Paranormal Books and Curiosities
Excellent Ghost and History Tour

Reviewed October 7, 2018
Heidi D
Lambertville, New Jersey
Incredibly interesting and super knowledgeable tour guide Kathy

Reviewed September 15, 2018
Sariena C
via mobile

All reviews ghost tour walking tour kathy bookstore investigation artifacts shop stories haunting sightings collection intelligent topic nj boardwalk bars
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

After a half-hour museum tour, I walked away disappointed. According to their website, there are exhibits to see and it seems a thorough collection will be present. We heard a handful of stories from a guide and every story was flat. Skip this and go to the boardwalk!

ParanormalAP, Owner at Paranormal Books and Curiosities, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Hi- thanks for visiting! I am so disappointed hat we didn’t live up to your expectations. If you are open to it, I would love to hear more about your experience and what we could do better. My email is kathy@paranormalbooksnj.com. While our space is only 1100 sq ft, we do have more than 100 artifacts on display- perhaps we need to figure out a way to make people more aware of them. Please feel free to contact me to discuss! Thanks again for the visit and I hope we get another chance!

Reviewed October 7, 2018

Kathy Kelly, a resident and paranormal expert, conceived of the Asbury Ghost tour after being contacted by residents describing experiences that could only be chalked up to paranormal activity. We took the down town tour (there is also a boardwalk version), which took us in a small area of the central down town. Our tour leader had clearly led these tour before, and was informative about Asbury's history and several documented "residual" and "intelligent" hauntings, taking place in buildings that currently house trendy restaurants, bars and apartments. The two ran for about 2 hours and we had several stops. We've been on similar tours in New Hope, Harper's Ferry and other older areas, and this provided a similar degree of authenticity. I can't say that you'll be scared -- it was more a historically based accounting of sightings -- but you will learn a lot about the area's sightings. Appropriate for all ages, and while walking is involved it is not strenuous and does not cover much area. Be sure to also visit the bookstore, which has an interesting selection of items.

Reviewed September 15, 2018 via mobile

After many years of visiting Asbury Park, we finally took the museum tour today at 12:30. We’ve been on ghost walks, have traveled to many weird NJ stops and roadside attractions over 20 years and this was the most interesting and informative for me. I have been learning about the paranormal since I was 12 (I am now 42), and learned things I didn’t know from Kathy in a super interesting tour which included many artifacts, stories that lay the groundwork for modern study and cultural tropes, and a skillful weaving of the paranormal and world history. Kathy is very passionate and has been studying various phenomena and conducting investigations for 30 years. and it shows. Upon exiting the tour I asked for recommendations for books on my areas of interest and she patiently shared her picks. Well worth your time to browse and support the shop and take the tour if you’re interested in any of these topics. Loved it!

Reviewed June 17, 2018 via mobile

Tourguide/Owner Kathy (Cathy)--also a history professor at Monmouth--gave a interesting & informative presentation, during a candle-lit walking tour of almost 2 hours. While the low light added to the setting, I'll be going back during business hours to get more of a look, and certainly do some shopping. Clearly, she knows her stuff but retains the skepticism needed for research. My group and I enjoyed it.

ParanormalAP, Owner at Paranormal Books and Curiosities, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2018

Thank you so much!

Reviewed April 23, 2018 via mobile

My best friend and I went through the museum tour with Kathy as the tour guide. She explained everything amazing and made the tour very spooky. While explaining about the cursed doll Tina,
my best friend and the guy standing next to her both heard a faint laughing of a child. Which is truly spooky in my opinion. Also we both got a psychic reading from the psychic at the shop, unfortunately I forget her name. Anyway she was spot on about my past and present. There was a thing that she said to me that I have never told anyone before that she knew. This shop is truly amazing it’s a must see even if you don’t believe in anything magical!

1  Thank Lexi J
Reviewed February 5, 2018

I don't know anything about the Ghost Tours but as far as visiting the store we were not impressed. They have a great book selection but that is about it.

I am so sorry we disappointed you! Hopefully you will give us another chance as we were just getting opened in February after a long hiatus!

Reviewed August 26, 2017 via mobile

Paranormal Books and Curiosities is an amazing store/museum, filled with fun, unique products, hard to find books and will provide an experience you won't soon forget! They also offer a bunch of great tours around Asbury (asburyparktourcompany.com)!

The store opened up in 2009 (or 2008?) and has been a staple business from the very start of APs unbelievable revitalization. The owner Kathy and her team of historians, paranormal experts and psychics offer a variety of services. I started going into the store when if first opened and am always sure to take any friends and family there when they come into town and want to visit Asbury.

I also use them for their corporate tours! Kathy customized a Downtown tour for us recently that included local historical info, ghost legends/stories and some history on Asbury's rich music history. Everyone in our group of about 15 had a great time (it didn't hurt that it was a beautiful day!) and want to have us sign up for the boardwalk tour next!

Reviewed February 13, 2017 via mobile

I look forward visiting AsburyPark and taking part in a Seance at Paranormal Books several times a year...Always an Awesome Evening...Kathy is great and has many events throughout the year... Can't wait for my next trip and Seance ❤

1  Thank 339Dee
Reviewed February 13, 2017

I've been coming to this museum/store for a few years and there is always something new to peruse. Their book selection is tremendous, and their items for sale are fun and unique. Where else can you walk out with a Sasquatch air freshener, Edgar Allen Poe mints, a book on seances, and Tillie drinking glasses?
The owner also throws special events throughout the year. This year I attended their Krampuslauf for the first time. It was one of the best days I had with my family all year. She pulled an entire community together for folklore and fun. I am continuously impressed with this place.
Right now they are in the process of moving next door to a bigger and better place. Can't wait to see what the new space holds!

1  Thank BrooklynSam
Reviewed February 11, 2017 via mobile

We drove over a hour to visit this bookshop, before coming I researched and their website says they are OPEN during their move- (they are relocating a few shops down) and we went there and there was a paper on the door saying CLOSED. We stopped in the store next to it and the lady explained alot of people have been coming thinking their opening because their website says open and they aren't... Owners, PLEASE UPDATE YOUR WEBSITE IF YOUR CLOSED to prevent other people making the trip to only find they are closed... :(

Hoping to re visit in the spring if and when they open... Will review then. But I feel its important to warn other people because their website makes it sound like they are open and they are not during the move and havn't updated their websites info :( BUMMER!

3  Thank Hgtravl