“watch charges to your account”

Berkeley Oceanfront Hotel
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Asbury Park
Rochester, New York
“watch charges to your account”
Reviewed July 27, 2010

Two days after our stay ot this hotel the charges for our room appeared to my bank account. There were 3 separate charges, only one being the room charge. There were two other charges $60 and $170. I immediately called to question them, only to be told that they were "prior-authorization charges". they should have been charged at check-in she said, but all came through at the same time, I explained. she said they were not actual charges and that they were "holds" and would come off in a few days. I explained that these CHARGES were never told to me or authorized by me and they were difinately charged to my account. I found it unacceptable that I would have to wait 3 dys for them to "diappear" from my account, called my bank to question and was told to have the hotel fax a request to have the chrges removed, which I did. By the time these charges are removed from my account it was three days after i checked out.
As for the hotel itself, it is a perfect location on the beach, parking is on a first come first serve basis for their parking lot (which they charge for) or you have to pay for street parking meters.
There was a "convention" at the hotel while we were there and we were told that the pool area was closed for their party and we were not able to use it for the day. We were there with a lacrosse organization for a tournament and had a large number of kids with us, imagine telling them "no you cant swim" it was almost 100 degrees.
Our bathroom floor looked like it hadnt been cleaned in ages, it had so much build-up you could see where people stand, the tub had hair on the walls (prior to us using it)
The floor ice machines could not keep up with the needs of its customers and were always empty.
The 3 elevators were small and usually had only 1 or 2 working, never three.
It is an old historic building, has much charm and has been remodeled inside. If the housekeeping and customer service improved it would be a great place to stay.

• Stayed July 2010
ashmahon, Manager at Berkeley Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this review, July 29, 2010
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your comments on your experience. We appreciate your feedback and I apologize that the charges regarding debit cards were not further explained and we will address this issue promptly. We are glad that you enjoyed our property and look forward to seeing you again on your next visit to the Jersey Shore!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 27, 2010

Aside from the complete lack of parking, walking into the hotel was like walking into an old musty, mold infested basement. The entire hotel smelled of mold and the AC clearly wasn't working anywhere in the hotel because everywhere we walked, our skin was sticky with all the moisture and humidity in the air. Our room was infested with ants and flies and I ended up leaving there with bite marks all over my legs. The sheets and floor were filthy! There was a so called "brown out" and they lost all power for 2 hours(including no AC, no phones, no elevators, no lights, no hot water...NOTHING!) However, a friend of ours was staying right down the street and they were not affected by this "brown out" which leads me to believe that it was a hoax! Good cover Berkeley! I was told by the GM that he would be calling me to address my concerns. After calling him 6 times...he STILL has yet to return my phonecalls. I WILL make sure that I am reimbursed for this GOD AWFUL stay! The majority of the group that we came with, which was hundreds of people, ended up leaving the first or 2nd night out of complete and utter disgust. I cannot BELIEVE that this hotel has the NERVE to make promises that they obviously cannot keep! I am sure they are going to apologize for my awful stay but what does that do for me? Is that going to put the money back in my account that I feel they OWE me after the horrific experience I had?! I still had to pay an arm and a leg for the WORST experience of my entire life because the GM refuses to get back to me! If I had to say ONE thing about this hotel if anyone is deciding to stay there...DON'T DO IT! DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME OR MONEY ON THIS PLACE!

1 Thank kcdst1
Dear Valued Guest,

We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your experience. Unfortunately the parking is something out of our control. As in any busy city, parking is always an issue and every hotel in the area has a similar problem. The Berkeley was unfortunately part of the brownout that parts of Asbury Park experienced on Saturday. We had no control over the situation and we did everything we could to help our guests during this brief timeframe. We appreciate your understanding on this matter and hope that you will think of us again on your next visit to the Jersey Shore.

Travelers are raving about these Asbury Park hotels

Pottstown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 26, 2010

My husband and I checked in at 4:00 pm and were out by 9:00 pm. There was absolutely no AC. When we complained we were offered other rooms and they were all the same - HOT. In talking with other guests, we discovered they had the same problem several weeks ago and still not fixed. We were told they had fixed the problem and it would take a while for the rooms to cool down. I believe we gave the hotel enough time to fix the problem. I would never recommend this hotel to anyone.

Yonkers, New York
Reviewed July 26, 2010

Look folks, I always tell my girlfriend when she books our hotels not to pay attention to the negative reviews of hotels like this. We payed the weekday price of $109 a night (an absolute steal for a beach hotel in July). The hotel was just what we needed. It was clean, comfortable, had a pool, and was right next to the boardwalk/beach.

For $109, or even $129 (the weekend price), this hotel was more than satisfactory. If you are very picky, I would not recommend it, but then of course you're going to be paying much more for the same location.

My one criticism would be lack of parking, but we just parked on the street (one with no meters) with no problem.

Bottom line, if you want the Ritz, pay for the Ritz.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
ashmahon, Manager at Berkeley Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this review, July 27, 2010
Dear Valued Guest,

We're so excited to hear that you enjoyed your experience and hope to see you again soon on your next visit to the Jersey Shore!
Adams, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 16, 2010

Honestly I cannot say anything pleasant about this hotel. We arrived at the hotel front entrance where the doors had to be yanked open. When checking in the front desk was not very friendly. There was only one out of three elevators that was in service. Our floor (7th) and the floor below us did not have working ice machines. The air conditioning was not working very well. There were ANTS in our room & no shampoo. The bed was stiffer than a hardwood floor. Internet is $9.95/day and to have a fridge in your room costs $25 (a total rip off when you're already spending $129/night or more). Parking from Thursday - Sunday costs you $15/day. There is no breakfast during the week and no coffee (although they tell you there is). The parking lot is in the back of the hotel, but there is no entrance from the back so you have to walk all the way around to the front entrance. The first night staying at this hotel we had parked our car in the hotel's parking lot & by the next morning we had planned to go on a trip to the Aquarium but our trip was instantly ruined by the sight of having our car's front driver-side window smashed & broken into. The hotel took no responsibility. When we talked to the police they reported that last summer the hotel had had the same situation happen at the hotel; except every other car had been broken into. The parking lot has no security, security cameras, or lights (giving burglars a perfect opportunity to break into your car). The hotel has no respect for their guests, a lack of security, and horrible service. I would never recommend this hotel to anyone. Do not stay here!

1 Thank ginack10
ashmahon, Guest Relations Manager at Berkeley Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this review, July 18, 2010
Dear Valued Guest,

I am sorry to hear that you did not have a pleasant experience during your stay. In any busy city, security is always an issue; the car break ins were something that we obviously wish we could have prevented. It is the first time that has happened and we have taken additional steps to improve the security behind our property. We take your comments very seriously and I am happy to report that we have already improved on many of the issues you have encountered. We hope you will try us again so that you can personally experience all of these improvements on your next visit to the Jersey Shore.
Scranton, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 15, 2010

Our experience was bad from the second we arrived. We called for an early check in and upon arrival were told a room was actually not available. After returning hours later we checked into a dirty room. I cleaned the hair from the bathroom myself, none of the lights worked or the phone. As we looked to make sure they were plugged in we found dirt, garbage, and even half eaten pizza on the floor. Down I go the front desk, from the 6th floor, since the phone didn't work. They sent a maintenance man who said he cant do anything, they sent someone to vacuum the room and remove the pizza, we return at 11pm, and the pizza is still there. Took over 24 hours to have the pizza removed, even after a manager came to look at it. God forbid she picked it up! Only 1 elevator worked, hotel smelled horrible, AC hardly worked, ice machines didn't work, nightstand was broken, pool closed, moldy shower, minimal parking, no room service, internet service down, no working phone, no towels, and no one to do anything about it!!! I received a million "I'm sorry" from the incompetent staff, including a manager, that's it. Hotel is in the hood, it's filthy and a waste of money only looks good in pics. Poor choice of material for a hotel, everything is DIRTY!! Cant wait to see their response, "Thanks for reviewing our hotel, sorry you didn't enjoy your stay, we take it into consideration, blah, blah, blah, try actually DOING something about it!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank dodaday210
NY
Reviewed July 12, 2010

I highly do NOT recommend this place.
No parking, No service. What coffee?
No room service. No towels-NO SOAP-No wash cloths-
Ugly.
Hot.
Nasty staff.
My room was so dirty, that after 3 of their attempts at cleaning it,
I took Toilet paper and wiped down the bathroom floor.
In front of everyone-I rode the elevator down with the filthy hair, dirt paper and showed it to the front desk.
What did he say? Sorry. Yep-That is it.
He would not touch it, and was offended that it was on the front counter.
I said-Your afraid to touch it, but you want me and my children to walk and shower in it?
NO REPLY!
He called a man over-said did you clean this room. He said-Wait for it-Yep!
O.M.G. I finally begged for cleaning cloths and rags. I wanted Clorox Clean up or something- But all they gave me was this really gross overly sweet pink spray.
I spent my first night-not on the Boardwalk-but cleaning my room.
EVERYTHING was filthy.
Mold, dirt, food, hair (None of it ours-we had just gotten there)
I asked for it to be vacuumed at least 5 times- It never was.
I actually had to clean food of the walls and molding. Not drips or spills mind you. CHUNKS.
The sofa sleeper was filthy with no pillows or sheets-No blanket.
We had to take our blanket off the bed and use it as a base sheet for my children.
The mattress dipped a good foot in center-Like a hammock!
We slept with the windows open, and with children there was NO safety bars on the 7th floor, and the screen were ancient and loose.
We were not the only ones complaining.
Stay far, far away- It is a run down dump-with run down staff, and apparently- owners.
No one cares there.

1 Thank User690593
ashmahon, Guest Relations Manager at Berkeley Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this review, July 13, 2010
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your experience and will use your review as a guide as we continue to improve the experiences of our guests.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Asbury Park
The Asbury Hotel
The Asbury Hotel
#1 of 6 in Asbury Park
Empress Hotel
Empress Hotel
#2 of 6 in Asbury Park
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites West Long Branch
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suit...
#1 of 3 in West Long Branch
Bungalow Hotel
Bungalow Hotel
#2 of 4 in Long Branch
Hotel Tides
Hotel Tides
#4 of 6 in Asbury Park
Holiday Inn Express Neptune

Been to Berkeley Oceanfront Hotel? Share your experiences!