“Top Notch”
Review of Moonstruck

Moonstruck
Ranked #1 of 123 Restaurants in Asbury Park
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Large groups, Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed July 24, 2014

Moonstruck has always been a favorite restaurant of mine... My family and I went on Friday and as always, the food was out of this world!!! The service.. EVEN better (if that is possible). It is like eating at a 5 star restaurant, but with really kind and attentive staff that make you feel like you are welcome and like you are a part of their family! A special thank you to all of those at Moonstruck who made our last visit EXTRA special especially Sara, Mike, Chris and everyone else that made our dinner so wonderful! This is the PERFECT restaurant if you are going on a date, celebrating with family, taking out clients, or going out with friends!

2  Thank JenVanSheridan

Reviewed July 24, 2014

I have been debating writing this review for days out of a real concern that the Moonstruck Host who is the nastiest person I have encountered despite eating in the best and most upscale restaurants in the world, including the very snooty Eiffel Tower. Due to his personality, I will most likely be barred from the restaurant after this is posted unless I can come up wit a really good disguise. If you have been here and encountered him, you will know I am not exaggerating. We arrived at 6 pm told an hour wait. There is no eating at the bar downstairs. After 50 minutes I asked one of the two assistant hosts for a time update and was told I must get on the back of the line for patrons checking in for tables that stretched out onto the front porch. I obeyed. When I finally got to speak to Mr. Happy he looked at the list then computer then said something to assistant host who grabbed a tray. He said zero to little me. I mistakenly assumed that meant our table was ready. I dutifully stepped aside as Jerry did purchasing soup and started to follow the female host and asked if I should follow her. She looked at me like she never saw me before and said she had no idea I needed to get back on the end of the line. I am not making this up. I get back on the line again but at this point my two companions and I definitely felt we were in a Seinfeld episode adding some brevity to the experience. This time I waited for a response on timing without moving and this was his quote "I have you down for 7:49 and that's when you will be called." OK well I should have just succumbed to his outrageous behavior but I was determined. We three went upstairs and saw a bar that eating at was not against the rules. There were 8 empty seats set with silverware and glasses we proceeded to sit down and was spoken to by a bartender like we were the dumbest people on the planet who must have just escaped from prison who yelled at us no seats may be taken at the upstairs bar without permission from Mr. HAPPY. yes I took the challenge, after all I was born and bred in NY and refused to be intimidated by this person so yes got on line again. Here is is answer "this is the third time you have been here asking for your table You may not sit at the upstairs bar because it is too much work for the bartender for the three of you to sit there. Your table will be ready when it is ready and don't come back to ask again." Well to be honest my husband and best friend had to laugh it was incredulous. My friend suggested I flash my chemo port on my chest for my pancreatic cancer but we knew this classless clod wouldn't even look up. I have been here a number of times during the past few years food was inconsistent and that host was never nice. However, it is a shame because the food this weekend was simply wonderful as was our waitress. I would love to eat there and bring guests. No food could possibly be worth being spoken to like an animal both by that miserable human being who is the greeter and ruler (guessing an owner cause still works there) and his equally rude bartender sidekick on the second floor.

11  Thank MC1457
Reviewed July 22, 2014

Ok, it was hard not to hum to that song and think of that funny movie of the same name. Have to admit it put me in a good mood before I arrived. Moonstruck's exterior of a multi-level victorian style near the lake was very charming - to enjoy a cocktail outside or have dinner, while inside is just as comfortable. On a busy Saturday evening and the wait for a table north of 45 minutes, the staff was very accommodating and knew their menu and specials well. Our wait between the appetizer and entree was slow, but with a full house I'm sure that was an issue. As for the food, everything was very well made/plated and fresh, and the prices reasonable. There is something on the menu for everyone, and a must visit while at the Jersey shore. I plan to return when there is a piano player, have room for dessert and sit outside among all the lights, when the moon hits..... you know.

3  Thank Karen D
Reviewed July 22, 2014

Moonstruck s probably the oldest restaurant to survive the return of downtown Asbury (though it is on the side opposite Cookman, on the lake), and that's due to its outstanding service, food, and atmosphere. Not cheap, but go online for specials.

1  Thank natty64
Reviewed July 19, 2014

We loved this restaurant ! Its located overlooking a lake just a few minutes from the Boardwalk by car or short cab ride. Its just a special place, the food was delicious and the service was excellent. We ate out on the deck, it was a Thursday night and the restaurant was busy. Its just a must eat at place. It felt like we were on the set of Steel Magnolias, I just really enjoyed it. Their menu had a great selection. Don't pass up on this one for sure !!