“This place would never last in the city.”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Cubacan

Cubacan
Reserve with OpenTable
Cubacan is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #43 of 120 Restaurants in Asbury Park
Cuisines: Caribbean, Latin, Spanish, Cuban
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic, Bar scene, Scenic view
Dining options: Drinks, Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: New restaurant, maybe March or April of 2011
“This place would never last in the city.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2012

Due to the number of us we were forced into a fixed menu. I paid $95 dollars to eat prefrozen calamari, dry rice and beans, and there was a fruitfly on the salad. So disappointed, it's been days and its still bothering me how much I paid for such a horrible eating experience. $95 dollars each.... really??

Freehold, New Jersey
“Nice Atmosphere but too Expensive for Bland Food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

The decor in this place is very nice and they have outside seating right on the the boardwalk so I understand this is what you are paying for but I still thought the food would have been better.
My friend and I each had 2 mojitos, first round was great the second round tasted weird, but hey its a mojito so we drank up and still enjoyed ourselves. We had the plantain and guacamole appetizer that came with 3 plantain chips ( really?) we asked for more, the guacamole was average. I had the garlic shrimp and my friend had the red snapper, the meals were bland, maybe we had high expectations but for $150 plus tip for the average, disinterested service I think I will pass on Cubacan next time. Stella Marina and Moonstruck are both better choices in my opinion.

• Visited September 2012
NEWARK, NJ
“For fools with money who want to leave hungry!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2012

We went here looking to see what Asbury Park had to offer. We walked around the Boardwalk tried a Korean taco at MOGO which was delicious but wanted to have a sit down meal with cocktails. We checked numerous locations and settled on this restaurant since you could sit outside on the boardwalk and watch the ocean. I ordered a Mojito which was delicious, We ordered a special app guacamole which was disappointing, it came with five plaintain strips which were not enough to eat all the guacamole so we asked some more. When the waitress indicated that it would cost and additional $2.95 I knew things would go down hill from there. We had already ordered our entrees, both of which were almost $30 a piece so the idea of being charged extra for a few chips was a real turn off.

When our entrees arrived we realized that we had made a mistake. Yes the food was delicious but the portions were unbelievable small. My boyfriend had the Chilean Sea Bass which was the size of Sunny!!! My dish the Red Snapper was a little bigger but not much. We were so disappointed that we decided against dessert. When we got the check it was over $120 DOLLARS!!! In this economy that is a lot of money to spend on a meal for two that you leave hungry!!

• Visited August 2012
The Jersey Shore
“Not authentic”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012 via mobile

Great location on the boardwalk but overall my visit fell short. The service was decent but I found the food bland and not authentic. I think they are trying to make Cuban food trendy and it doesn't work. Tried the chorizo appetizer, it is served on some kind of lack luster tomato sauce. The ropa vieja was bland as was the morros (rice and beans), the morros was surrounded by a balsamic glaze, yuk! I think they tried to make the dish look pretty but it totally ruined the taste of the morros and does not work! And finally the tostones were not salted and were served with some fancy sauce and not the usual garlic mojo. I would say go for the location, have a cocktail and hit some other place for dinner. If you are set on Cuban food for dinner, head to Freehold or the Highlands or go up north to Elizabeth or Union City.

North Brunswick, New Jersey
“Great location and atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2012

I had lunch at Cubican with a friend. The staff was very conscientious and friendly. Our food took a bit long to arrive, but our server took care of us and checked in with an update on a regular basis.

The restaurant has a great atmosphere with inside, outside and roof top seating. The outside seating overlooks the Boardwalk and the ocean. The bar area is also very popular and caters for larger groups and events as well.

The food was well presented and very tasty. I would recommend this restaurant to my friends.

• Visited September 2012