Two days after our stay ot this hotel the charges for our room appeared to my bank account. There were 3 separate charges, only one being the room charge. There were two other charges $60 and $170. I immediately called to question them, only to be told that they were "prior-authorization charges". they should have been charged at check-in she said, but all came through at the same time, I explained. she said they were not actual charges and that they were "holds" and would come off in a few days. I explained that these CHARGES were never told to me or authorized by me and they were difinately charged to my account. I found it unacceptable that I would have to wait 3 dys for them to "diappear" from my account, called my bank to question and was told to have the hotel fax a request to have the chrges removed, which I did. By the time these charges are removed from my account it was three days after i checked out.
As for the hotel itself, it is a perfect location on the beach, parking is on a first come first serve basis for their parking lot (which they charge for) or you have to pay for street parking meters.
There was a "convention" at the hotel while we were there and we were told that the pool area was closed for their party and we were not able to use it for the day. We were there with a lacrosse organization for a tournament and had a large number of kids with us, imagine telling them "no you cant swim" it was almost 100 degrees.
Our bathroom floor looked like it hadnt been cleaned in ages, it had so much build-up you could see where people stand, the tub had hair on the walls (prior to us using it)
The floor ice machines could not keep up with the needs of its customers and were always empty.
The 3 elevators were small and usually had only 1 or 2 working, never three.
It is an old historic building, has much charm and has been remodeled inside. If the housekeeping and customer service improved it would be a great place to stay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled along the Jersey Shore, just a few steps from the famous Asbury Park boardwalk, the Atlantic Ocean provides gorgeous panoramic views and the ultimate setting for your relaxing getaway. The Berkeley’s coveted beachfront location has convenient proximity to an array of local hotspots, the most notable is The Stone Pony. Our oceanfront hotel is only an hour away from Philadelphia and New York City, making it easily accessible. Head to the Tiki Bar and enjoy a cocktail poolside under the private cabanas for the ultimate relaxation experience. Or you can soak up the sun on the beach and then head across the street to the legendary Stone Pony. If you are one of lucky ones you may catch a surprise appearance by “The Boss”, Bruce Springsteen. The nightlife is diverse and when you stroll along the boardwalk, you will discover great beaches, great shopping, and delicious dining options. The boutique NJ hotel and the historic seaside community is the ideal venue for your wedding featuring magnificent ballrooms and an expansive rooftop perfect for your ceremony or a sunset cocktail party. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, TravelClick, Orbitz, Priceline, Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Berkeley Oceanfront Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Berkeley Hotel Asbury Park
- Berkeley Carteret Oceanfront Hotel
- Berkeley Asbury Park