“Worried about previous reviews, but I found the staff helpful and considerate.”

Berkeley Oceanfront Hotel
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Asbury Park
Reviewed July 15, 2013

In reading the Trip Advisor reviews, I wasn't expecting the very good service I received at the Berkeley. It is not a new hotel, so if that is what you are looking for, then stay elsewhere. The location across from the North Beach is ideal for a quieter beach experience than most of the Jersey Shore. The partying that went on was a bit loud, but the noise ended at a reasonable time. Overall, my stay was fine.

• Stayed: July 2013

Reviewed July 15, 2013

Picture and description on web, MISLEADING!! Got into town early. Large, blonde receptionist
unhelpful and cold. 200 dollars a night, no beach passes, asked for parking,"we're full" was the short answer given/no alternative or apology was offered. Asked to use facilities after our 2.5 hour drive. Upon opening the door we were greeted by pizza crusts, tampons, tissue everywhere unflushed toilets and smeared mirrors. Looks like a mission in a 3rd world country. We did not stay. I later learned that Sublime played the evening before, so we understood the trash problem, RUDENESS WAS THE BIG ISSUE, no customer service skills. Fire large blond woman, please. Tried to give Asbury Park the business after seeing a documentary, a lot of work needs to be done here. Their little downtown looks like it's making a comeback however.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 15, 2013

A Sisters Girls weekend Down the shore, First Time in Asbury not down the jersey shore....
(two married- one with kids, and one single)

Here Goes, so we get in. Nice place over all, rooms were very clean at least the ones we were in, that was a plus on our end. (If you'd saw where they keep the linens and stuff, it looks like run down motel, you'd been turned off, I happened to stumble on it looking for the ice machine.) The Place looks likes the pictures on the web, but the hotel on the outside looks like a dormitory building or maybe even a jail, but Not a Hotel at least NOT a three Star. Only two elevators, which is used by everyone including porters, etc. For the size of this hotel, it doesn't make any sense.

Calling the front desk and reaching someone, was like impossible, Room Service- WHAT ROOM SERVICE, there isn't one. No menus in the room, when asked to bring one up, it never shows up. We requested if we can barrow wine bottle opener, we never got one, we ended up improvising with and old trick by push cork inside bottle, and Voila, which we drank from plastic cups, how getto. They don't even provide any proper glasses. NOR will you see a a Coffee Machine, or a Fridge which they will charge you for. ( This I read in a previous reviews, prior to going and it was true.) Who needs room service, not us. Again, THIS IS NOT WHAT YOU CALL THREE STARS.

Ice machine?? where to locate it, was a maze, and frustrating only latter to find out they only have one on two floors.

Positive Note (ALL OUTSIDE OF THE HOTEL, HAHA): very close to the clean beach, if you have never gone to jersey beaches there are entrance fees,please note, the shops along boardwalk are the nicest I had even gone to, as nice as long branch.

My favorite was this home accent store called Robert Legere Design Beach, and Carla Gizzi in the Convention Hall on Ocean Ave. The Great looking bar/lounge called "Watermark", we didn't get a chance to go but looked great. The restaurant we ate at was called "Stella Marina", recommended by cab driver was excellent. Everything we order was so Delish. Will review this with pics. There was a restaurant in the hotel, the ambiance looked tropical/marina, nice, however we didn't get to try it, as we were only there for One night.

BOARDWALK FOOD: Best ever boardwalk, Funnel cake. I will look forward to eating this again when I go, also there was a place who have fries in Cone, AWESOME, The first time I couldn't find them and but when we were leaving I got a taste, Yum. My sister also tried the Korean Tacos, They said they were pretty good, I was indifferent.

Things to Know: $1 shuttle, to and from train station to the boardwalk v's a cab ride

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Caprice164
Reviewed July 15, 2013

We stayed at the Berkeley for a family function as it was one of the few options near the beach and at @ $200 a room, was less expensive than others. It also offered the ability to have a location for 2 of the family functions that we had.
The location was great - just across the street from the beach and within walking distance of shops, restaurants and activities. The hotel lobby was a nice gathering place and the rooms and facilities just average.
We arrived around 1:30 PM on a Friday and only a few of the groups rooms were ready. They also made mistakes on several reservations which had to be corrected. We went out to lunch while we were waiting - the hotel has a restaurant, but it was not open for either breakfast or lunch which was seemed a bit strange. When we came back at 3:30 to check in, there were still several rooms that were not ready and it was 4:30 PM by the time we got our rooms. The rooms were clean, but simple - fine for a place to sleep. We paid the extra $25 to get 1 refrigerator. Our group was scattered on different floors, and most of us had complaints about the noise and parties going on through the early morning hours. We turned our AC fan to high to try to drown it out the second night. On the second day of our stay, neither of our key cards worked to get into our room and the had to be reactivated, which was annoying and set us back as we were on a tight schedule to set up for an evening function. Getting the cars from valet was crazy many times and it was easier to get the cars ourselves - the valet guys were really nice about it. We had reserved part of the restaurant for a group dinner and breakfast. The room was great - perfect for our group. The food was delicious, well presented and plentiful and our servers did a great job of taking care of the group. It is a shame that the restaurant is not open for guests as a lunch or dinner option.

Room Tip: If We were to go again, I would choose a room on a lower floor to avoid the wait for the elevator
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 12, 2013

Asbury park is a fun and freaky town. The people are friendly and the town is just bizarre and we loved it! The Berkeley is great. Rooms were clean and comfortable. The pool was nice to have and somewhat retro feeling. The bar had a good band playing on a Thursday night. Good place to stay in Asbury. I have travelled all over the world and stayed in hundreds of places. The Berkeley is good trust me.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 12, 2013

Well, I read all of the reviews on here and booked anyway because: it seemed a bit more family-friendly with less of an emphasis on same-sex raucous pool parties than the Empress. And the pictures made it look new, modern and fresh. Well, hmm. The place is definitely not FRESH. It is MUSTY. It is DAMP. You bathing suit won't dry overnight unless you turn the heat lamp on the the bath and leave your stuff there. Shower would come on, be decent and then, without warning, slow to a trickle. Then, all of a sudden, SWOOSH.
They had nice high end soaps and shampoos. The place has been redecorated with modern flair, though the pea green walls in the corridors did not do much for me.
There are no coffee pots in rooms (major bummer) but free morning coffee downstairs.
We were there visiting family in Ocean Grove. I had trouble nailing down a rental for only 5 days and some B&B's in Ocean Grove don't want young kids. Plus Berkeley had the pool and short walk to the Boardwalk which featured an awesome splash park for days. My kid had fun. The pool was COLD by my standards, but overall the pool area was nice, although not resort quality. My lungs didn't appreciate the musty dampness of the place and I got bronchitis. The staff were all super nice and accommodating. I expect that they know they are working in a "problem property" and they do their best. As soon as you left your room, housekeeping was right on freshening the rooms. This rescued the review from 2 star-dom. Next year, I will stay a week and rent a house in Ocean Grove. Can't actually recommend you stay here unless it's just for a night or two.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 10, 2013

In town for a friend's wedding. The experience started with a reservations "department" that was clueless. In fact, they screwed up every element of our reservation: first name, last name, email, street address, etc. - the gal at the front desk had to really wade through that mess to figure things out (kudos to her).

Buckle up, folks:

The lobby was hot and humid, and very dimly lit.

Valet parking our car for the night was $20 plus tip to stick it in a vacant sandlot across the street. Are you ****ing me?

Our room's door lock battery was dead, so maintenance had to replaced it. We lucked out as a maintenance guy was walking past as we were trying to get in; he returned in about ten minutes with a battery after letting us in the room.

A leather strap on the dresser was broken (it served as the handle). Weird room decor - chic '50s??

The hot water had so much air in the system when we showered in the morning we had to wait several minutes for the water to actually start coming out, and when it did, the pressure varied from nothing to meager.

The toilet paper was so far from the toilet it required either VERY long arms or getting off the can while puckering up. Fortunately, after the first time, we learned to load up on TP before unloading. Idiotic design/layout that extended to the location of the light switch - behind the door.

Peeling paint in the dimly-lit hallways. Creaky-as-hell elevators. Maybe the zombies like it (annual zombie parade in October - really), but very unimpressive.

The wedding itself went really well - all on the mezzanine floor and catered by a 3rd party (i.e., not the hotel). Hrmmm....do the math.

Post-nuptial celebration was at the in-house bar (Dauphin Grille) and featured one of the worst bands we had ever heard, and it was so hot the lead singer was in a red banana hammock. I'm dead serious.

The ONLY reasons it gets two "stars" instead of one are: (1) good location, and (2) friendly staff. Considering the rate ($225 with all the taxes, parking, etc.), the value just isn't there. I think it's owned by a large company, and perhaps therein lies the problem. If I did it again, I'd find a nice B&B in the area or just go home, an hour away. Boo-hiss!

Room Tip: Some rooms have an ocean view - ask for one and hope their outsourced reservations gets it right. Re...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
#2 of 4 in Long Branch
Hotel Tides
Hotel Tides
#4 of 6 in Asbury Park

Been to Berkeley Oceanfront Hotel? Share your experiences!