“Not what we expected”

Toast
Ranked #15 of 120 Restaurants in Asbury Park
Cuisines: American, Cafe, Healthy
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Brunch, Highchairs Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Only Open for breakfast & brunch
Old Bridge, New Jersey
“Not what we expected”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2012

I was really looking forward to Toast closer to home in Asbury Park, and sadly it did not live up to any of our expectations!
First, we were a large party of 6, but since they do not take reservations, we figured we would have a wait. We were told half an hour, which turned into an hour and a half. When we did receive the table, it had been one that was empty from the moment we had arrived! I asked the hostess why did we get this table after such a long wait, since it had been open all along. Her answer made sense, that they were short servers. And we would of all been ok with that but things just did not get better. Our server was friendly but it just didn't cut it. We did not have cutlery for a bit, we had to stir our coffees with straws, even when the server saw this. A second order of coffee came after we had finished our meals.
Now for the food..........a major disappointment!
I had the Irish Eggs Benedict, which server highly recommended......corned beef hash was dried out, potatoes were burnt, eggs were ok. One of my friends had the stuffed bananas foster french toast- nothing to write home about, just a french toast with maple syrup and bananas on side. Hubby had a simple sunny side up eggs with bacon,again, not impressive except for bacon not being crispy at all. The pancakes two of our friends ordered, again, nothing impressive, they were actually a bit overdone. Another friend ordered the PoBoy, he felt it lacking of any flavours. Maybe my expectations of this place was just too high, but the whole party that I was with also felt that it did not hold up. I am not a true fan of diners, but I would of had a better and much quicker meal. We all enjoy great foods, and none of us would of minded the very long wait if when food arrived it was fresh and tasty.
As you can see from my many reviews, I normally am not one to complain but this was such a terrible experience! In my opinion, the food was nothing to wait for such a long time and we all felt that we would not come back.

• Visited January 2012
1 Thank Maria C

Ocean Grove, New Jersey
“Great breakfasts!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2011

I always get the huerves rancheros which is excellent. My friends and family have chosen the eggs benedict,the stuffed french toast,the french taost with fruit and the nutella french toast. Everyone has been pleased with their meals. My only hesitation is adding to the weekend lines by a good review!

Visited December 2011
1 Thank nanog
new jersey
“Great place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2011

My husband and I had breakfast here and it was great. The food is all really fresh and the breakfast menu had alot of great choices. More than just the usual breakfast fare!

Visited December 2011
2 Thank jerseygirl424
Asbury Park, New Jersey
“Best breakfast in Asbury Park”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2011

I stopped in to Toast to give it a try. I can't beleive how good it was. The service was great, and their coffee was even better. I know where my breakfast spot will be next summer.

Visited November 2011
3 Thank greglaplaca
asbury park, new jersey
“A Nice Comfortable & Tasty Breakfast”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2011

Toast is a great place for breakfast with lots of options. We enjoyed the eggs Benedict and the Nutella French toast-although there wasn't nearly enough Nutella. The service was efficient and friendly. Toast is a very nice addition to the Cookman area in Asbury Park. We loved it and have been back a couple more times. The location is where "The Market" used to be next door to Brickwall Tavern.

• Visited August 2011