“Pleasantly surprised!”

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Asbury Park
New York
“Pleasantly surprised!”
Reviewed June 11, 2011

My husband, infant daughter, and I decided to take a last-minute trip to the Jersey Shore in June, 2011. We randomly picked Empress Hotel from a variety of hotels and inns in the Asbury Park/ Ocean Grove vicinity. After making our reservation for a three-night stay at Empress Hotel, my husband and I learned that the hotel is gay-oriented. As open-mined people, we were not bothered by this fact. We checked into Empress Hotel on Monday, June 6, 2011. We were greeted by friendly staff at the front desk. The lobby was clean and festively decorated. After check-in, we ventured up to our fourth-floor ocean-view room and we were impressed with the cleanliness and accommodations. In our standard room, we had one king-sized bed and plenty of space for which to put our daughter's Pack 'n Play portable crib. The bathroom was a bit dated, but clean and in good repair. We requested a refrigerator at the front desk and one was delivered to us within a very short period of time. Overall, our first impression of the hotel and our room was positive. After getting settled into our room, we changed into our swimsuits and went to check out the pool area. While we love the beach, it was vital that our hotel have a pool because of the difficulty associated with spending the day at the beach when you have an infant. The pool was clean and the atmosphere was fun and vibrant. We struck up some nice conversation with other hotel guests and enjoyed ourselves for a couple of hours. After our drive from NY to NJ, we were hungry for some lunch and were pleasantly surprised to see that the hotel's restaurant served sandwiches by the pool. My husband and I shared a Thanksgiving wrap and french fries and that really hit the spot! It is important to note that food is not always available at the pool, so you will need to check the schedule and plan accordingly. After our afternoon at the pool, we returned to our hotel room and showered for dinner. The location of the hotel is perfect! We were right on the Asbury Park boardwalk and had easy access to all that the boardwalk had to offer. We enjoyed a meal at McLoon's, which was mediocre, at best, but convenient. After dinner, we strolled the boardwalk before returning to the hotel for the night. Our first night was comfortable and uneventful. The following morning, we awoke and ventured to the beach and then the pool for the day. A heat wave was setting in and the pool was very refreshing. Our daughter really enjoyed splashing around and she soaked up all of the oohing and ahhing that she got from the other hotel guests. When we returned to our room after our afternoon at the pool, we noticed that the room was a bit warm and wondered if the air conditioning was working properly. We showered and left for a delicious Cuban dinner at Cubacan, located right across from the hotel and a MUST-TRY! Our meal was delicious! Afterwards, we had ice cream on the boardwalk. Upon returning to our room after dinner, it was evident that the air conditioning was not working, so I walked down to the front desk to explain the problem. Because there was not a maintenance worker available to look at the problem that evening, the receptionist offered a move to a nearby room and offered to allow us access to both the original room and the new room in order to avoid us needing to move all of our belongings. She explained that a maintenance worker would look at the problem in the morning. In the meantime, we decided to just move all of our things to the new room. When we arrived at our new room, we saw that it was actually an upgrade to a corner room. The room was much larger and had more windows and a larger balcony on which to enjoy the ocean view. The receptionist assured us that we would only be charged the standard room rate, although we had been upgraded to a deluxe room. We were very appreciative of the upgrade, as well as the quick resolution to our concern. The following day was our last full day at the hotel ad we enjoyed ourselves at the beach and the pool. In the midst of a heat wave, the pool was definitely the spot to be for my family and me. On our last night in Asbury Park, we enjoyed dinner at Stella Marina, which is an Italian restaurant located just adjacent to the hotel. The meal was good and we finished our evening with more ice cream and a long walk on the boardwalk. We walked down into the neighboring town of Ocean Grove. We loved the quaintness and charm of this small town. When we returned to the hotel for the night, I inquired at the front desk about a later check-out time for the morning, so that my family and I could enjoy the pool a bit more. The receptionist was very accommodating and told us that we may check out by 2:00 p.m. rather than the usual noon check-out time. This was great because it allowed us to spend time at the pool, then head back to the room to shower and bathe our daughter before starting our car ride home. Our daughter even took a nap in the room after the pool and before check-out. Upon check-out, the receptionist explained that one night's rate had been comped due to our troubles with the air conditioning. I did not expect this at all and I was extremely appreciative. So, not only did we get an upgrade to a nicer room, we also received one night for free! For me, this gesture goes a long way. Empress Hotel helped to make our Jersey Shore trip fun, convenient, and memorable. We plan to return again next season and hope to see some of the friends that we made during our time there! :)

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank lbrooke
empres101, General Manager at Empress Hotel, responded to this review, June 13, 2011
Dear Traveler,

I find that some of the best places are found when you stumble upon them. We are always pleased when new guests come stay with us and share their positive feedback with the community . It was our pleasure to have you and your family as our guests. Thank you for your kind words. We hope you will return and stay with us again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Long Branch, New Jersey
Reviewed June 10, 2011

First off I just wanna say this is the best hotel ever. Even though I do live 30 mins away The staff is nice and friendly and makes you feel warmed and welcomed. I wish they would put Microwaves in the rooms and a small fridge .... Sometimes I also wished that the rooms during in season weren't as expensive ...Also I wonder if the pool water is changed... If they make good money at the hotel I would think they would fix the swimming pool. This place is mixed with some str8s but over roll I do plan on returning ..... also they should start having free breakfast like most places...

Room Tip: excellent place to party it up
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Dear traveler,

We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. We strive to make our guests feel welcome . Our suites and deluxe rooms do offer extra amenities, such as microwaves and /or refriderators. We also do offer mini fridges for a small fee. Complimentary continental breakfast is offered on Saturday and Sunday mornings. I was unaware of any issue with the pool, I will look into that and address them according.

Again Thank you for your positive feedback and we hope to have you back as our guest soon.
New York City, New York
Reviewed May 31, 2011

From the minute you check in it's all about you. I attribute the pleasant staff members who obviously like their jobs, get along with each other & make you feel comfortable whether you're staying at the hotel or not to a great management team.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Dear Traveler,

Thank you for you kind words. We are a small staff with an active Owner and management team. We take pride in our job and try to treat all guests as we would like to be treated.
Your postive review is appricated and we hope to see you soon.
new york
Reviewed May 28, 2011

I went with a friend and we had a blast. The hotel was clean, the staff friendly and in a great location. We were having such a great time that we stayed an extra night! It is a very laid back place across the street from the boardwalk. We had a really nice time hanging out at the pool, the other people staying there were very friendly, we actually ended up going out to dinner with another group of guys. It is a mixed crowd of people, both young and older, gay and straight. We are gay and felt incredibly comfortable, which isn't always the case down the shore. We are headed back this month!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Fayetteville, NC
Reviewed May 15, 2011

I will say if you are planning to go to a concert at the Stone Pony - this is the best place to be. Right across the street from the boardwalk and have to say overall pretty impressed by the room. I wasn't raving that you are staying at a Westin - but for a MOTEL by the ocean it was kept pretty nice and our room was overall clean. I want to warn everyone who is going to the shore for a nice quiet evening....this is not the place to be. The night club goes loud and hard until early hours and the walls are paper thin. Best place to be if your there to party at the hotels clubs or going to a concert. Also, if you have kids - stay somewhere else....the evening time brings in a very interesting group of people and if you aren't aware that Asbury Park is famous for their alternative lifestyle community - you would know it in the evening as the two clubs downstairs are the premier gay hots pots on the boardwalk. Price is pretty high - but it's the shore and it's the only option right next door to the summer stage....location = convenience = great opportunity for Empress owner.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Flemington, New Jersey
Reviewed April 25, 2011

We stayed at the Empress only because the Berkeley was booked. We've stayed at the Berkeley before and really enjoyed it. With the Empress having better reviews, I assumed it would be nice. I am still trying to figure out why the Empress has a higher rating... The location is fantastic; we had a nice view of the ocean and casino. Also, the lobby is pretty cool looking. That's about it in terms of "pros."

The room itself was pretty small and generic looking and the bathroom, also small and cramped, seemed pretty outdated. Our stay was pretty mediocre and nothing to really complain about until maybe 2am when we started hearing a man, clearly drunk, screaming profanities in the hallway. The screaming continued for a few minutes, and then the guy started pounding on people's doors, apparently looking for a fight. I tried to call the front desk and our phone was completely dead, wouldn't work at all. We could hear this guy and his friends yelling, screaming profanities and carrying on for at least an hour, and nobody did anything about it. We actually considered leaving, but I was literally afraid to step outside.

In short, the hotel itself is very average. It's overpriced, nothing special except for the location. The clientele is what ruined it for me-- psycho drunken TRASH. I

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Seven12
Jersey City, New Jersey
Reviewed March 29, 2011

Location is fantastic. Boardwalk in front of the hotel, gay beach a couple of blocks away, lots of restaurants within walking distance. If you're looking for 5 star..your at the wrong place, if you're looking for a fun (gay) comfortable and clean place to stay, this is your place. Considering what your alternatives are at the Jersey Shore, this is #1. The Jersey Shore is never cheap, its seasonal, but considering other places are just as much money and don't offer as much, this place is a find. Great staff, ok food, great fun bar/disco, which admission is included if you are staying there and a fun pool crowd. Beaches are clean/pristine and nicely populated, not over populated. Expect less and you'll be pleasantly satisfied, expect too much and you might get disappointed. Its the Jersey Shore, not the Ritz Carlton...

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Hotel Tides
Hotel Tides
#3 of 6 in Asbury Park
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites West Long Branch
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suit...
#1 of 3 in West Long Branch
Holiday Inn Express Neptune
Bungalow Hotel
Bungalow Hotel
#2 of 4 in Long Branch

Been to Empress Hotel? Share your experiences!