“Very dissappointed”

Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Asbury Park
Swampscott, Massachusetts
“Very dissappointed”
Reviewed August 19, 2013

We had a family get together and had 4 rooms booked. Our room didn't have any hot water or water pressure in the shower. Maintence came to check out the problem and told us the water heater was old and there wasn't anything he could do. We checked out of our room and stayed with our daughters. We found that the safe in the room was unusable and left in the closet from the previous owner of the hotel. On Saturday our room hadn't beeen cleaned at 4:00pm so they sent someone to do the job. My husband was in the room and observed they didn't vacuum or clean the bathroom. Daily we cleaned up dead bugs on the window sill. One of the window panes on the door leading out to the pool was also cracked. For $300.00 plus per night we were expecting clean and comfortable. We were very disappointed and I would not recommend this hotel or ever stay there again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
John S, General Manager at Berkeley Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Good Afternoon Phyllis B,

Your feedback is well-received and clearly we have some significant follow-up to do to improve our guest experience on a consistent basis. Please accept our apology for the lack of hot water and pressure. Rest assure, this was an isolated incident.

On weekends, we do service guest rooms between 9:00am and 5:00pm, so it is not uncommon to be cleaning guestrooms as late as 5:00pm. We do apologize this conflicted with your schedule. I would recommend in the future that you contact the housekeeping department if you have a preferred time of service.

Overall, it is very clear that we failed to meet and/or exceed your expectations and on behalf of the entire hotel, please accept our apology. Exceeding expectations is our ultimate goal as we understand that this creates guest loyalty. In light of your unfortunate experience, we do hope that we receive the opportunity to welcome you back to The Berkeley.

John Sinclair

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
warren, nj
Reviewed August 14, 2013

My husband and I spent the weekend at the Berkekey to celebrate his birthday and our 40th anniversary. We do this every year and have seen much improvement over the past few years. It is not a Four Seasons but a great hotel in a perfect location to enjoy all that Asbury Park has to offer. It is within walking distance to wonderful beaches, restaurants, antique shops and of course the Stone Pony and Wonder Bar. We park our car (10$ a day on the street in front of the hotel) and do not move it until we leave. The front desk staff was pleasant and very helpful. Our room was clean (a few bugs on the windowsill) and comfortable. It was a bit noisy because it was a suite and all suites are directly across from the elevators. We knew this when we booked so there were no surprises. The water pressure in the shower did fluctuate and there were extension cords running along the floor which could be a tripping hazard. We were disappointed that the pool no longer serves food and we had to go inside on a beautiful day for lunch, although the bartender at the restaurant on Saturday afternoon was wonderful. They do have towels at the pool now but should have better security. It seems that many people come in off the street to use the pool and are not hotel guests. All in all, it was a fun weekend (some things you just have to laugh at!) and we will be back next year.

Room Tip: All suites are across from elevators and can be noisy
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Good Afternoon momme425,

Thnak you for your great feedback! While we reocgnize that we are not a Four Seasons, we do our best day in and day out to meet and hopefully exceed the expectations of our guests. We're so glad to hear that you had a great time celebrtating your special occasions.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Berkeley when your travels bring you back to Asbury Park.

Yonkers, New York, United States
Reviewed August 13, 2013

I should have read the reviews before we spent $225 a night! Hotel was dirty, staff was unprofessional (the parking attendants smoked as they were waiting to pick up your cars). Not to mention when we brought the car back, several times, the valet told us there wasn't enough room in the lot for our cars!! Did I mention the neighborhood was terrible? Walking distance to nothing! The pool is unsecure so whoever wants to go there can, nobody is checking! Lobby, hotel rooms, elevators, hallways all completely filthy!!! Dogs barking, kids completely intoxicated roaming the halls, not what I expect for $225 per night. It should be noted that I have never written a review in my life, but my experience was so bad that I felt compelled to share so that others didn't waste their money like I wasted mine.

2 Thank Kelley H
Hello Kelley H,

Please accept our sincere apology for your very poor experience. I will certainly be following up with our parking department about their unacceptable behavior. We clearly should be demonstrating a much more professional image in our environment.

Summer weekends at The Berkeley certainly do get very busy and with the colume of people we do have on property, we do our best to maintain cleanliness standards. We apologize that this fell far below your expectations as well.

Our goal is to provide a high level of service to all of our guests, and although this clearly was not acheived with your experience, we do hope that you do give us another opportunity to demonstrate what we're capable of.

Kind Regards,

Travelers are raving about these Asbury Park hotels

Tarrytown, New York
Reviewed August 13, 2013

i pulled up on Sunday around 3:30 and thought i was valeting my car. I was told if i was not going to the wedding they were not valeting. I have an toddler (which means i come with a lot of stuff) so i unpacked and tried to check in. the line was out the door. Apparently there was a wedding the night before and people did not check out on time, which meant that housekeeping was delayed and rooms were not ready at 3:45 when i arrived. there was another wedding so obviously this did not go over well with many guests who needed to get ready. Lady that checked me in was very pleasent and was able to give me a room (not the room i reserved, but still a room since i had unpacked my car). i was then told parking was full so i would have to try find street parking. well, i drove around for about 1/2 hour before i finally found a spot (there was a show at the Sone Pony). i then went back and asked when parking would be availbe and was told by manger he can park the car now. I told him i was going to dinner and if he can guarantee a spot i would come back later. I came back after dinner and got someone else who told me that he could not give me a spot because there was a accident in the parking lot!!! i have to say the staff for the most part under the circumstances were very nice, after all it was not their fault. Oh, one last thing was the shower - it was horrible - it went from full power to a drip, then it would go back to full power then back to a drip. I would probably return to give it another try, but would expect it to be a lot better if there was no wedding. Oh, breakfast is not serve on Monday so you have to travel a few miles to eat so bring snacks!

3 Thank ghughes75
John S, General Manager at Berkeley Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Good Afternoon ghughes75,

Please accept our sincere apology for falling considerably below your expectations. Unfortunately, operational challenges are presented to us from time to time and the guest experience can be impacted. We do not wish upon any guest to wait in line to check in, not able to park etc.. but there are circumstances that are somewhat out of our control.

As it relates to the shower pressure in your guest room, that is completely unacceptable and again, I apologize for that.

WIth mixed feelings, I am glad to hear that the associates you interacted with were nice and professional. We are glad that you will return to The Berkeley during your next trip to Asbury Park and until then; we look forward to your arrival!

All the best.

New York City, New York
Reviewed August 12, 2013

This hotel has the worst staff.Very very unprofessional,don't understand what customer service is,don't know how to speak to their guests.They start to knock on doors at 930 AM.Room was poor,pillows,mattresses were horrible could not sleep for one full hour.Shower was dirty,grout was dirty.While we checked out at 11AM,my family asked the manager to give us a little time to take care of my daughter who was sick over night and throwing up,but the manager said more than one time that he does not care and if we don't leave the room,we will be charged for the full day and they did.My daughter is 12 years old and that was the worst experience. There was no security at the front or back doors.Anyone could come in not knowing whether he or she was a guest.we were about 15 families and have kids and teens. Not to mention people smoke weed all over the hotel, throwing up in bathrooms.Bottles of beer,wine were everywhere.You'll be making a huge mistake if you plan to go near there.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Mohamed H
Eastchester, New York, United States
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Stayed at Berkley for one night to see a show at stone pony. Great rooms. Very clean. Right on boardwalk. Convenient to all. Good for families or couples. front desk was great. Walking distance to all. Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank StacyAnn401
Good Afternoon StacyAnn401,

Thank you so much for sharing your positive experience at The Berkeley! We appreciate you posting this great review and we hope we have another opportunity to welcome you to The Berkeley!

Rahway, New Jersey
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We stayed at the Berkeley in July for one night. We booked our room through a Travelzoo campaign. We bought a voucher for Ocean view King Room and made a reservation right away.

When we got to the hotel, during check in, the front desk staff informed us that we were not getting the room which we reserved because the hotel is overbooked. Now, I had made my reservation back in May because those were the voucher details. We needed to book our room way in advance, so for them to tell me that they did not have the room was out of the question. They said it was because too many vouchers were purchased...and this was happening to three other guests checking in. Like how that was supposed to make us feel better???? It was just bunch of excuses. And they did not help us in anyway and we were stuck with 2 double beds. The front desk staff just shrugged their shoulders and said, here you go and gave us our keys. Granted that we used our voucher to book, so I wasn't expecting a discount but a complimentary something would have been nice to make up for it. We were expecting a king ocean view deluxe room.

The room was nothing to write home about. Bathroom was moldy, small and there was no real ventilation so it smelled disgusting. It’s that moldy and rusting smell. The wallpaper in the room was peeling in areas and the rug had stains in many locations. The couch in our 'living room' area was over used, the cushions sank and smelly.

I would have been so upset if I paid full price for the room, which I think on the weekends during high season are generally in the upper $200 and $300.

The one thing that's going for this hotel is its location and the close proximity to the beach.
I will not be staying at the Berkeley even if I buy another Travelzoo voucher for cheap.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Katy K
Good Afternoon Katy K,

I would like to truly apologize that we fell far below your expectations on many levels during your recent stay with us. From not being able to fulfill your guaranteed room type to the response of the front desk associates to the lack of maintenance and cleanliness of your guest room; these are all unacceptable and should be managed far more effectively on a preventive and proactive basis.

Please contact me at jsinclair@amsterdamhospitality.com as I would like to discuss your experience in person.

Thank you for your feedback, we truly appreciate it.

All the best,

Bungalow Hotel
Bungalow Hotel
#2 of 4 in Long Branch
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites West Long Branch
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suit...
#1 of 3 in West Long Branch
Point Pleasant Manor
Point Pleasant Manor
#6 of 16 in Point Pleasant Beach

Been to Berkeley Oceanfront Hotel? Share your experiences!