My friend and I needed a place to stay by the beach that wasn't too expensive and didn't require a 2 night stay. Search was on and The Berkley was found.
THE GOOD: One thing to keep in mind is this hotel only just opened in early summer of '08.They opened a small batch of ready rooms and went from there. The hotel met the needs listed. It was clean and had lots of character. Our room was stylish and provided a GREAT view of the ocean. Sure, it's obvious they are still working out some kinks (especially with customer service standards) but I'd return and suggest to friends in the 20-30 age range. It was in walking distance to downtown, nearby shops and the boardwalk. If you're looking for the B&B experience, look into neighboring Ocean Grove.
THE BAD: Would I suggest to my parents? No. They prefer higher grade of chains. So, if you're a Ritz Carleton/Marriott person- then the Berkley isn't for you. For families? No. However I don't think that's what the brand is going for. As one who has worked in many areas of hospitality, my biggest gripe was that the Berkley's customer service needs some serious tightening and set standards. For such a young hotel trying to make a strong foundation and could benefit from word of mouth publicity there seems to be a lack of protocol. The NY breakfast was a joke and the staff should refrain from eating it until all guests are done. (go to the nearby bakery in the boardwalk) Would it have killed them to extened our check out an hour? no. Parking needs to be worked out- parking in the back and then walking around the long path and the needed a parking permit (a copied piece of paper) is a defunct system.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled along the Jersey Shore, just a few steps from the famous Asbury Park boardwalk, the Atlantic Ocean provides gorgeous panoramic views and the ultimate setting for your relaxing getaway. The Berkeley’s coveted beachfront location has convenient proximity to an array of local hotspots, the most notable is The Stone Pony. Our oceanfront hotel is only an hour away from Philadelphia and New York City, making it easily accessible. Head to the Tiki Bar and enjoy a cocktail poolside under the private cabanas for the ultimate relaxation experience. Or you can soak up the sun on the beach and then head across the street to the legendary Stone Pony. If you are one of lucky ones you may catch a surprise appearance by “The Boss”, Bruce Springsteen. The nightlife is diverse and when you stroll along the boardwalk, you will discover great beaches, great shopping, and delicious dining options. The boutique NJ hotel and the historic seaside community is the ideal venue for your wedding featuring magnificent ballrooms and an expansive rooftop perfect for your ceremony or a sunset cocktail party. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Booking.com, Priceline, TravelClick, Expedia, Hotels.com, Hotwire, getaroom.com, Orbitz and HotelQuickly so you can book your Berkeley Oceanfront Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Berkeley Hotel Asbury Park
- Berkeley Carteret Oceanfront Hotel
- Berkeley Asbury Park