“It is what it is!”
Review of Oceanic Inn

Oceanic Inn
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Asbury Park
Reviewed June 12, 2011

We stayed there 3 nights, great loction right across from the beach and board walk begining. Staff was very friendly and very helpful with directions and were to be and not be. It was only 75 a night wich was way cheeper than hotels around. And they have security there over night which made us (two woman) feel safe. By no means is this a hilton but was def clean.

• Stayed: June 2011
5  Thank Slball34

Reviewed June 8, 2011

Well, when I first went onto this site and saw the reviews, I was skeptical; however, $70 for a night, one block from the beach couldn't be that awful, right?

If you are looking for a 4-star hotel, this is not the place for you; however, if you are looking for clean sheets and towels and a place to lay your head, the Oceanic Inn is a great place. The rooms are old and drab; but who really cares!!! The manager is a sweet man and even called me when I had left my phone charger in the room. How many places do that?!!!!

I will definately stay there again when I visit Asbury Park.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank finkster2011
Reviewed June 7, 2011

We stayed for This years Pride in As bury Park for 4 night. Who would wanna pay $360 a night at Berkeley hotel and waste $ 690 or more and they don't afford microwaves or fridge....The Staff was so friendly and nice, and also you get free internet. There were no Bed bugs and or other stuff that are bad reviews do not listen to the bad review's.... My only concern is they rooms have 2 beds and you have to pay more money per person. What is the point on having 2 beds if most hotels dont charge for the 2 people when there is 4 max in the room. I think they should wave that The television never worked, We wasn't in the room most of the time but my experience was good we will be back soon. be foreI for get you can't compare there price trust us when we say it.....

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank dami732
Reviewed May 17, 2011

I was pleasantly surprised to find very nice and helpful people that work there. Your so close to the beach and its soo reasonable. Clean, freindly, and reasonably priced, how can you possibly go wrong?

Room Tip: room 9
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank karentalas
Reviewed May 17, 2011

Awsome hotel if your going to a concert in asbury park. everything is in walking distance. There were no bed bugs when we were there, thats a bunch of crap!! if you are going down to asbury park with your wife for a get away i would go else where. You cant beat the price.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank jjircal
Reviewed August 26, 2010

Honestly...who wants to spend $200 a night for a weekend getaway or perhaps a three day holiday weekend? My husband and I sure don't, especially when you're not going to be spending much time in your room anyway. We went to check out Asbury Park on the recommendation of a friend...the revitalization of the boardwalk and all. We took a drive down without a reservation anywhere (which we often do) and decided to stay the night and enjoy the beach and The Stone Pony. We had no intention of staying at The Berkley or The Tides...just too expensive. So we came across The Oceanic Inn. At first site, it's not the most eye-pleasing place, but it has free parking and it's only a block from the boardwalk. The location is great! The owner/manager was very nice and helpful. Since we had never been to Asbury Park before, he told us where everything was, The Stone Pony (Bruce Springteen's place), great restaurants, etc...Ok...so it's not The Ritz, the rooms are very basic, but...it was clean, the beds were comfortable, it had a microwave , a fridge and cable . You don't need much more when you're spending most of your time on the beach. AND...it was only $65 a night. I believe it was a little off season, but then we went again over a holiday and it was only $75. You just can't beat that! If you're really picky or not easily satisfied, this is not the place for you. But, if your just looking for a place to rest your weary head...this is it. I highly recommend it! We're going back again soon.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank lvactress
Reviewed June 7, 2010

Well, the property isn’t the Four Seasons but for all that you get versus what you pay, the Oceanic Inn surely screams value! We went to the recent Pride weekend in Asbury Park and stayed at the facility. In not wanting to pay $260/night with a two day minimum (outrageous!), we searched for alternatives. Needless to say there are not many choices in Asbury Park! Either you have the Berkley, the Empress, the Tides, a number of Bed & Breakfasts, and the Oceanic Inn. Admittedly, we were put off by the negative reviews here, BUT concluded that since we were only going to be staying the night, would not be in our room at any length of time, …and c’mon, how bad can it REALLY be without the Board of Health closing them down? …we would try our luck! Here’s our objective review: Its not bad at all. Yep! Its old (or as they say in the industry—the rooms are tired—think structure and furnishings from late 60’s or early 70’s), but the hotel is very clean. Yep! There was a “stale” odor upon entering the room but if you turn on the A/C and leave for an hour, you will come back and you have no problem. Actually, it would benefit management if they picked up a bottle of industrial strength desensitizer spray to squirt in the rooms after each use. That’s what the larger concerns do. In any event, the motel, (a much more accurate description), is perfectly located (less than a block from the beach—actually you just cross the street), a 4 or 5 short picturesque block walk to a liquor store, Welsh Farm, 7-11, and McDonalds… did I mention liquor store? …and a presentable maintained outside facade. The rooms (at least ours) are ample in space; The beds are comfortable covered in fresh linen; cable television; a refrigerator; and a micro-wave. Oh yeah! They do provide soap (little bars but its there) but it probably helps to bring your own; and towels (face & bath.) The only thing we found missing was an Internet connection. Oh well!... Overall, think of an older Red Roof Inn or Motel Six. I spoke with management about the negative reviews here (they are indeed aware of them.) He (management) admitted that at one point there was a bed bug problem HOWEVER, it was an issue plaguing the whole city pretty much at the time (happens in NYC too folks—even in the 3 and 4 star places). Changes were made and an exterminator is in monthly and “on-call” if anything is spotted. He further stated that many of these negative reviews were from “kids” who rented a room and then crowded 10-12 people in one room. A bit rowdy were some of these groups and sometimes they required police action. What’s the best way to seek retribution on a business? —write a bad review on the Internet of course! So, for us, all that we experienced for $75/per night is GREAT!!! Oh yeah… we wanted to spend some more time in the city and the owners graciously held our stuff (without charge) until we came back. Did I mention that we got $5 back because we turned in our key??? LOL!!! Its makes it $70/night! Would I return? Absolutely! For day trips and weekends, it will probably be my first stop to set up a base! Anything longer I would probably want a bit more upscale. ...But then that's me!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends
Red Roof Inn Neptune
#2 of 6 in Neptune
4 mi away
Holiday Inn Express Neptune

Been to Oceanic Inn? Share your experiences!