“Very good hotel, with its own beach near Rocky Kay”

Cocoplum Beach Hotel
Ranked #7 of 42 Hotels in San Andres Island
Paris, France
“Very good hotel, with its own beach near Rocky Kay”
Reviewed November 22, 2011

Stayed here for the second time in Nov 2011, and again I had an excellent time. The hotel is about 15-20 minutes drive from the airport, 500m away from Rocky Kay beach. It's small and comprehend only small caribbean style buildings. There is nothing much around and it's perfect for honeymooners or just to relax away from the city. The city centre is 15 minutes away by taxi, that can be arranged easily with the receptionist, since buses take long to come. The rooms are spacious, with big beds, very clean, with air conditioner and a good tv channels selection. There is mini fridge (empty, so convenient to bring your own stuff) and complimentary water and candies. The bathroom is ok, a bit small; there was no hot water available so we had to ask the reception to repair it, and also water pressure was low most of the times. My room had a balcony facing the street so it was a bit noisy early in the morning. The restaurant is average and a bit overpriced, although the corn soup and the lemon fish fillet are nice. The staff is friendly and ready to help. I enjoyed a lot the sea view from this small hotel, it's a good value for the money.

Room Tip: In the second floor, with a balcony not facing the street. The big rooms in the 3rd floor are also v...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Porto Alegre, RS
Reviewed August 16, 2011

The location is just unbeatable: you wake up and take your breakfast looking a 7 colors sea! Also the very friendly staff, the accommodation spacious and clean with an affordable price makes the hotel an excellent cost/benefit. Only one night in the Independence Day holiday, a house next to the hotel spent the night 'playing music to sound very high. The solution was to move to a room on the other side. Not the best food in San Andres but it is ok, well served, with a fair price.

Room Tip: Best rooms are those upstair with an ocean view
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mariamala
Weston, Florida
Reviewed June 10, 2011

I live in the US and work like crazy! I never have time to just relax and enjoy my time. therefor I love to go to the island of San Andres to renew my body and mind. I have been to San Andres several times and since I found the Hotel Cocoplum I would not cjange for nothing in the world. The food is amazing and the personal is very helpful and nice. The most important part for me is that it is the only hotel on the island that is right on the beach. And belive me the breakfast, lunch, and dinner at the beach are worth all my work the rest of the year. I absolutly recomen this Hotel to any future travelers to the island of San Andres, Colombia

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank caro87caro
venice, ca
Reviewed March 1, 2011

Relaxing, gorgeous beachfront is great, staff is lovely and warm. Stay upstairs bc lower rooms are quite damp and musty. If they served fresh fish and fruits, this would be a must-go; as it is, though, the food is very manufactured-tasting. Drinks are made from mix and are very very weak. Stay here instead of in town.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank lindsaylee74
brasil
Reviewed February 23, 2011

I booked this hotel by internet using tripadvisor as guide. I knew i was in risk due to some bad opnions.

Site photos are not the true reallity. When I arrived I got surprised about my room. Very old , a lot of mold all over the walls, the sanitary was leaking. After claming to front desk they moved me to a new one. Much better, better for me , bad for the another host that was driven to 104 room. The bad and AC are very nice too .

The breakfeast is very limited. You pay for breakfeast but in fact it is not good and if you want another glass of juice , or a slice of ham or chesse or fruit,,,,you shoud pay....sounds strange, but is the reallity.

The food a la carte is pretty good , i reccomend. Crew that work there are very nice.

The location is amazing, in front of the best beach of San Andres.

If you need internet conection for something, forget, very low speed, i d say no internet conection!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ecaixe
Sydney
Reviewed February 13, 2011

We picked Cocoplum because we wanted to be in smaller resort away from downtown and with direct beach access. On that criteria alone, Cocoplum definitely fit the bill! Also, I thought it was fair value for about USD130 a night for 2 (including breakfast and dinner).
Having said all that, our first impression upon arrival was that it was definitely in need of a renovation. We may have been staying at one of the unrenovated rooms (I didn't realise there were different rooms!) and I agree with one of the other reviewers that the bathroom does leave something to be desired. Also, we were told that our hot water system was a solar-based system and as a result, our showers were a little bit on the cold side! The inability to connect to wi-fi from our rooms was another source of frustration.
Negatives aside, we did spend some time on our days in San Andres looking at alternative accommodation. I didn't like any of the other big resorts and definitely did not like downtown so, in the end, we decided Cocoplum was actually a decent enough choice for San Andres. And the staff try to be helpful although it took us a few days to win over the kitchen staff!
The definite jewel in the resort is the direct beach access! It is a fantastic beach and is quiet and secluded. No hordes of tourists here! So, if you are relatively low maintenance, are not too fussy about the quality of the food or do not need wi-fi all the time, I would highly recommend this place. I actually wish I owned it because it would take very little to turn it from what it is to something amazing!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank dodgybro
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 16, 2011

We chose to stay at the Cocoplum Hotel as it is located on the beach and we had read the beach was lovely there too. It is, you will definitely not be disappointed with the beach.

We had booked to stay in a junior suite from 5th January to 12th January and from the details on the Cocoplum Hotel’s website the junior suites had hot water and a balcony. From reading reviews about this hotel it had been recommended we ask for a room in the renovated part of the hotel. So based on the description on their website and asking for a room in the renovated part of the hotel we still thought was US$267 per night was expensive but we knew it was peak season.

On arrival we were taken to our room, which was in the renovated part of the hotel (as we had requested in our e-mail) however there was no balcony which is important to me when on holiday. We had not specifically requested a balcony as this we thought this was standard as per the description of the junior suites on their website.

We were then taken to another room (not in the renovated part of the hotel) which had a balcony. We opted for this room, as it had a balcony, despite it having a grimy, old bathroom and only cold water (which we found out later on.) The bedroom was very nice though.

I must add that Claudia on reception and the Manager were very helpful and tried their best to accommodate our wishes. We did not like the junior suite due to the grimy bathroom and cold water. We then explained to them why we were still not happy and they offered us a standard room in the renovated part of the hotel. On viewing this the cost was only US$10 less per night and you got a smaller bedroom and there was no additional room that you had with the junior suite. We did not think that was worth US$257 per night so despite the awful bathroom we opted to stay where we were.

I think if you are considering staying at the Cocoplum Hotel you have to decide what is important to you. The beach location cannot be faulted with ample free sun loungers and free beach towels etc but if you do not wish to eat in the hotel restaurant (poor food and we had the option of all the meals available as we were not all-inclusive) you will need to travel into town every evening and the buses stop running at 8.30 pm so it’s a taxi there (12,000 pesos one way and 20,000 pesos after midnight to return back to Cocoplum).

We are also aware that we were staying in the peak season when prices are expensive so if you are prepared to put up with poor food in the restaurant, cold water and a grimy bathroom (unless you are in the renovated part of the hotel) you need to decide what you think is a fair price to pay for this and bear in mind there is nowhere to go out nearby so factor in the cost of taxis.

You will see my from my attached pictures the renovated part of the hotel (the blue building). There are only two junior suites with balconies which have a sea view. The rooms on the ground floor are standard rooms and the suites at the top do not have balconies.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends