 3 woman stared at each other as if he and i were crazy. they told us no reservation was made and well long story short my husband had to reassure them that he was not to be messed with while on vacation. point blank they produced a receipt ticket with our information and we later went to the steakhouse that night for our reservation to be told that we werent on the list for dinner.

the people at the restaurant took care of the rest but just want to give you a head up about these three shady woman that work the a lacarte restaurant reservations.

all in all i would say this.

we were rarely at the hotel, theirs so much things to do at san andres outside of your hotel that you have alot of choices on where to stay and not neccessarily spend money on an all inclusive package. me and my husband have visited Aruba . Punta Cana, cartagena decameron( really worth while,look for my report as well) and several other destinations around the world that offered all inclusive and san andres menu was the worst.

i gave this hotel an EXCELLENT RATING simply because me and my husband enjoyed the sceneray the location the atmosphere and the disco at night.

we recommend renting a golf cart and touring the island at your own pace. its $50 us from 8am until 6pm - and it includes a full tank of gas! dont be fulled into renting the bigger golf carts only because they go faster. its roughly double the price and for 4 hours.

we also recommend stopping at all the decameron properties on the island ,since its included while you stay at any decameron hotel.

also do visit the westview pisinita natural pool where you can swim with the fishes of sea for only $1.40 us or go 20meters down into the water like we did with aqua nautas
we paid $55 per person and $45 for the pictures and videos taken of us while walking under water!

we also recommend buying water shoes to prevent getting cut or walking over a stingray..lol.

you willl also have to pay $25 us tourist card upon entering the island which goes towards the renovation of the island and improving tourism.

all done and said i would def. recommend san andres to everyone and we will be going again for december 2011.

Room Tip: they have tower 16 which is the latest and newst modernized tower with elevator its right next to...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
10 Thank cindy a
Mexico City, Mexico
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2011

The hotel its ok; it offers ok rooms, food and drinks as you could expect in a medium range all inclusive,but it´s one of the best options you are going to get. The hotel its interesting as its built in the sea which makes it nice. It has 3 or 4 restaurants where you can eat better than the average buffet, but its always crowded and you have to make line since 7:00 AM to get a booking, but that do not guarantee that you are actually going to get it. The service can be bad, specially in front desk, but it is part of the caribbean culture. During summer time it is crowded, mostly from colombian middle class families and during the afternoon can be little bit annoying to take sun and try to relax with all thje screaming kids and families. The hotel has not beach, but you can swim in the ocean. It is ok if your expectations are not to high.

3 Thank DANIELAORTIZM
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2011

I've stayed at various all inclusives before and this no doubt is the worst I've stayed at. They have an inpractical system of checking in at 3pm regradless if you arrive any earlier; your bags are left in a room with all the other guests. They have an explanation session but if you don't know Spanish don't bother going! The staff then call out each guest's name in a room. My friend and I waited half an hour and only after we went up and asked about our room did they tell us it still wasn't ready.
The bathroom power points and hairdryer weren't working and water leaked from the bathroom lights. This wasn't resolved until a day and a half later when I was placed in another room. I was intially on the bottom floor which is very noisy with the cleaners. Reception didn't always answer the phone when I called and I was sometimes given very different answers to the same question. The food was ok but if you want to eat at one of the restuarants you need to go to reception no later than noon the same day. Apparently there were queues at 7:30am!

I'm not fussy but for what I paid I did have an expectation and it was not worth it at all. I do not recommend staying here.

1 Thank MariaS74
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2011

I arrived at the Decameron Aquarium in the morning. They have a long and dis organised process for check in, where everyone goes into one room where paperwork and passport information is taken and they advise you to go and have lunch and come back at 2pm to receive your key to your room as check in is not until 3pm, our room was not ready until 4.30pm. (Be sure to pack your swimmers so at least you can then sit on the deck and sunbake while you wait) I had booked a room with a king bed for myself and my partner and was given a room with twin beds. I could not change rooms until the morning. Both rooms smelt of mould and were average and noisey, hardly any amenities and the bathroom is tiny. With the all inclusive if you prefer to eat the restaurants rather than the buffett you must go in person to reception and make a reservation between 8.30 and 11am as they will not accept calls from your room. I found the service poor and found that I had to follow the staff up for the changing of rooms. I would not stay here again!

Room Tip: If you do decide to stay make sure it's on the highest level and not ground floor otherwise you...