I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.
The building is really cool and the hotel is decorations are modern. The style is very different, but works. The location is great - just don't arrive too late - kind of scary at night.
The staff was rude and did not know how to deal with customers. They didn't know the first thing about hospitality or how to work at a hotel. By the end of the weekend I was actually surprised they were not better at dealing with problems - there were so many unhappy people. There was no manager on duty most of the time - I had to wait until 11 am Saturday monring to speak with her. She apparantly got stuck in traffic? I have never seen so many unhappy people asking to speak with a manager - perhaps that is why they are never there...
The AC did not work in our room or on our floor the entire weekend. Reading other reviews from at least a month ago, it appears this is an old problem. The staff told us that it was a new problem and that it was being worked on around the clock - obviously not true. We were told to open our windows - which we did, but we were on the 8th floor with two small children. There were no window guards to keep kids from falling out the windows and my kids were able to climb on the low window sill. We had to rearrange the furniture to avoid this. I hope that there isn't an accident because of this.
The satellite TV was out. The manager said it was because of a rainstorm... Again an old problem that has not been fixed.
The shower is just a shower - the fill for the tub didn't work, so we couldn't give the kids baths. The water pressue is also pretty low.
The parking is rediculous. It is first come first served, so we spent a bit of time waiting for someone to leave. There is only room for 50 cars at best which is probably less than half of the guest rooms. The lot in the back is not easily accessible and is not safe at all.
Breakfast was a joke. The bagels are not fresh and the toaster didn't work right. The juice was horrible. No cereal, fruit, etc.
There was no ironing board in the room.
One of the three elevators was not working when we arrived. Apparently someone got trapped. At the end of our stay it was operating, but it not right. It didn't stop on the floor that it was supposed to and got suck between floors with us in it.
When I called two weeks before arriving they said the pool would be open. When we arrived there was a sign that said it would be another week.
There is no sign outside for the hotel other than a cheap vinyl banner that is hung up where the sign should be. Many of the signs within the hotel are just printed on paper and hung up on the wall with thumb tacks.
In my opinion, it looks like someone renovated the hotel and ran out of money. If it were finished, the mechanical issues fixed and a new staff was hired and trained this could be a great hotel. Until then, the hotel should not be open.
We ended up getting the 1/3 off the rate, but it would not have been worth it if it were free!!!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- As historic Asbury Park's premier boutique hotel, The Berkeley Oceanfront Hotel enjoys a prime location along the New Jersey shoreline just steps from the famed boardwalk. Designed by noted Beaux Arts architect Warren Whitney of New York, the hotel recently underwent a renovation of historic proportions and is poised to experience the renaissance of this nineteenth-century seaside destination. Modern luxuries complement the classic grandeur of this 238-room famous hotel, with a nod to the Victorian architecture and oceanfront glamour of Asbury Park's storied past. The Berkeley Oceanfront Hotel embodies everything that is the revitalization of the famed Jersey Shore and itself represents the rebirth of this cultural icon. The Berkeley offers a bar and restaurant during the summer season only. Parking is available in our lot at an additional cost. Parking is provided on a first come, first serve basis as it is limited. The Berkeley prides itself on being a pet friendly hotel. Pet friendly rooms are offered on a designated floor at an additional cost. A complimentary coffee service is available daily from 7 AM to 11 AM for all overnight guests. For questions or concerns, please reach out to the email provided on our general information page. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, TravelClick, Travelocity, Priceline and Booking.com so you can book your Berkeley Oceanfront Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Berkeley Hotel Asbury Park
- Berkeley Carteret Oceanfront Hotel
- Berkeley Asbury Park