“2nd time better”

Berkeley Oceanfront Hotel
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Asbury Park
“2nd time better”
Reviewed November 28, 2013

Went hear almost year ago wasn't happy contact the hotel got a free night to make up for our first visit. This time the front desk was nice and help us with even upgrade the room to a suite for free too. The room was ok I don't think I would pay 499 for the room needs a little more tcl and wind noise and brightness in am makes hard to sleep in. But for a date night with a few drinks downstairs is perfect . Will return .

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Johnny C, General Manager at Berkeley Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
I am so glad that you enjoyed your second stay at our hotel. Over the last few months we have worked hard to improver our service, the cleanliness of our hotel, and the overall maintenance of the property. We still have some work to do, but it's nice to know that we are definitely making some headway and it's getting noticed.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (255)
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed November 26, 2013

The location of this hotel is great because it's in waking distance to the boardwalk and beach. In addition, it's a gorgeous hotel with nice rooms and interior decorating. However, we did not have the best experience here. The front desk was rude (however the valet staff was amazing and nice). In addition, the small pool in the back with the bar was where we wanted to spend most of our time. The day we planned on vegging out there for hours there was a small something in the pool and they made everyone get out and they shocked the pool interrupting everyone and burning our eyes and nose with the chemical smell. I really don't think that was necessary and it definitely put a damper on our experience. Not the best hotel experience I've had at all.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Jessica, thank you for your comments concerning our hotel and your experience. Allow to jump right in and apologize for the rudeness, that is something that is completely unacceptable and will not be tolerated. I can also share, that since your stay in the summer and my joining the property 3 months ago, we have made many improvements as to the service our guests receive, including replacing some of the staff and re-training the existing team members.

As to the pool, although I can't be sure what was actually in the pool; I can tell you that, under certain circumstances the steps you are describing are required by the board of health to ensure that our guests are safe from anything that might harm them or make them sick. I will confer with our chief engineer as to the chemicals and the length of time that the pool was closed, so that in the future the burning reaction you had does not happen again.

I look forward to welcoming you back to The Berkeley Oceanfront soon, so that you have the opportunity to experience our hotel in a better light.
Washington, DC
Reviewed November 26, 2013

Stayed for business in November, which is off season, so it wasn't busy. The rooms were clean and comfortable and service was friendly. The feeling throughout the property was a slightly odd fusion of outdated decor and modern conveniences, like a renovation that was never quite fully finished. Starting with the door to the room, there was a slot for a keycard, but when my keycard didn't work, I was given an old-school metal key for the deadbolt instead. Inside the room, a modern digital thermostat sat next to an old-fashioned thermostat with the knobs taken off so I'd know to use the newer one. The flat screen TV and iPod dock alarm clock were nice touches, and the room was spacious, but the decor felt a few decades old (not necessarily a bad thing, depending on your taste for zebra-print carpenting). Bathroom and amenities were nice, but water took a long time to heat up and sink did not always drain properly. Rates were very reasonable in the off season, but they nickel and dime a bit on other things. It was $20 per night to park in a pretty empty lot, $25 for a mini-fridge in the room. Location is good, right across from the boardwalk and convention center. I would consider staying again if I were in the area.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Reilly_Peanut
Thank you so much for taking the time to provide your feedback on the hotel. As the hotel manager I take each persons feedback very seriously and use it to improve our hotel.

As to the décor, you are right, we have a lot of contemporary finishes coupled with some of the older elements of the property. Since the hotel was built in 1925, we have tried to leave as many of those elements around the property as possible. From the painted brick columns in the lobby , the stone stair case leading to our mezzanine level and ballrooms, to the large windows and moldings in our event space. Even in our guest rooms we wanted to reflect both the charm of the turn of the century design with Asbury's eclectic sense of style.
As to the water temperature, we are in the process of re-building one of our boilers to assist with the added demands that we have seen over the last few years. Once completed we trust that many of the issues with temperature will go away.
Warwick, Rhode Island, United States
Reviewed October 30, 2013

The hotel itself has a beautiful historic feel and it fits AsburyParks demeanor perfectly. The Lounge was lively and wonderful and even the guest rooms were alright. Modern decor, you could tell they're trying to do their best with the old building. The service however, absolutely horrible. First let me say I have been the banquet manager, front desk manager, and housekeeping manager of the Crowne Plaza outside Boston. It is huge convention and meeting property, so I am more than used to dealing with accommodating guests of events and rearranging preblocks. We were there to attend a wedding held at a separate location on what appeared to be a busy weekend. We were given the wrong type of room, so I had gone down to e Front Desk to see if it were possible to change my room type. Jamila was the agent who responded. I got an immediate attitude that I was upgraded by a manager and I should be grateful because they didn't have to do that. She told me it would be inconvenient for her to move my room, even though that's her job. She then proceeded to talk negatively about me right in front of me and other guests to her SUPERVISOR. Who didn't reprimand her in the slightest. It's awful to be a guest of a hotel, and be made to feel like you can't ask for anything. I was discouraged to address any staff member the rest of my stay. Jamila was so rude with both words and tone of voice that I just wanted to smack her. Had one of my staff treated a GUEST that way, I would've fired them on the spot. My mind was blown, and I will never return. I've also told everyone I know in the industry about this experience and all have had the same response. RIDICULOUS! And to top it all of there was a huge bloodstain on my pillow.

Room Tip: Go for Oceanview because AsburyParks park is bleak. But don't try asking for a room type that...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Cara G
Johnny C, General Manager at Berkeley Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Cara, thank you very much for your feedback. As a fellow hotelier, I am sure you agree that negative feedback, as much as it is difficult to hear, is necessary to any operation that is striving to improve itself. As the new Hotel Manager for The Berkeley, I have been tasked with the job of identifying and fixing any issue, large or small, with our service. I feel that we have a great old hotel, with a lot of charm and even more potential, it's my goal to make sure that we realize 100% of our potential.

I can assure you that, that sort of behavior is not unacceptable and I have already spoken to all parties involved and they clearly understand.

Thank you again for your feedback, I truly hope that I have the chance to welcome you back to The Berkeley Oceanfront Hotel

Travelers are raving about these Asbury Park hotels

Berks County, PA
Reviewed October 30, 2013

The Berkeley is close to all attractions in Asbury Park, and right across the street from the boardwalk/beach. It's a fairly snazzy place with a classy bar and restaurant on the first floor, so this place is pricey, especially in season. Rooms are comfortable and modern, though the hallways and doors seem maybe like leftovers from some less-swanky past incarnation of the building. Parking is an issue. If you're staying for a while, try to reserve a spot in their small parking lot. Otherwise, recognize that street parking is more expensive the closer you get to the beach.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the beach are going to be more expensive. Maybe if you request a room near the parking...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed October 29, 2013

We stayed at the Berkley this past weekend and overall had a very pleasant stay. The Berkley has been around since the 1920's and has the air of a grand old hotel on the Ocean during the "hay-days" of Asbury Park. Although quite old it has been recently renovated, although a little more "spiffing up" would go a long way.

At check-in we requested an ocean front room. However, the ocean front rooms were all booked by two large wedding parties that were taking place that weekend. We were given a room on the 6th floor with a partial ocean view along a stretch of the Boardwalk, with a view of the park in-front of the hotel and a view of the glorious old Convention Center on the boardwalk. The room was spacious, clean, well kept and included a sleep sofa along with the very comfortable queen size bed. Fortunately, no one had to sleep on the sofa as it had a decided sag in the middle as one sat on it. In the room was a flat screen TV and a writing desk and easy chair

The bathroom was spacious, the water from the "rain-shower" type shower head was always hot. There were plenty of towels and wash cloths. I especially enjoyed the toiletries which were from C.O. Bigalow, the classic New York pharmacy.

Our only problems during our weekend stay were the HVAC and a non working remote for the TV. This past weekend was chilly and windy. The room was cold and the heat did not seem to want to come on. However, when I went to the front desk to let them know, the woman at the desk was polite and apologetic and sent the house engineer up to the room almost immediately to correct the situation with the heat and the TV remote. Speaking of the front desk, everyone we encountered there was most pleasant and accommodating. Both check-in and check-out were simple and fast.

I understand that the hotel is continuing to update and refurbish and I look forward to return visits to The Berkeley. My only objections were the lack of free wi-fi in the rooms and the charge to park on the open lot directly next to for the exclusive use of the hotel guests.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for you kind words towards our hotel. I do appologize for the few inconveniences you did have, however I can assure you that we are working towards making ourselves better everyday. As you mentioned we are investing in our future; we have rebuilt and put in service a boiler that has not been running for over 10 years, and rebuilt the one one boiler that was working. We will be installing a new cooling tower as to aviod a similar issue in the summer. Our ownership is dedicated to continued investiment and success of The Berkeley and it's my job to work with the staff to ensure that our guests are taken care of.
Thank you again for your comments, I am looking forward to welcoming you back to The Berkeley Oceanfront Hotel.
Asbury Park, New Jersey
Reviewed October 28, 2013

We used Berkeley Oceanfront as the recommended hotel for our wedding guests. While we did not have our wedding on site at Berkeley, we were married in the area and thought this would be a great hotel due to it's iconic history, as well as location and size. My experience dealing with the hotel in regards to setting up and managing our hotel block was terrible. Their director of sales never responded in a timely fashion, it took typically 1 week to get a response to an email or phone call. Their policy on room blocks changed midway through our process, guests experience many issues booking. They use an offsite 3rd party booking service so when you call the hotel to book the room you are actually getting someone in NYC or somewhere and they often had the incorrect information for my guests. They told one guest who was among the first to try to book that our block was closed (not true) and that they only had a room available for $100 over what their own website listed. This was for a Friday night in October when the majority of the hotel was empty! Many other complaints in booking - too many to list here.

Guests arrived to find out parking they paid for was not available, another event was happening until 10pm so they had to find alternate parking until after 10pm when they could move their cars to the Berkeley lot. Rooms were freezing - it was a terribly stormy day in Asbury for our wedding and the hotel told guests heat was "not available" yet - meaning not anywhere in the hotel! Front desk staff was rude, but maid and bellboy staff were very, very nice and helpful.

Guests beware - location is great, main area's of the hotel are beautiful, but they completely and totally lack in customer service.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ajerseygirl732
Thank you very much for your feedback. As the new Hotel Manager for The Berkeley, I have been given the task to help this hotel see it's full potential. I appreciate the kind words as to our decor and the bell and room staff, which shows me that we do have the potential to be great. As you mentioned we have a lot of history, over 90 years to be exact and as a hotel that has withstood, war, storm, and the great depression we have proven to be able to come back each time. I am here to tell you that we are again on that road and I believe that with some hard work on my part and with the feedback I get from our guests, my team and I will achieve our goal.

I truly hope that I get the chance to welcome you back to our hotel sometime soon so that you can experience The Berkeley as it should be.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Asbury Park
The Asbury Hotel
The Asbury Hotel
#1 of 6 in Asbury Park
Empress Hotel
Empress Hotel
#2 of 6 in Asbury Park
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites West Long Branch
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suit...
#1 of 3 in West Long Branch
#3 of 6 in Asbury Park
Point Pleasant Manor
Point Pleasant Manor
#7 of 16 in Point Pleasant Beach

Been to Berkeley Oceanfront Hotel? Share your experiences!