“A great night”

Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Asbury Park
Asbury Park, NJ
“A great night”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2008

We went to the Mayor's ball at the Berkeley and decided to check in rather than drive home. The hotel has been totally remodeled. We didn't have any reservations and it was late, but the front desk was polite and helpful. We were given a very nice room for only $100. The room was decorated nicely in a minimalist style. The bed was very comfortable. I love the new style of the bathrooms. We live nearby, but would probably choose to stay again if we are at another event there. I definitely have been recommending it to friends coming to visit. It's right across from the beach and walking distance to some great restaurants. A definite value and very pretty too.

• Liked — Close to the beach, comfortable room
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
NY
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2008

The room i was put didn't have Water in the sink (No Pipe!!) the heater was broken, AND the window was stuck open. I only realized this when i returned to my freezing room late at night, and my kids wouldn't be able to handle the room change i was offered. I know the hotel was just redone and the room was nice but never expected a problem like this. The desk was ready to help but was very unapologizing about it, And the night manager didn't really seem to know what was going on.

• Liked — New Rooms Big Beds Fold out Couches
  • Disliked — Service
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Asbury Park hotels

Vermont
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2008

I was in NYC from Vermont for work , and decided to get away to the Jersey shore after meetings on Friday.Friday night I stayed at a motel in Asbury Park which was not quite up to my expectations, so when a local suggested that I try the newly renovated Berkeley, I drove over. I had stayed there before the renovation, in 2004, and although the location on the ocean was fabulous, it was a bit frayed around the edges at that time, and lacking in some basic amenities, so I looked forward to the improvements.
I was greeted at the front door by a gentleman who inquired if I was checking in. I told him that I would like to check the rates with the front desk, and also eat breakfast in the restaurant , and he frowned. I was taken off guard when I was told in a rather abrupt manner, that if I did not already have a reservation "You cannot be on the premises , because we are renovating."( I recently stayed in an Omni which was undergoing major renovations - nail guns reporting, and tarps everywhere - and they bent over backwards to make up for it.) If the hotel was booked up, I might expect " I'm sorry sir, we're full, however , please feel free to dine with us," or if not, perhaps " You are welcome to check with the front desk on room availability and rates," etc. But why would one act unwelcoming towards potential guests because they were renovating? Or for ANY reason?
To top it off, when I walked over to the front desk, he called out " Hey, where are you going ? " I found this treatment to be unprofessional, unsophisticated, and just a bit rude - and a bit odd for a hotel which was obviously spending a lot of money to attract guests.I was even more disappointed when informed by the desk staff that the gentleman manning the door was the general manager.
The rate quoted from the front desk was a very reasonable $99 ( off season) , the location great ,and the new decor was attractive. However, I decided to walk after this encounter, as I don't spend money where I'm not treated courteously.

Stayed February 2008
1 Thank rick33
New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2008

Having a weekend commitment in nearby Long Branch led me to this newly refurbished hotel.

All I knew about Asbury was that Sprinsteen was from there.

The hotel sits right on the boardwalk with great views of the Atlantic Ocean.

All I knew was the information I found online, and was pleasantly surprised by the "Beachy" feel of the lobby.

Apparently there are new owners who undertook a renovation of every room and common area of the hotel, and I believe they did a great job.

The staff was excellent as they helped at check-in and any room requests.

The room I was given faced the ocean and had one of the most comfortable King-Size beds I have had in a hotel in a long time. The room colors are great and give the hotel and even more open airy 'Beachy' feel.

Apparently there is an outdoor pool with cabanas, and a restaurant that is opening soon.

I would definately reccommend this hotel to anyone for the summer or just a weekend getaway.

PS. I took a look at the ballrooms they have and WOW. I'm sure they have had some parties there.

• Stayed January 2008
San francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2008

I found The Berkely Hotel was everything I wanted for my stay. The decor is trendy and clean, the room was huge and the furniture and art work I was impresed with. The staff were friendly and the location is amazing. Close to everywhere I needed to be and I imagine its even nicer when the hotel is full, so I plan on being back in the summer. A good place to stay.

Stayed January 2008
Bungalow Hotel
Bungalow Hotel
#2 of 4 in Long Branch
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites West Long Branch
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suit...
#1 of 3 in West Long Branch
Point Pleasant Manor
Point Pleasant Manor
#6 of 16 in Point Pleasant Beach

Been to Berkeley Oceanfront Hotel? Share your experiences!