“Asbury Park. History on the Jersey Shore!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Asbury Park Boardwalk
Ranked #2 of 24 things to do in Asbury Park
Detroit, Michigan
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Asbury Park. History on the Jersey Shore!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2010

I attended a wedding on the Asbury Park boardwalk. It was beautiful! The staff at McLoone's restaurant were fantastic and helped put it together. I loved the scenery, all of these beautiful historic buildings that are in the process of (or waiting to be) restored. I only wish they had a historical tour of the boardwalk, the only amenity missing in this town.

We stayed at the 6th Avenue House Bed & Breakfast, and the staff was absolutely wonderful. The B&B was gorgeous, and a great value. They were also dog-friendly, as were many businesses in the area are.

We want to come back for another trip in the fall...

Milford, New Jersey
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“Much improved, but a long way to go”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2009

I have been a summer resident of Ocean Grove for the last 10 seasons. Asbury has certainly seen some improvement over that time. At first, I was afraid to go over there, even in broad daylight. The most improvment has come over the past 5 years. I was at the boardwalk last weekend and it was bustling! One downside is the area you have to travel through to get there - be cautios and use your street smarts. I ride my bike weekly on the boardwalk, and have gone to several of the restaurants. And for amibiance, try the Beach Bar at the Convention Center. The Water Park just recenly opened, however I feel it's a little pricey for families, as is the miniature golf. I am hoping the improvement continues.

1 Thank DAKC
Blooomfield, NJ
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Asbury Park - A Hidden Gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2009

After reading a local article about Asbury Park, I made a "note to self" that it would make a good day jaunt, having the impression from the article that it would be pretty desolate and rundown and therefore easier to access than other Shore options. Little did I expect to find a hidden gem we cannot wait to get back to! Don't count this place out. Asbury Park is more than up and coming. Charming and quaint, and filled with upscale restaurants and shops and an array of activities. Who knew! I was almost afraid to let the secret out by writing in.

1 Thank LuluBlooomfield_NJ
Old Bridge, New Jersey
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 103 helpful votes
“Asbury Park Boardwalk- Its not that bad.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2008

The Asbury Park Boardwalk and surrounding area was once a run down boardwalk that rotted so much you would fall through while talking a walk. You would not dare venture from Ocean Grove to Asbury in fear for your safety. In fact for years the entrance from Ocean Grove to Asbury Park was boarded up, and then re-opened, but closing the entrance at night. There were many empty dilapidated buildings, and it was not very safe. Well, most of that has been changing over the last 5 years. The boardwalk was totally rebuilt and it’s actually very nice between the old Casino (building that boarders Asbury Park and Ocean Grove) and the Convention Hall. You can freely walk between Ocean Grove and Asbury Park with no barriers and feel totally safe and secure.

On the Asbury Park boardwalk is two new upscale restaurants and the Watermark; a second floor lounge with a view of the boardwalk and ocean with an outdoor deck as of October 2008. Also on the boardwalk is an ice cream café, art gallery, taco bar, Mayfair grill, Salt Water Beach Café (the two story round building next to the convention hall). There is even a furniture store! Sorry I don’t know the names to all the establishments.

Inside the convention hall is a sports pub (O'Toole's Irish Pub- my favorite. See my write up on this site), Biggie’s Clam Bar, a snack bar, Panini shop and bakery with various coffees and a small police station.

I used to go to Ocean Grove but their boardwalk is falling apart and there is not much really to do there. Now I spend my time at the Asbury Park Boardwalk. Its safe and everything is basically renovated or a work in progress.

Asbury Park is still going through a rebuilding transition period. The Casino is still being renovated and the other side of the Convention Center has buildings that are in disarray. But give it a try day or night. You might catch the trolley car too!

3 Thank blackbear9
Kitchener, Canada
218 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 664 helpful votes
“Quiet, clean, nice beach”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2008

We had already visited Wildwood boardwalk, Ocean City boardwalk and Atlantic City boardwalk, before checking out Asbury Park boardwalk. It was quite different from the rest.

The streets we drove through to reach the boardwalk seemed pretty run down and depresssed. I was actually glad we didn't need to get out of the car in that neighbourhood.

There were very few shops or restaurants along the boardwalk. We visited late in the day, when there was nobody on the beach, although the beach looked very nice, clean and inviting. There was lots of parking nearby.

One shop I did enjoy was Cookie Pie. They have great stuffed cookies, which are very yummy and filling.

Hot Sands Glass Studio was amazing. In addition to watching them make interesting glass pieces, you can also make your own. After making your glass piece, you need to leave it there for a couple of days.

The Convention Hall was quite interesting. There was a band (not a rock band, more like a marching band) that was playing, with a pretty good size crowd watching (including doggies!).

From what I can see, they are definitely fixing up the boardwalk area. It's very clean, and they just need to open a few more interesting places along the boardwalk to help draw crowds. I'd like to go back in a few years to see further improvements.

2 Thank KLM1