“Fresh,renovated and cheap!!!”

Berkeley Oceanfront Hotel
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Asbury Park
Reviewed August 5, 2008

Just want to say that the hotel is renovated and it felt like 4 star room when me and my friend stayed for two days. Cheap and very clean with a touch of luxorius!!
Maybe we got a great room but we felt like kings!
The breakfast was free continetal and it was an ok pool. Near to the beach and to the Stone Pony.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with friends
1  Thank massolippo
There are newer reviews for Berkeley Oceanfront Hotel

Reviewed July 29, 2008

I wanted to stay in Asbury Park and really this was the only option. They dropped the rates so I booked a standard room at $139 for a Sat. night. The front desk was very courteous and did a nice job. The rooms have new carpet, bedding, flat screen tv's and soft goods. The bathroom showers have that stupid half glass wall which must a European thing but it lets cold air in on you and it's a lot easier to get water all over the place. Didn't have towel racks in bathroom and the room's A/C while it worked it was noisy and the room seemed damp. The windows always had condensation on them.

I'm guessing there's still a lot of rooms that are not ready b/c when you look up at the hotel you'll see windows blocked or propped open like if they're airing it out.

Tiny little pool and just steps from the boardwalk/beach and convention center.

Asbury is being built up again with new condos and shops so I'm sure the Berkeley rates will increase as they see the demand. Overall it was a nice place with limited ammenities. But you wouldn't find anything this nice for $130 on a Sat. night across the street from the beach in OC!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 25, 2008

I’ve stayed at the Berkeley a few times over the last several months for business. The first time I stayed, I never thought I’d return. The hotel definitely needed improvements, the ceiling leaked in the lobby (granted it’s an old building), I had some issues with the front desk, and it was considerably over priced.

I spoke to the general manager about my problems, and somehow he convinced me to give it another try. The rooms are nicely decorated and it’s right on the Asbury Park boardwalk, so I reluctantly agreed and booked my next stay before I departed.

I arrived two weeks later and the stay was definitely an improvement over last time. Check in was smoother, and I had a beautiful ocean view room. I still felt the price was a little excessive for a hotel that still had construction going on, the gym was not finished, and there were a couple smaller inconveniences.

I spoke to the same gentleman from my previous stay and voiced my concerns once again. He said the rates future booking are now “more competitive”, the gym would be ready next week, the gift shop would be open, etc. I liked the hotel, but decided to wait and book online. Sure enough the rates were lowered, $97.00 for my Monday/Tuesday stay. Much better then the $200+ I was paying just weeks earlier. This stay was fine, the gym was open, as was the gift shop. There were more improvements and fewer problems. The hotel is a much better value then before, it just needs a restaurant and bar.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed July 10, 2008

This hotel is really nice they remolded it and is is very up to date,
HOWEVER apon checking in I had to pay with my credit card I had two rooms and I paid seperately they screwed up MY two credit cards so bad that IT took me over a week to resolve and IS still not resolved, the staff are not trained propertly and should not be using A credit card system IF THEY ARE NOT EQUIPT, THEY NEED proper TRAINING. THEY RIPPED ME OFF FOR OVER 1000.00 on one of my cards AND 335 ON another. This is totally UNEXCEPTABLE. even the general manager could NOT RESOLVE. I have been argeing with there staff since CHECK-IN. I suggest IF you don't want more than your stay off of your credit card that you find another hotel to stay in. otherwise you will be missing lots of money.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed June 26, 2008

hotel seemed very nice. Front desk girl was terribly rude to me , and when i asked to see the manager , she was rude too. Room was ok - looked nice - but lacked major items that a hotel usually has, like a mini fridge, bathmat, trashcan, chair in front of mirror for makeup.

Overall, the hotel is chic and well decorated, but the renovation is so sloppy and cheap, especially the lobby. the bathtub in the hotel wasn't replaced and the jets were spewing nasty brownish water that was remaining in them for who knows how long. Elevator was broken.

We had an event here, and the event planner, Cheryl, made promises that weren't kept. The manager couldn't do anything about it, and was rude and did not make any attempt to apologize for her event planner's broken promises. I love asbury park, but unfortunately would plan an event elsewhere next time.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed June 24, 2008

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 16, 2008

Don’t let the looks of this place fool you. I have NEVER stayed a night in a hotel that costs this much. I figured that just one night in my life I would stay at a nice place. Well this wasn’t it! I wanted to see a room before booking it and they showed me a room. It was very nice and there was a couch in the room. I thought, perfect, one of the kids could sleep there. Everything looked nice so we took the room. Hubby got the things from the car and we waited in the lobby for about 20 minutes for them to figure out how to check us in as they were having computer problems. This should have been our sign. They finally took an impression of my card and got us checked in. After I parked the car and got up to the room my husband was just sitting there in the chair sweating. Well the room they showed me had a couch so I figured the one they booked us would be that room or the same. Wrong! No couch and the A/C was NOT working. The front desk staff were trying to be helpful and went to find us another room. The upgraded us to a room on the ocean side and a bigger room. This didn’t matter to us all we wanted was A/C. Again, the A/C was not working correctly. The halls were very hot and our room wasn’t much better. I was also told that there was free wireless in the lobby. I thought, great, I have a few things I need to take care of. WRONG again! No wireless at first then they would reset the router and I would have wireless then poof it was gone. It was so frustrating that I left to head down the street for a constant signal. The night staff lady was very nice and before I left to use Wi-Fi she offered to let me sit behind the desk and use their direct line. That just didn’t seem right to me and I didn’t want to do that. We had a nice conversation and I left. I really felt like leaving and getting a room somewhere else but we were all settled in. So we tried real hard to make the best of it. Since I was out using Wi-Fi down the road I discovered that the night air was cool. So up to the room to open the window. WRONG! The window would go up but not stay up. So asked at the front desk for something that I could use to prop up the window. Nothing! Keep in mind that this place is under renovations and you would think that there would be a piece of wood I could have used. She offered me her clipboard but that would only open it up 12 inches and it was flimsy and not safe. So I recalled seeing a service room on the 4th floor. Found a tube from a shop vac that I used to hold up the window. Now all I needed was a fan to blow the night air in. No luck there either. Then there is the issue of the shower. The new style has glass on half the tub, nothing the rest of the way. I was told this was the latest style. Let me tell you about the latest style. Only one of us showered here. The floor was soaked after one shower. We didn’t feel like mopping the floor after each use. So we slept in that hot room hoping and praying that things would be better in the morning. Well they weren’t. We headed for the pool before check-out. When getting on the elevator I saw the cleaning crew. I told them if they were coming to our room to leave it alone as we would be checking out in a couple hours. When I headed up to the room they were in our room after I told then not to be in there. Unreal! Can’t they listen? After all, we were the ONLY paying guests in the entire hotel. What a mistake! We packed up and headed out only to find other issues. In the bathroom was a black bug of some kind. I think it was an earwig (they like water) and since the floor was soaked from the one shower that was taken in the room I figured that is what it was. And on the way out the door a hairy light brown over an inch long was creeping around. Yuck yuck yuck!!!! Didn’t even tell them about the bugs we saw as it would do no good since at this point as we were out of there. The Berkley might be a nice place to stay, someday, but not now. It just isn’t ready. All the problems should have been told to us before we checked in, especially about the A/C. Actually we shouldn’t have been charged at all given all the issues or extremely discounted. I would have been more comfortable pitching a tent than at this hotel and cooler too!

We headed down the road and found a Travel lodge with a pool, clean room, continental breakfast and all for half the price and got a good night’s rest.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
Empress Hotel
Empress Hotel
#2 of 6 in Asbury Park
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites West Long Branch
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suit...
#1 of 3 in West Long Branch
Bungalow Hotel
Bungalow Hotel
#2 of 4 in Long Branch
Red Roof Inn Neptune
Red Roof Inn Neptune
#2 of 6 in Neptune
Holiday Inn Express Neptune

Been to Berkeley Oceanfront Hotel? Share your experiences!