“The Empress and Paradise ARE Halloween!”
Review of Empress Hotel

Empress Hotel
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Asbury Park
Reviewed November 1, 2009

Get out your 2010 calendar and book your room at The Empress Hotel for Halloween 2010!

This was my first, but certainly not my last Halloween at The Empress. Imagine the excitement and thrills of the famous Halloween parades of Greenwich Village under one roof.

Hotel guests are admitted to the Halloween party free of charge, the rooms are immaculately clean, pool side rooms offer views of the party and ocean side rooms offer the tranquility and beauty of the Atlantic ocean. The Empress offers standard and seasonal fare in their restaurant "Ketchup."

When booking for Halloween, remember that you are there for a party and that it WILL be a party experience, not every guest will sleep the night away. You may hear bumps in the night, but it is all part of the fun.

Whether you choose to throw a sheet over your head and call yourself a ghost, or you hire a private designer to create a costume for you, you will have a great time. (And you will see every costume in that gamut.)

So fun! Not to be missed!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled solo

Reviewed October 12, 2009

I wanted to make a last minute surprise getaway, so I did a research on over the Jersey Shore area hotels and no one came even closer to the Empress Hotel value.

We arrived very late at night and hungry. We were greeted by a very polite staff that gave us all the information we need, even handed us a menu of a restaurant that delivers until 2am and complementary passses to the night club adjacent to the hotel.

We got as requested a room with ocean view, very clean and neat.

We were able to enjoy a romantic walk on the boardwalk, a romantic brunch, a romantic dinner and top it with dancing at night club adjacent to the hotel.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 23, 2009

I am not generally inclined to write a review on the internet. Especially a hotel in a state or town I don't live! But my son was getting married in New Jersey and The Empress Hotel was chosen by my daughter-in-law as our destination. I was told to book early to get the best view. What a view it was! My husband and I had no idea prior to our stay that the room would have a terrace with such a lovely view of the Atlantic Ocean. The majority of my son's small wedding party stayed at The Empress Hotel as well and I was able to be loacted near them all on the same floor. The staff of the check in were friendly and well mannered. My husband tends to be needy sometimes and these clerks never skipped a beat in accomodating him with extra towels and pillows. Our room was number 432 and it was clean! When you keep your home in tip top shape, you worry about the cleanliness of other places, but I was extremely satisfied with this room. It even had many amenities which I normally don't use but we took advantage of. We had a coffee maker and a safe! My husband also liked the air conditioner that he was able to set to his preference. I mention these things, because it's the little things that can put a kink in your travelling I believe and our expectations were beyond met. Aside from The Empress Hotel, they have a restaurant where we enjoyed the ribs. My husband and I were quite pleased because we come from the South and our barbecue is quite good here, but they outdid themselves at Ketchup Restaurant. People sure do like to have a party in the town of Asbury Park and at nighttime there were beautiful lights everywhere and lovely, young people enjoying themselves. I thoroughly enjoyed this little town of Asbury Park and I was glad to come here and share in my son's wedding. Thank you to The Empress Hotel for making my memorable occasion even more unforgettable.

R. Tompkins

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 1, 2009

I went to the Empress hotel with the hopes of having a great time at the pool and Paradise. We got to our room - which we paid about $175.00 for - and it stunk like an ashtray. Not just an ashtray - a pit of used cigarette butts. Being that the hotel is non smoking - I thought it would be better. There was even a balcony where you fit 4-5 people who could smoke. When I emailed the hotel about it after, they totally ignored my comments and feedback. I would NOT reccommend this hotel - the rooms are disgusting and not worth the money. Hello - Asbury Park is a ghetto. Not only that, a place that ignores customers is no place I want to be.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
4  Thank pjlo01
Management response:Responded January 21, 2011

Dear Valued Guest,

I apologize that you did not enjoy your stay. I wonder if you were assigned a smoking room, as our Hotel is not 100% smoke fee. We maintain a few smoking rooms for our smoking travelers. I hope you were able to venture out to experience some of the many unique locations in Asbury Park. Our town is still under renovation, but we feel it is well on its way of removing the reputation it had years ago.

Reviewed August 11, 2009

We've recently discovered Asbury Park beach and love the seedy, forgotten quality. No-one will mistake it for Miami Beach or the Hamptons. We had low-ish expectations of the Empress, and after passing through the slightly tacky pool area lobby, they stayed low. Check-in was easy and friendly -expectations rose- and when we got to our room, we found ourselves in a very nice space -our expectations well surpassed. Fairly generic, but great mattress, good fresh linens, decent size room, all details well considered and executed. The bathroom was mostly original but completely fine. Great value; where else can you stay 200ft from the beach for $199? Unheard of. Very good dining options nearby too.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 23, 2009

We have stayed at the Empress now for 3 years in a row each summer for the big gay and lesbian Roadtrip weekend. It is Miami Beach chic at the Jersey Shore. Having lived through Asbury's renaissance before moving to Florida in 2006, we also got to see the hotel in its transition through the years. It was hard to believe that the hotel could be taken to a notch of other beach side hotels on more posh level, BUT it did. It is chic and trendy with a open air lobby with beach breezes pouring through shimmery lightweight floor to ceiling draperies and original terrazzo floors shiny as can be. A retro pinball machine can be heard in the background with sounds reminiscent of my days at Palace Amusements with its distinct shooting gallery and funhouse ghoulish sounds. It proved to be a REAL hotel, beautiful decorated like a "W" Hotel, modern elevator, halls and rooms that all have balconies to either the pool or ocean with a fabulous birds eye view of the hustle and bustle of beachfront Asbury Park. I find this to be a great hotel for gay people and anyone else who embraces gay people, if your homophobic, stay clear, this is a establishment that is a refuge to gay men and women and anyone else. There is a lobby bar Miami style and is home to the Jersey Shore's premier gay dance club "Paradise" where music plays late into the night. If your an early to bed personality, during the week may be your best bet, less activity and a quiet shore getaway. Weekends bring a whole other vibe, attracting gay people from the shore and NYC looking to experience this Miami meets Jersey Shore retreat. We thoroughly enjoyed watching the clubs and restaurants empty out at 2am from our balcony, a birds eye view into what was and is again...Asbury Park. The amenities are great, free passes to the nightclub and pool with tiki bars and chaise service, a large gay boy presence at the pool, if your straight you will be the minority :) Great ac units, tv's, mini coffee maker, safe, there is wifi in the lobby area with a bar to rest your laptop. Parking is limited and can be stressful, however hotel staff are friendly and try to accommodate and give parking suggestions. It would be best to find parking and rent bikes, leaving your car in one place for the weekend. Bike rentals are in the 5th Ave pavilion and the hotel is central to everything, restaurants, galleries, shops, it doesn't get any better then this location. Worth the money spent. Each room has its own modern ac unit with thermostat, love how they kept the original bath tubs and 60's Eames era tiling, while modernizing everything else. I like my hotels and am a little pampered, this was Ocean Drive Miami Beach. I'd like to recommend Kristen, the Manager who was sweet, professional, and certainly an asset to the vacation atmosphere. The first year we stayed I would have given The Empress a 4 for effort as the kinks weren't yet ironed out, but each year has gotten better and better and you can tell they are taking it serious. I also love that it is dog friendly. While your there check out the boardwalk and see how Asbury Park has truly come full circle thanks to the early pioneers of gay men and women who came in and poured their hearts and souls into taking back the ailing neighborhoods and risked opening businesses. I am proud to have called it home. We look forward to next year's Roadtrip weekend and The Empress. Brian Walsh and James Villa...Jacksonville Florida Hipasbury@aol.com

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 21, 2009

I just got back from a three day mini-vacation @ the Empress and I must say I was impressed at the amount of fun me and my group of friends had. The employee's were helpful & exptremely pleasant whenever we needed anything. The rooms were clean and over looked the pool where all the activities were around.
The night club was pack (as any good night club is) and lots of fun. Sunday Tea party even more fun and it was filled with friendly people. A nice mix of family early on in the day with straight and gays, going into the evening with mainly gay clientel but definitely a friendly mix still going on.
I look forward to another visit!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends
#1 of 7 in Spring Lake
Hotel Tides
Hotel Tides
#4 of 6 in Asbury Park

Been to Empress Hotel? Share your experiences!