“. . . and then some”
Review of Asbury Park Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Asbury Park
Asbury Park Inn
Ranked #1 of 4 Asbury Park B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 25, 2012

Betsy & Chip I want to thank you for your gracious hospitality during my recent 3 day visit. This was my first time at a B&B, so I wasn't sure what to expect. You delivered everything you advertised and THEN SOME! I wanted to attend the Bamboozle Festival and threw the dice five months ago on where to stay. I must say I lucked out on that one. From the first reservation phone call to check out you were extremely helpful. Loved the information book at check in about the inn, Asbury Park and the maps. The room and bath were both clean and spacious. The location to the festival and other activities was perfect, close enough to walk, far enough for peace. The bikes were also great for just cruising the boardwalk. I am admittedly a foodie and not shy when it comes to chow but you raised the ante on that. The variety of choices could please any palate. I of course had to try them all! You said the portions were generous and that is simply the truth. Chip is a great chef - every morning I was so eager to have breakfast and see what he had prepared. But first I would have one of Betsy's warm homemade muffins with homemade jam. The only thing missing was a scoop of vanilla ice cream! I must confess the "afternoon snack tray" was the clincher in the ad. What a beautiful tray loaded with a variety of fruit, nuts, cheeses, crackers, and chocolate each afternoon - again very tasty and generous. Both the front porch and court yard had ample seating and lovely flowers/landscaping to enjoy. If I or anyone I know ever travels near Asbury Park I have the scoop on the best stay in town.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank 4me2havefun
AsburyOceanBeachInn, Owner at Asbury Park Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2012

Dear M,

Thank you so very much for your detailed and enthusiastic review. it was our absolute pleasure to have you stay with us. We enjoyed your spirited descriptions of the concert and loved the fact that you really had a good time in Asbury Park. We hope you can visit us again sometime in the future. Email ahead and tell us what kind of muffins you would like for breakfast!

Best, Betsy + Chip

Reviewed April 15, 2012

First, Betsy & Chip... thank you, thank you. I want to say this was our first stay at a B&B and we really enjoyed it! It was perfection!!! From my first phone call to AOBI to our check out was wonderful. I was pleasantly surprised that even though I called late in the week we were able to get a reservation for Sat. night!! It is a great thing that we did not have to stay the usual minimum like other places since our work schedules don't always allow for more than 1 night. The house is so tastefully decorated and inviting, just beautiful. We stayed in the top floor (Crest Suite) which is so much larger than it looked online. The room has so many beautiful furnishings all so well planned... I wish I had the knack for doing that... !!! We loved the afternoon snack tray... all of my favorites and beautifully presented. Breakfast was superior... I consider myself a bit of a foodie.... and was blown away....BY FAR ... THE BEST BREAKFAST I have ever eaten... we were so full but did not want to stop. The yogurt with walnuts, OMG.... yum...omlette.... to die for... (Chip, I don't know what you do to those eggs but, keep on doing it!) the breakfast pizza was awesome and the muffin (which I ate on the car ride home was great) Thank you both for being so warm and inviting and helping us out with the bikes, we had a great time! We will certainly be back! Thanks again! I recommend this place to anyone looking for some relaxation and a great breakfast and fantastic inn keepers!

Room Tip: I feel like the crest suite would be the most private.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
AsburyOceanBeachInn, Owner at Asbury Park Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2012

Dear S,

Thank you for your enthusiastic review. We enjoyed having you and your husband stay with us and look forward to your next visit. It was particularity fun to see how much you enjoyed your bike ride.
We are so glad you liked the breakfast and afternoon trays.

Best wishes and thank you again.
Betsy + Chip

Reviewed March 26, 2012

My first trip advisor review! This absolutely charming B&B right near the beach has equally charming hosts! I was there for the weekend of the Garden State Film Festival in Asbury Park and am looking forward to coming back in the summer with my husband when the area is really hopping. The room I was in was spacious (was actually a bedroom with an attached sitting room, something i've never seen in a B&B). Everything was spotless with lots of extra touches. They brought me a HUGE tray of homemade snacks when i arrived, too.

Room Tip: Not sure if they all have the sitting rooms, but it was a really nice perk.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank njtrav22
AsburyOceanBeachInn, Owner at Asbury Park Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2012

We are so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. All of our suites have sitting areas which are a significant part of how we designed our rooms. We want our guests to have the ability to experience comfort, spaciousness and privacy when desired. We look forward to having you visit us during the summer. Your tray of treats will be waiting:) Thank you for your thoughtful review. Betsy + Chip

Reviewed March 22, 2012

My fiance & I spent 2 nights at AOBI- the night beofre our wedding, and our wedding night. I don't know how I could say enough great things about Chip, Betsy & the AOBI. The Inn itself was so pretty, and fun finds everywhere you look- from their cats to the decor. Wonderful tray of snacks in the afternoon, and the breakfast was phenominal! So much food, couldn't possibly finish it all! Chip is an amazing chef- both tatse & presentation were top notch! Betsy couldn't be sweeter and kept checking with us to see if we needed anything, and to make sure our stay was pleasant & comfortable. They didn't even mind my sister (wedding photographer) the make-up artist, the videographer & two of my friends taking over our suite & the inn for pictures.... and what a beautiful setting. We stayed in the Crest Suite, and rented the Harbor Suite for our officiant & his wife who are good firneds of ours. They even rearranged a little & put our tables together in the morning for breakfast for 4. They said we could choose books from the library & send them back by mail if we havn't finished them before we leave. A very short walk to the boardwalk... what more could you ask for?!?! I highly recommend the Asbury Ocean Beach Inn! We LOVED it!!!!

Room Tip: If you're able to climb stairs, the crest suite was amazing!! The harbor suite was beautiful to...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank missboarder
AsburyOceanBeachInn, Owner at Asbury Park Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2012

Dear C, We are thrilled you two enjoyed your stay with us. It was our absolute pleasure to host you for your wedding. Your enthusiasm was infectious and what a gorgeous bride you were! We loved every second of your visit and would love to have you stay with us again. We wish you so much happiness and health in your new life together. Betsy + Chip

Reviewed March 3, 2012

My husband's dream was to attend the famous Light of Day music benefit in Asbury Park, take in the Jersey Shore music scene, and hope for a Bruce sighting. The fact that LOD was in January in NJ was a bit daunting in terms of uncertain winter travel from our home on eastern Long Island, but he looked for accommodation reviews on Trip Advisor, booked the Asbury Ocean Beach Inn, and hoped for no snow.

Instead we got some of the coldest, windiest weather of the winter. But no matter, the genuine, all-enveloping warmth we experienced--from the moment he received the thorough and welcoming email reservation confirmation, through the moment we reluctantly left proprietors Betsy and Chip to return home after an amazing weekend--overcame the single digit wind chill.

It is obvious that EVERYTHING about the AOBI has been designed to create comfort, ambience, tranquility, and beauty--for all the senses. The public and private rooms are exquisitely decorated...but are not cutesy-frilly (which we hate). Betsy has imprinted them with her style--they are beautiful and comfortable, and envelop you with a sense of peace and contentment. There are bold colors, books, art, and flowers everywhere you look--just a delight.

We stayed in the Harbor Suite, one of the smaller suites of rooms, but certainly spacious enough for two. We loved the decor of crisp white walls (one lined with well-stocked book shells and Chinese import blue and white porcelains). The bed was high and fluffy with high-thread count linens and a gorgeous duvet cover in red, white, and navy florals that beautifully set off the porcelains and white walls. The adjoining sitting room had a plush khaki covered day bed lined with tons of cushy red and navy pillows, a white trunk coffee table, a side chair, reading lamp, small TV, and refrigerator. It was perfectly appointed and so relaxing.

The private bathroom is outside the room, but is literally a step away, and set apart from the main hallway, in an alcove so that privacy is assured. It is small, with a shower, but it had every amenity needed and so much charm with exposed brick wall and lovely art.

Every afternoon, Chip and Betsy delivered a snack tray with ice water, goblets, a beautifully designed fruit plate, pretzel chips or crackers, cheese or a dip, and chocolates or nuts. And it's not a tiny repast...you could make a meal of it. The fridge is stocked with bottled water as well...at no charge.

Speaking of food, as many reviewers have mentioned, Chip's breakfast is amazing. You order the night before from an extensive menu (this is hot, made to order gourmet food, not a cute B&B muffin basket that leaves you hungry in an hour), say what time you will be dining the next morning, and when you enter the lovely dining room, Betsy is waiting with coffee or tea, a warm smile, and you're settled in for a treat. The omelets are like nothing I've ever had that was called an omelet. They really need their own special name. Even over-easy eggs had Chip's special twist. I don't know what he did, but they were great! My husband is a vegetarian and said that the special meat-free sausage Chip served was so far past the typical processed food soy-sausage that he was tempted to order seconds.

We met a family from the UK at breakfast and found they, too were music lovers and Springsteen fans. We had great conversations, kept up a correspondence, and will be meeting up with them again at next year's LOD when we all stay at the AOBI. That's the kind of magic that seems to happen here.

The Inn is just a couple of blocks from the boardwalk, a few more blocks to the Stone Pony, and about 8 blocks to the Paramount and Convention Center. When we asked Betsy how far it was to the Paramount Theatre (we didn't mind the walk as we were warmly dressed in down coats). she told us, and then knowing that the concert would end about 1 am, with the temperature in the teens, she suggested that we call her and she would pick us up so we didn't freeze walking back! We insisted that wasn't necessary; she insisted that it was. We did end up walking back on our own (at nearly 2 am, but we were on a high from a great show that ended with a "surprise" 2-hour Springsteen set!), and were gently chided in the morning as Betsy said, "Why didn't you call? I would happily have picked you up. We often do that for guests!" Wow.

We can't say enough about our experience...and I'm sure there is much I've left out. We can't wait to go back. The Asbury Ocean Beach Inn feels like home, with none of the work or stress, but all of the love!

Room Tip: The Harbor Suite is beautiful--a little gem. Got a little too warm for sleeping (we like a cool room...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
AsburyOceanBeachInn, Owner at Asbury Park Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2012

Thank you D + D for your generous review. We thoroughly enjoyed having you stay with us and look forward to your visit next year. Thank you for bringing the need for something to block the morning sun to our attention. We will be installing shades asap. Sincerely, Betsy + Chip

Reviewed January 18, 2012

Once again Betsy and Chip proved themselves to be the most gracious and accommodating of hosts. After we had to reschedule a NY's Eve trip to MLK weekend, there was a snafu with our res and they did everything to ensure we still had a wonderful weekend. And we did! You already know about Betsy and Chip, the wonderful food and beautifully restored home. Now you can learn about the cute and quirky Carriage House. How sweet is this place? A cozy somewhat l-shaped studio with brightly colored comfy furnishings (a down covered double bed and a sleep sofa) and mini kitchen with toaster-oven, microwave, and coffee maker, a cozy toilet/shower room. We holed up with wine and cheese and the Golden Globes. We were comfy and warm and thoroughly enjoyed the quiet carriage house and felt like we were right on the beach. We do plan to come back again, and again, and again. We are smitten!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank DanaSquared
Reviewed December 19, 2011

This is by far the best guest experience available, anywhere. I have stayed in hotels in dozens of countries on 4 continents, and seen the pointlessly opulent excess of your typical 4-star digs, but never have I had the pleasure of staying somewhere so thoroughly well thought out and lovingly run as the Inn.

From the delicious (and, brilliantly, seasonally-appropriate) smells which greets you when you first enter, to the cultivated art and book selection, to what seems the smallest detail in decor and lighting, I believe that every aspect of this hotel was tenderly crafted and then scientifically engineered to produce the best possible feelings of welcome, comfort, and satisfaction.

There can only be one explanation for such care and subtle distinctions as are found here, and that is plain as day from the moment you set foot in the Asbury Ocean Beach Inn - its proprietors, Betsy and Chip, are the magic ingredient.

At the outset of this historic endeavor in the storied and exalted history of hospitality, they must have turned inwards on some sort of modern vision quest, and, pressing through the profound mysteries of the nature of the human sense of place, our ability to distinguish between "self" and "others", and grappling with their own struggles to finally derive a single, unified theory of aesthetics, the culinary arts, and philosophy, finally emerged on the other side of the looking glass, victorious, burning with the fire of a wisdom newly stolen from prometheus on behalf of mankind: a perspective which would allow them to create a place of almost unfathomable precision, a place which will fit you the way a key fits a lock.

It seems their sense of service stems from a deep well of sincere pleasure in caring for others who are far from home. We were several hours late, yet - arriving at 1am - we were graciously received and attended to. I was completely blown away by the "fruit art" brought to our room every day and the numerous conveniences present to help us make the most of our stay. However, I'll leave exploring the remaining abundant examples as an exercise to you, the next guest at this superlative establishment. You made the right choice to stay here (surely you did, didn't you?).

Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank S G
AsburyOceanBeachInn, Owner at Asbury Park Inn, responded to this reviewResponded December 21, 2011

Dear Stephen,

We are deeply grateful for your detailed review.

Your thoughtful comments are so appreciated and
mean a great deal to us. Thank you also for recognizing
the time, care and attention to detail we have taken in creating
the Asbury Ocean Beach Inn. Our guests' comfort and enjoyment
are paramount.

Although you live far away we do hope you two can visit
us again the near future.

Thank you again and best wishes for a Happy and Healthy New Year.

Betsy & Chip

Hotel Tides
#4 of 6 in Asbury Park
Hampton Inn Neptune/Wall
Holiday Inn Express Neptune

Been to Asbury Park Inn? Share your experiences!