“La sandía está deliciosa”
Review of Cubacan

Cubacan
Reserve with OpenTable
Cubacan is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #40 of 121 Restaurants in Asbury Park
Cuisines: Cuban
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: New restaurant, maybe March or April of 2011
Lambertville, New Jersey
“La sandía está deliciosa”
Reviewed September 14, 2012

A hidden gem on the boardwalk in Asbury Park provided a delightful meal following a day of sun and fun. My husband and I were torn between the tapas selections and entrees, so went with both. We shared a delicious cheese appetizer plate, including a wonderful manchego. It paired well with our pitcher of sangria. For dinner I chose the Camarones al Ajillo, spicy shrimp sautéed in garlic, olive oil & saffron with a touch of marsala wine. That came with white rice and black beans. It was as delicious as the description would lead you to believe. My husband had the sea bass special, very fresh and served with a fruit salsa. The menu had lots of interesting desserts and drinks too. Loved our meal here, and would heartily recommend Cubacan.

Hoboken, New Jersey
“Good drinks decent food”
Reviewed September 9, 2012

I was excited to try Cubacan as it was recommended to me by some friends. I have to say I was not a huge fan. The atmosphere was great and the drinks delicious, but I wasn't impressed with the food. It was OK. I really think its too pricey for just OK food. I happen to like little bit of Cuba 2 in Freehold better.

• Visited July 2012
Franklin Park, New Jersey
“would give it 3.5 stars. Not spicy enough to my surprise”
Reviewed September 5, 2012

First, the place has personality. It was Saturday night and there was a Latin band playing by the bar with people dancing. That's always good in my book.

Waitress was nice and attentive. Food was good - could be better though. We ordered the roasted jalapeno guacamole but it tasted like normal guac. It was served with homemade plantain chips which were great.

Cuban sandwich was average.

Then we shared the Mariscada. It was like Paella but with red sauce and no sausage. The menu and the waitress said it was spicy but we didn't think so at all. It was good but could have been more flavorful and spicy.

Got two desserts: The Tres Leches cake and the Belgium chocolate pudding with spice. Cake was tasty. The pudding was almost frozen. As it softened, it got better. We thought it would have been great if it was warmed first then served with the coconut ice cream.

Drinks were homemade cocktails that were ok.

Overall it was a good experience. Ambiance was cool. Food good. Price a little high but overall what we expected.

We would go back but would be careful to ask for extra spice.

Oakhurst, nj
“Good Food Service OK”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Went with a group of 6 for dinner. The Server lacked personality. The food was very good. The Sangria was average. Would try it again.

Visited March 2012
New Jersey
“Nice ambiance”
Reviewed September 3, 2012

Since it was a beautiful Labor Day weekend- Saturday, we decided to take a random ride to the shore and wound up at Cubacan. We sat outside and took in the great atmosphere. We started with:
Not traditional Cuban bread but good with butter that was slightly sweet- turns out it has a hint of guava.
Traditional Cuban soup- it reminded me of my mom's cooking-this was hearty and flavorful.
Rum cured salmon, citrus, jicama & cucumber ceviche-excellent, I really enjoyed it.
Cuban grilled sea bass with white rice & black beans-very good but the fish could have used a tad more seasoning.
Pan roasted red snapper with black rice & coconut cumin sauce- Great dish. I had it with white rice and black bean soup. I must say I was disappointed in the rice, it seemed like more of an Uncle Ben's then traditional white Cuban rice. The beans were ok, not the best I have tasted. The flavored mojitos were good.
For dessert we shared the tres leche cake. The sauce was outstanding- good thing because even though the cake was good, it was slightly dry and needed this delicious sauce to make it shine.
Overall, we enjoyed it, especially the ambiance. Being Cuban, I thought some dishes were priced well for what they served and some dishes were overpriced. But then again a view of the ocean doesn't come cheap.
Buen provecho!