“"A breakfast buffet"- NOT!”
Review of Hotel Tides

Hotel Tides
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Asbury Park
New York City, New York
“"A breakfast buffet"- NOT!”
Reviewed September 26, 2010

This is a cute little boutique hotel in a shady neighborhood. The pool is gorgeous and open when other pools have already closed (late September), just lovely. It would benefit from being more heated but it's clean and so pretty otherwise. The rooms are small and a little dark with no chairs, but otherwise very nice. Our comforter had a big stain on it but the bed itself was quite comfortable. The staff was very nice, particularly when a gent carried my bags up and actually refused my tip! I've never had that happen. The one let-down with this hotel is that their literature says that they have a breakfast buffet. Hardly! I went downstairs during the time of the "buffet" and found no one there and flies swarming around some unappealing looking pastry rolls, a pot of coffee, and some yogurt/granola (the granola also open to the flies with no staff around). YUCK! I asked a worker when she returned if there were even any bagels or toast or boxes of cereal with milk and she said nope, this is it. This is not even a decent continental breakfast and could REALLY use some improvement, a "blip" in an otherwise clean, chic hotel experience.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JKS88

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
New York
Reviewed August 29, 2010

What a little quirky hotel. First, let me say that there are NO places to stay along this stretch of the Jersey shore that are more than 2 stars. So picking this hotel is not a bad choice. You drive up to it and it looks like an old boarding house with a big front porch. Asbury is a town that has been “trying to make a comeback” for at least 25 years. Parts of Asbury have come back—the small downtown is nice. However this hotel is NOT near the downtown, well it is within a long walk distance, but not in any area you would want to walk through. There isn’t an elevator that I saw, so off you go with your luggage up a very narrow staircase to the third floor. The rooms are small, nicely done. Clean and comfortable. Downside, no way to control temp in your room (but we had plenty of AC); really skimpy on towels, 2 bath, 2 washcloths; breakfast is pretty bad—with Cravings down the street in Allenhurst save your caloric intake for those awesome sweets—or go to Franks in Asbury for a true shore dining diner experience. The biggest problem, and one they can’t solve, is that because it is an old hotel the walls are paper-thin. Literally we heard a couple come in at 2am and could hear every word about their night out. And they were talking in normal tones. Also there isn’t a parking lot with this hotel so you have to park on the street. Said they had WIFI but never found it. Lower your expectations from some of the previous reviews, think of it more as a B and B, and you will enjoy your stay here.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Maria35
Middletown, New Jersey
Reviewed July 27, 2010

My friends and I do a quick 2 night trip every year..and Asbury Park and Hotel Tides did not let us down! From Ryan welcoming us as we entered to the quaint bar with Lisa serving the drinks and the fantastic food that should not be missed in the restaurant. The entire trip was just what we needed. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
BLOOMSBURG
Reviewed July 27, 2010

I've borrowed this review title from a lady that I met in the Hotel Tides garden, which pretty much sums up our experience at the Tides. Our favorite part of the stay was the people that we met, both the staff and guests. The atmosphere was relaxed, warm and inviting. We arrived in town a bit early, in the 1:00 range. Our room wasn't ready (we weren't expecting it to be) so we parked on the street. There is only street parking but we didn't have any trouble finding a spot on the lovely tree lined street and it was free. Having come prepared we headed off to the beach, just a few short blocks to walk. I wasn't sure what to expect from Asbury Park, as this was my first visit and I think it may have gotten a bad rap somewhere along the way. The beach was clean with easy access. It wasn't over crowded. Honestly, I thought it was great, better than some of the "down shore" Jersey beaches. Several hours into the 90 something degree day we headed back to the Hotel Tides to check in. We found our room to be spacious, clean, and nicely decorated with lots of natural light. I guess I was expecting a traditional hotel with blackout curtains. Since we like to kick up our heels a bit in the evening and then sleep a bit later (especially when traveling for leisure) I would have brought my eye mask had I known. After checking in we headed down to the pool to enjoy the rest of the afternoon before dinner. The pool area was much nicer than I expected. First of all there were no children in the pool area either Saturday or Sunday. It was really nice to enjoy a nice cocktail by the pool with only Adults around. I wouldn't want to imply that this isn't a family friendly establishment, but we did appreciate that there weren't any kids there on "our weekend". The pool hostess really took care of us. After a quick shower a cab was waiting for us in plenty of time for our dinner reservations. Later that evening guests were sitting on the big front porch and in the garden, sipping cocktails and chatting. It felt like coming home. Our Kind bed was tremendously comfortable and I slept like a dream (if only I had brought my eye mask - d'oh). I am sure that I will return someday. The Hotel Tides is a hidden gem, Foxy and Fabulous!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Colts Neck, New Jersey
Reviewed July 20, 2010

From the outside this looks like a lovely Jersey shore older home. You open the doors and are transported into a funky, cool, modern hotel that you'd expect in the meat packing district in NY. Staff is great - especially Brian. Nice little bar, great restaurant, beautiful pool with plenty of seating and bar service. Its three blocks to the beach and the boardwalk, and a short ride up to Pier Village if its a little too quiet in Asbury. Had no problem with street parking on a beautiful and blazing hot summer weekend. Rooms were very clean and beds were really comfy. Keep in mind this is not a Marriot. It's a converted home so rooms are on the small side very much like you'd find in downtown NY. Also, it is a residential neighborhood so if you're looking to party by the pool until the wee hours this wouldn't be the place. Complimentary breakfast at the bar in the am.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
San Francisco, California
Reviewed July 19, 2010

Nice stay here for Road Trip Weekend. Well appointed guest house with nice bar area in lobby. Comfortable rooms were small to share though. Pool area in back is very sunny. They had some reservation system problems when checking in.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 23, 2010

I have never left a review for any hotel, but this one was so fantastic that I had to share some stories.

Our reservation was for one night during the week, where we had planned to celebrate my girlfriend's birthday. With advance notice Dawn and Ryan were happy to accommodate an early 9am check-in. I made a request for Champagne and strawberries for the room and again it was all laid out in the room, even though the restaurant and bar were not open the day we checked in.

The room was well decorated with the a minimalist, clean and white motif. The bathroom was great with a nice large stone floored shower. The pool and pool area was large enough to accommodate a lot of guests, but since we were the only ones there we were able to take a nap and relax by the pool.

The hotel is also within walking distance to the beach. Which is a bonus for those who don't want to drive to the beach.

Then finally, as we were about to leave Ryan the hotel manager, gave us a call to check to see if we needed anything, since he was leaving for the night. He wasn't being intrusive or overly attentive, but he was genuinely concerned about our needs.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to everyone.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
#2 of 6 in Neptune
Cedars & Beeches
Cedars & Beeches
#3 of 4 in Long Branch

Been to Hotel Tides? Share your experiences!