“Pleasantly surprised.”

Berkeley Oceanfront Hotel
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Asbury Park
Reviewed July 20, 2013

My first time visiting Asbury Park. By some of the reviews I read I wasn't sure what I was walking into but I thought the hotel was very nice. My room had a partial ocean view was clean and comfortable. Location is excellent. Was able to check into my room at noon. The hotel is showing it's age a little but for the price it's really nice. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (2,723)

Reviewed July 17, 2013

We spent the last 3 days at this hotel and i must say i was impressed and disappointed at the same time with this hotel - at first glance - you ll be taken back by the scenery and the rooms when you go in - but that fades away pretty quickly -
It seems that they tried to do a boutique hotel but there was not a real good architect and contractor to oversee the details - our room was clean and modern to a point but there a lot of flaws such as the shower with half glass door which when you take a shower gets most of the water out than in the tub - the walls on the bathroom are well thought of but execution feels like a beginner home improvement kind of person -
the pool looked clean and the tiki bar areas were pretty cute- advice - bring a heavy type of mosquito repellent cause the flys are vicious - i just didnt get bitten it felt like every sting went deep into my skin - besides that the pool was pretty good
parking seems to be an issue - maybe they should really discuss with the town about the parking arrangements -try the self parking daily but you cant move your car - or pay the 20 bucks for the hotel if they have space and you ll be able to move in and out .
Now staff - the staff at most parts are very nice and receptive - however, on my sunday stay - the front desk are clueless - they have no idea where to recommend restaurants , attractions or anything for that matter - better to google search you ll find more info - really need to work on getting a concierge of some kind to guide hotel guests
the other days - the front desk seems to be knowleadgeable and helps but for some reason on that sunday it was like asking the wall for directions

this hotel has a great potential to be something else - but they need to explore and work on many details - for the price it was - i can say it was very worth it but its like that saying - you ll pay what you get for - dont expect 5 star service or 4 or 3 star service

FYI - when you have the valets for weddings - it would be a word of advice to teach them proper manners and not just lay on the ground like they are at an outdoor concert and all their food and water bottles thrown on the floor around them - they didnt even bother to get up to answer a question one of the hotel guests had - that in my opinion shows the lack of control the management had on a 3rd party service

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Marcello C
Reviewed July 17, 2013 via mobile

This place is just weird. You arrive and are greeted by no valet or signs. Instead you have to self park in this gravel lot behind the hotel and walk all the way around to the front--there is no back door. The outside looks dilapidated. I honestly considered bailing. But the inside is actually quite nice and renovated. Strangely, internet is $10 and you cannot charge it to your room (a pain for anyone on an expense account). Nice views of the ocean and boardwalk.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Chicago_aww
Reviewed July 16, 2013

This was my second time staying here. It was just a weekend with friends but enjoyed the stay. Room was big with 2 beds and a couch, bathroom was tiny and had no where to hang anything. Had a few issues with key cards not working (same as last year) but staff was friendly and helpful. I don't understand why they charge for internet when everywhere else offers it free. Parking was not an issue this time as my friend had a handicap tag and could park free.

Room Tip: I found that we got a better rate by contacting them directly than what we got from online booking s...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 16, 2013

I will bullet-point this and make it short and (not so) sweet.
* Check in took 30 minutes; the clerk was answering the phone and engaging in conversation with another employee. Sighed and said to me "I shouldn't have come to work today."
* Had to self park in a gravel lot behind the building, poorly lit, for $20 per day.
* Finally got to the room and neither key worked. Their solution was to move me to a completely different floor. I had to transport everything myself.
*The ice machine didn't work, and I had to go in search of another - 10 minutes on another floor. GRRR.
* The bathroom features walls that aren't tile - it looks like pergo flooring. With MOLD in between - see the pic. There goes using the bath tub. If the mold isn't being removed, is anything being cleaned?
* You are requested to help by reusing your towels and hanging them up. WHERE? See the pic - one tiny towel bar that nothing else will fit on and you can't hang anything over a shower rod - there isn't one!
* Killed a ROACH in the bathroom upon my departure. Had I seen that earlier I would have checked out. GROSS.

I really wanted to love this place and I want to support Asbury's revitalization. Sadly, this place appears to be struggling financially and if they don't address these issues they will be out of business.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 15, 2013

I don't stay here often. Maybe once or twice a year. This was my first summer stay. We arrived around 2 pm. Our room was ready so an early check in was allowed. We asked bout the raking lot. We are told it s now valet only and 20 bucks a night. Ok. Still cheaper than the hourly meters and having to get up early to feed them. Then the elevators! Oh my! Saturday afternoon and oly one elevator in service. We patiently waited with all our gear. Too far to walk up to 5th floor with luggage. By the time the elevator arrived, it was like pandemonium. No respect for those standing there waiting. Welcome to the Jersey Shore

The room was quite large with 2 beds and a pull out couch. Tastefully decorated. Nice o look at. Large windows that allowed perfect views of the ocean. Everything w great during the day. That night when we returned from the Wonder Bar, there were some type of insects all up in the shade or the floor lamp and crawling up the wall. Don't know what they were ; just that they had long white wings. There were all what appeared to be ants in that corner as well.

I wasn't aware there was a pool. We saw it out of the window. So we decided to go to the pool. We weren't there 10 minutes when the pool was closed for cleaning, vacuuming, skimming and shocking. This was about 2 or so in the afternoon. We were allowed to remain in the pool area. So we decided to have a drink at the Tiki Bar. Absolutely terrible drinks ; stick with beer.

The Berk is one of the only towels in Asbury Park. Hey have absolutely spent a ton of money renovating, making it pretty and trying to return her to the grandeur she once had I'm not sure where it goes wrong. Great location. Large rooms. Nice bar off lobby area and I hear folks saying the restaurant is good. But they seem to lack he correct kind of personnel that is connected to the kind of hotel they are trying to be. Argumentative valets, desk clerks that crack gum and could give a damn less about helping you. The place in general gives off a bad vibe. But without more to choose from you just grin and bare it and hope it eventually will turn into a great place that you would actually want to stay in

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 15, 2013

In reading the Trip Advisor reviews, I wasn't expecting the very good service I received at the Berkeley. It is not a new hotel, so if that is what you are looking for, then stay elsewhere. The location across from the North Beach is ideal for a quieter beach experience than most of the Jersey Shore. The partying that went on was a bit loud, but the noise ended at a reasonable time. Overall, my stay was fine.

• Stayed: July 2013
Homewood Suites by Hilton Eatontown
Bungalow Hotel
Bungalow Hotel
#2 of 4 in Long Branch

Been to Berkeley Oceanfront Hotel? Share your experiences!