“Great for a day trip.”

Asbury Park Boardwalk
Ranked #2 of 29 things to do in Asbury Park
Reviewed July 19, 2014

We usually go to Spring Lake or Belmar for the day and decided to give Asbury Park a try. Didn't do the beach but found a bar on the beach. Since the day was overcast we hit the outlets Tinton Falls then about 15 minutes to get to Asbury. The are a lot of good places to eat. Not much of a boardwalk our 12 year old would have been bored out of his mind. Great or adults or childless couples. I really didn't think there would be much family appeal. Try Point Pleasant for more of a family atmosphere.

2  Thank yummimummi1

Reviewed July 19, 2014

Its so nice to see people coming back to Asbury Park. The history there, the lovely people and all the activities are things that I hope keeps getting better and better. Plenty of police around so safety isn't an issue. People from all walks of life just relaxing and and enjoying what was and now is returning to the American Icon it was meant to be. BRAVO ASBURY PARK !!!

Reviewed July 19, 2014 via mobile

Hadn't been to Asbury since I was a kid in the early 80s. And because of that, I was a bit skeptical, despite all the good things I'd heard about it in recent years. It's a very different place now. It still has it's struggles, but what they've done with the boardwalk/beach area is amazing. I was pleasantly surprised with how easy it was to park/pay and access the beach (on a Friday). I'm not familiar with this. Just driving to, parking, and getting on most beaches in NJ is a nightmare. The restaurants Cubacan and Porta were great. I was surprised at what a family friendly place it is, too. There's a jungle-gym type structure on the beach and a spray/splash park for kids. And tons of families dining al fresco on the boardwalk. I will definitely be going back with my two little ones. Asbury Park just found itself a new family of fans.

Reviewed July 14, 2014

Asbury Park was really nice. The splash park was great! There are not any games or rides here, but the food and beach are great. I didn't know what to expect as many people still think of all the negative things from years ago, but it was great. Parking was $1 an hour. There are some really nice condos that look like they were just built. There are also a few playgrounds on the beach. If you are thinking of going for the day I recommend you go and see for yourself. Yes you will drive through some areas that are not your typical shore towns, but once you drive through and get to the boardwalk you won't regret it.

3  Thank Crasie
Reviewed July 7, 2014

I am a long time Ocean Grove (next town) person which has gotten much too crowded and nearly impossible to find parking in the past few years. This is the first time spending significant time in Asbury Park and I am happy to see it beginning to thrive. I love that there is a boardwalk with a range of food options plus miniature golf and some shops. It is nice to take a break from the beach and walk along the boardwalk and grab lunch. There is also a playground on the beach - we took our nieces one evening during our stay. It is gay friendly, family friendly, and overall has a nice diverse, unpretentious feel.

2  Thank Melissa H