“VERY ORIGINAL, UNCHAINLIKE”

Berkeley Oceanfront Hotel
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Asbury Park
Reviewed May 26, 2011

I stayed at the Berkeley this past Saturday the 21st. It was my first time to Asbury Park and i enjoyed it a lot. the hotel itself is a very old building (i asked them how old they said it was built in 1926) but still had modern ammenities. check in was quick and easy. on the way up to the room we rode a brand new elevator and on the way down we rode what appeared to be an older one. we asked the desk about this, they said they just installed on brand new elevator and is in the process of installing another. we stayed in a a king deluxe room and it was awesome, spacious with high cielings-very clean- comfortbale bed, just overall a more unique hotel room then we've ever stayed in.

parking was a bit of an issue at first because there was so much going on that day and of course a beeautiful day at the beach,,but we found a spot on the street not far from the hotel.

we had dinner and a few drinks in the Dauphin grille before we went out. suprisingly didnt need reservations but they recommended reservations during the summer. the food was excellent and the bar tenders were very nice and informative. they let us know that when the pool opens for the summer that they will have the tiki bar out there.

eveything we needed for that night was within waling distacne right there on the boardwalk. the Aqua bar inside convention hall, the stone pony, and the watermark lounge.

overall, i would stay at this hotel anyday over some best western or holiday inn. this place and so much charecter, i feel honored to have had the oppurtunity to stay in such a building with the history it does. i would recommend this hotel to my family.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 23, 2011

My friends had their wedding at the Berkley. The wedding was nice and the banquet rooms were pretty, but the place is infested with termites!!! I shared a room with my friend after the reception. While she was showering after the wedding, I needed to use the restroom. I wandered down to the lobby.... HUGE mistake. As I was using the ladies room, I felt crawling up my leg. Termites were actually crawling up my legs!!! They were in the toilets, on the walls, and in the sinks. They were everywhere. I have never experienced anything so filthy... not even at a turnpike rest area. I immediately told maintenance (the only person working that wasn't rude). Unfortunately, since it was 4 am, I was stuck. I went upstairs, got my car keys, and went for a drive just to get out of the bug infested hotel. When I returned, I took a shower and brushed my teeth to try to get the icky feeling off my skin. As I was brushing my teeth, I saw more termites crawling out of the sink. When I told the front desk, they insisted on seeing the pictures I took (oh.... I def took pictures). The RUDE girl was more concerned about the other guests hearing and said since the issue was mainly outside our room, she could only give me a 15% discount. This is the same girl that told my friend there was noone who could help carry her bags in. So, needless to say, I will never stay here again. Other than a bug collector, I couldn't imagine anyone wanting to stay here.

• Stayed: May 2011
3  Thank mdoodles82
Reviewed May 1, 2011

The lot was full and we were forced to pay for meter parking. The elevators are terrible, just like everyone says. They're slow and stop at every floor, everytime. The rooms are nice though, very clean and stylish. The bed linens were clean and comfy. The bath towels could have been softer and were a little dingy, but that's minor. The location is great, right on the beach.

Reviewed April 30, 2011

My husband booked this hotel through a Living Social deal. After reading all the reviews for this hotel, I was expecting the worst as I am a very particular person. I even brought my own towels and toiletries fearing there would be none.
We arrived at the hotel about an hour before check in time. No sign out front, I guess they figure you know where you are. We got a space in the lot behind the hotel. Signage stating parking policy would be a great help here, if I didn't know from the reviews that you need a permit, I would have never asked. The desk clerk was friendly and accommodating, there was no problem checking in early.
We went up in the elevator, everything you have read is true. Small, noisy and for some strange reason, lit with dark blue lights... which nearly made it impossible to see to push the buttons. It was like something out of a Stephen King novel. Management, you really need to switch out the blue bulbs to white ones, a cheap and easy fix that would do so much to add to the ambiance of the hotel. And not totally creep out your guests.
We got to the room, and our electronic keys didn't work. Which I knew would happen since I read the other reviews. So back down in the creepy elevator to get regular keys. Folks, save yourself a trip... ask for regular keys at check in.
I held my breath as I opened the door to our room... and wow! was I surprised! Modern decor, spacious and clean, clean, clean! And believe me, I inspected. The bathroom was spotless and new and had all the linens and toiletries with a hair dryer on the wall. Fantastic ocean view that you could see from bed. The bed linens were fresh and clean. The bed was firm, but comfortable. Large flat screen tv with a bajillion channels. There was a nonworking lamp and the telephone wasn't plugged in. Not the end of the world.
We had dinner at the Dauphine Grille in the hotel that night... our servers were knowledgeable and friendly. The dinner was well prepared and delicious. The only negative I can state here is that our banquette seating could have used new springs/ padding as it sagged a bit. Big deal. Dinner was great.
A word about Asbury Park. It is not your typical Jersey seaside resort town. At one point it was practically a ghost town, and the boardwalk area shows the scars. I grew up in the area and it hasn't changed all that much. But bless the people of AP, they are trying to bring it back. There is a thriving nightlife/music scene with the Paramount Theater and clubs, restaurants and bars such as The Wonder Bar and Stone Pony. It not really the place to take kids... there are no amusement rides although there is a little water park. But for adults who love music and good food, I would recommend it.
So to recap: The Berkeley was a good deal and a nice clean room. The Hotel is under renovation, but I would stay here again and I am picky. Dauphine Grille had great food and service.

Management: The blue lights in the elevator have to go, no matter what your interior designer tells you, they are freaking out your guests. No one wants to get in a dark elevator with a stranger. Maintenance of the common areas needs some attention. Peeling paint on the elevator door frame for example, would be a ten minute touch up, but to leave it like that just gives a bad impression before the guest even gets to the room. All in all, we had an enjoyable stay... thank you!

Room Tip: I
3  Thank garbageeve
Reviewed April 30, 2011

Stayed here b/c of a living social deal, the hotel has been renovated but the elevators have not. Parking was included but the lot was full, the front desk informed us that there is metered parking or to park in a residential area....they need to improve on this. There was an awful odor in the elevator, like spoiled milk, which made for a very long ride. The elevator doors actually try to open prior to the cab itself being leveled - interesting. The room had an ocean view but also overlooked the roof, there was a maintenance person walking across it for most of the afternoon - interesting. One of the bedside tables is so unlevel that the drawer is always open. Dinner was included in the special - my food was okay, my partner wasn't so lucky and spent the entire night sick in the bathroom.
So all in all, great location with some very interesting quirks about it.

Room Tip: request a higher floor
Reviewed April 11, 2011

We stayed at the Berkely for a birthday weekend. The hotel is very nice, clean and has a lot of character. The people working at the hotel were very polite and helpful. The room was clean and the beds provided a good night's rest. The ocean view was awesome.
Just as I read on line the elevator (only one was working) was a dinosaur. But, everyone that rode got a good laugh out of it so it didn't matter.
The only complaint, and this was common with everyone staying at the hotel, was the fact that there is no parking available. Of course the hotel's parking lot was full (there were cars parked there that had no hotel permit) so we had to park on the street a block away and it was metered. We asked them why and they said they are working with the city but apparantly not getting much cooperation.
Definitely will stay there again but will try to find alternative parking.

2  Thank DonatelloAnthony
ashmahon, Manager at Berkeley Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2011

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property, we appreciate your feedback and are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay! We are currently in the process of replacing all three of our guest elevators and are trying to work with the town to improve our parking situation. We hope you will visit us again soon so that you can experience our continued improvements!

Reviewed April 10, 2011

We got a deal for a one night stay, dinner & bottle of wine, and a special gift through livingsocial. Our disappointment started when we arrived at the hotel with no where to park. We were told the hotel'sparking was on a first-come-first-serve basis at an open lot behind the hotel (picture attached).

The front desk attendants seemed to be overwhelmed and were quick to dismiss guest and their concerns.

After checking in, we waited patiently for the only working elevator (one out of the three) to take us on the most scary elevator ride we had ever experienced...amidst the creaks bangs and other unexplained noises, a gentleman we were riding with warned us about being stuck on the only functional elevator, as he had experienced that the day before.

Once in our room we dropped our bags in utter dismay as we realized the gross misrepresentation of the size, description and the apparent ocean front view we had been promised. Our room over looked an unsightly seemingly dilapidated, dead-looking warehouse/factory across the street (picture attached). Now we saw the ocean alright, but from a considerable distance...hardly meeting any of our expectations.

A shower felt appropriate ofter the long drive to this so called getaway. However the anticlimax of the initial disappointment was nothing compared to the disgusting brownish green mold on the caulked parts of the bath tub (pictures attached).

The room had a TV and 2 beds. We were told with an extra $25, we could get a refrigerator. We decided not to even bother asking about the absence of a microwave oven. The only microwave oven was behind the front desk counter. If you needed a micro wave oven, you had to go to the ground floor to ask the front desk receptionist to warm up your food (we found that very intrusive). The only ice maker we had access to was on the eighth floor.

Now if safety is important to you you might want to specifically ask for a room with an unbroken security hinge before you check in. Ours was broken and a change of room was unlikely (picture attached).

At this point we we ready to check into another hotel, but could not find any nearby. We had dinner, slept and took off at the first signs of daylight.

Conceptually, it seemed a nice hotel, but we will not forgive ourselves for not doing more research on this hotel.

2  Thank grandpopa
ashmahon, Manager at Berkeley Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2011

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay but are pleased to let you know that we are in the process of updating all of your concerns. In the last month we have hired a new housekeeping director, we are currently replacing all three of our guest elevators and are working with the city of Asbury Park to improve our parking situation. We hope you will visit us in the near future to see our continued improvements!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Asbury Park
The Asbury Hotel
The Asbury Hotel
#1 of 6 in Asbury Park
Empress Hotel
Empress Hotel
#2 of 6 in Asbury Park
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites West Long Branch
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suit...
#1 of 3 in West Long Branch
Bungalow Hotel
Bungalow Hotel
#2 of 4 in Long Branch
Red Roof Inn Neptune
Red Roof Inn Neptune
#2 of 6 in Neptune
Holiday Inn Express Neptune

Been to Berkeley Oceanfront Hotel? Share your experiences!