“Complete failure”

Berkeley Oceanfront Hotel
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Asbury Park
“Complete failure”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

This hotel has the worst staff. Very very rude employees at the front desk that do not want to help at all and do not know how to speak to a customer properly. I explained to the employee at the desk that I was told about a reduced rate over the phone and his reply was "how do I know you're not lying". Check out is at 11 AM and hotel staff knocked on our door at 930 AM telling us to check out which has never happened to me at any hotel. I found a huge cockroach in the main lobby. The windows in the room are very dirty. The metal part of the iron in my room was broken and ruined my clothes. The main bathroom downstairs is disgustingly dirty, broken beer bottles and glass on the floor, some toilets out of order. The drain in my bathtub was not working. You have to pay for parking $21 per day which is ridiculous and wifi is not free. For rooms at this price, this hotel has nothing to offer..no microwave, no mini fridge. Even the morning coffee that they offer is only available for a very brief amount of time. I will NOT be returning to the Berkley; disappointment is an understatement.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Tripadvisee320
John S, General Manager at Berkeley Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Good Afternoon Tripadvisee320,

First and foremost, please allow me to apologize for the numerous issues you had with your experience at The Berkeley. It is evident that we have some major follow-up to do on our end. To be spoken to the way that you were is incredibly unacceptable, while we cannot always accommodate every guest expectation, there certainly is a professional way that our guests should be spoken to.

I was very surprised to hear of the many cleanliness and maintenance challenges you experienced. Please be assured that the Housekeeping and Engineering teams have been informed of your comments and are working much diligently to proactively address concerns such as yours. I am sorry you were subject the numerous challenges.

If I do have the opportunity to have you back as a guest, I do have an offer for you. Please contact me at jsinclair@amsterdamhospitality.com, if you wish.

In closing, allow me to apologize again for falling far below your expectations, although weekends can get very busy at The Berkeley, that should not impact the overall experience for our guests.

John Sinclair

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (256)
Staten Island, New York
Reviewed August 11, 2013

If you are subject to any type of discrimination, steer clear of this hotel. This is a hotel that has received numerous complaints in the past for this obscene type of behavior. I will give it five stars for its location to the beach because I am honest and understand that when traveling with family it is always good to keep proximity in mind. However, the number of things that could have possibly went wrong on this trip have went wrong. I will keep it short and to the point.

1) They knocked on our doors at 9:30am before checkout time at 11:00am to hurry us into checking out and leaving.
2) They (staff) gave us dirty looks, cursed behind our backs when they thought nobody was listening.
3) There is a bar that is part of the lobby area and when it is busy drunk people roam the lobby area and started harassing us and our children. The hotel has no policies in place to protect guests from these types of incidents.

This is a brief review but you all get the point. There were many other things that went wrong but these should be enough for you to make your decision when planning your trip to asbury park.

1 Thank mohamed91
Good Afternoon Mohamed91,

Thank you for your recent and honest feedback regarding your Berkeley experience. Rest assure that any level of cursing amongst the associates and/or "dirty looks" is strictly prohibited and unacceptable. If you would be willing to provide me with some further details about your name, stay dates etc.. I will most certainly follow up personally.

Many of our guests do depart early in the morning, and I am sure the Room Attendant had no intention of hurrying you to check out. She is simply doing her best to service the guest rooms as quickly as possible and to prepare for the next arriving guest. They unfortunately do not see every guest in their assigned section come and go, so do need to knock on doors from time to time.

Lastly, I do apologize of your children were harassed in anyway, we do have security on-site during the late night hours to specifically deal with situations such as what you experienced. Sorry they were not notified or activated to handle your unfortunate incident.

We do hope we have the opportunity to demonstrate what The Berkeley truly has to offer. If you would be kind enough to email me at jsinclair@amsterdamhospitality.com, I would appreciate futher details.

Travelers are raving about these Asbury Park hotels

New York City, New York
Reviewed August 11, 2013

It is the worst experience I ever had in staying in hotel, the front desk was very rude and there is no cleaning for the room ... I called them up to get towels for he bathroom but they didn't send anything.. i checked in at 5 pm but the room was not ready till 6 pm and when I checked out at 11 am but still charging you extra money for overstaying ..also a lot a drunk people wondering in the hotel elevator and the hole way ...you could find remaining of food sticking to the carpet in the room and in the hotel reception area...

Room Tip: Try different and better hotel...I don't recommended
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
John S, General Manager at Berkeley Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Hello Meladma,

I was shocked to read your comments earlier today about your recent experience at The Berkeley Hotel. Please accept my sincere apology on behalf of the entire staff, here at The Berkeley.

Your feedback is well-received and it will be discussed immediately with the operations team here at the hotel. Clearly, we have some processes that need to be fixed in the imminent future. As it relates to the room readiness, I am truly sorry it took so long for you to get possession of your room. The property can get very busy during the high season and occassionally, we cannot accommodate everyone with their 3:00pm, guaranteed check-in time. A variety of operational reasons contribute to this, however, we should have the decency to at least inform you of the delay with your room and the towels.

Please also accept my apology for seeing food in the carpet in a couple of areas of the hotel. Our housekeeping department is committed to high cleaning standards, nonetheless, we appreciate the feedback and this will be communicated to them as well.

In closing, we never enjoy reading about negative guest experiences, but it ultimately assists us in improving the operation and that is what I would like to thank you for. Little consolation, I know, but it is helpful and I again would like to apologize for the unfortunate experience.

SI, NY
Reviewed August 11, 2013

It is really bad, either they close it or fire everyone and hire new people with different attitude.
We will file a big complaint with many other guests.
From the time of reservation till the check out, the whole thing was a huge mess. Very bad attitude from all the hotel managers, sales, employees. Cursing guests, asking money under the table, etc.
The hotel is not safe and secured, we got the feeling that all these happened in a purpose to bring the business down abd hurt whoever the owner. I will let it go and we will have a complaint all over in addition to the law suite to curse our ladies and the kids.
My advice is to stay away if you love your party and your family.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank MoeKh
Hello MoeKh,

Incredibly sorry to hear about your experience and please allow me to apologize for all aspects of your stay at The Berkeley. Your feedback is well-received and will be used to coach, counsel and most importantly re-train the associates. Our ultimate goal is to make every guest experience a positive one, and clearly this was not the case based on your feedback.

I would love the opprotunity for you to return for a night at our expense. I would truly like you to experience what The Berkeley has to offer. Please contact me at jsinclair@amsterdam hospitality.com and I would be happy to arrange this for you.

Staten Island, New York
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Bad experience, bad customer service. rude manager. They will charge for every thing starting from parking, WiFi, fridge.
No shower by outdoor pool, no indoor pool. room TV is very bad. toilet sink is too small

1 Thank mo r
Hello mo-rezk,

I am incredibly sorry to hear of your unacceptable experience at The Berkeley recently. Would you be so kind to share the details of your bad experience, customer service and rude manager?

Your feedback about the TV is well received and we are working with our cable television provider to improve the picture quality.

As it relates to the swimming pool arrangement, we are very much a seasonal hotel and the majority of our demand is from May - October. During these times, guests much prefer to be outside and enjoying the nice weather that the Jersey Shore and tri-state area provides. This is the reason behind having an outdoor pool versus an indoor pool. If we had the option to provide an indoor option for our guests as well, I agree, this would be great.

Thank you for your suggestion of having a shower by the pool, and the size of the bathroom sink, these are items that will be highly considered when the time comes for capital improvements of our guest rooms and public space.

In closing, your feedback is well-received and I would appreciate hearing more about the details of your experience. It is never pleasant to be spending your well earned income and the experience falls well below your expectations. I can be reached at jsinclair@amsterdamhospitality.com and I look forward to hearing from you.

New York City, New York
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Upon arrival we were given an upgrade to an ocean view. We were happy with the change, specially since it was a rainy weekday and little hope for spending the afternoon at the beach. We enjoyed our stay at the hotel. Disappointed that the room lacked a refrigerator and was a little bit crammed for such a large headboard. I imagined the room would be bigger prior to arrival. I also was disappointed not to get an information guide of the area with listings of nearby attractions and local restaurants. We did enjoy the pool and the ambiance of the hotel. I would visit again. The price was perfect.

Room Tip: Go with a prior reservation, as for an upgrade at checking.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Steven G, General Manager at Berkeley Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Good Afternoon Yomi40,

Thank you very much for your recent feedback on TripAdvisor. It is always a pleasure to receive both positive and constructive feedback about guest experiences.

We are sorry the size of the room may have been misleading and that we do not provide refrigerators in the room. Please know that all guest feedback is considered when making long-term decisions for property improvments.

Your concern about not providing the guests will a local area map and attractions is well-received and we will look to implement a process to fulfill this moving forward!

In closing, we are happy that your experience was a positive one and hope that The Berkeley is your 1st choice when visiting Asbury Park in the future. Thanks again for the feedback, we truly appreciate it!

rochester ny
Reviewed August 7, 2013

This hotel was right across the street from the boardwalk and ocean, which is why we chose it. We had an ocean view room and I appreciated being able to open the windows, let in some fresh air, and hear the waves. There were two large windows with two smaller ones on each side of them - unfortunately only one of the large windows had a screen in it. Parking and internet are not free here, so be prepared for that. Our room was nice, except for a loud clunking sound when the a/c unit went off and on. As a light sleeper, that was pretty rough. The bathroom is all in one and the shower has a partial glass wall and no curtain, so if you need to share the space there is no privacy. Housekeeping was very friendly and accommodating, but the front desk seemed understaffed as there was always a wait and at times they weren't able to answer the phone.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Good Afternoon mykidsm0m,

Thank you so much for your recent stay at The Berkeley and for the great feedback you so kindly provided. We appreciate your fair feedback with both positive and constructive comments.

We continuously address the challenges of the physical maintenance of the property and scrutinize staffing levels to ensure we have appropriate coverage in all areas. On weekends and in peak-season, the front desk can occasionally get a little over-whelmed with incoming phone calls and guests checking in, simultaneously.

We sincerely hope The Berkeley is in your travel plans the next time you visit the Jersey Shore, so we can welcome you back!

Thank you and all the best.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Asbury Park
The Asbury Hotel
The Asbury Hotel
#1 of 6 in Asbury Park
Empress Hotel
Empress Hotel
#2 of 6 in Asbury Park
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites West Long Branch
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suit...
#1 of 3 in West Long Branch
Bungalow Hotel
Bungalow Hotel
#2 of 4 in Long Branch
Hotel Tides
Hotel Tides
#3 of 6 in Asbury Park
Hampton Inn Neptune/Wall

Been to Berkeley Oceanfront Hotel? Share your experiences!