“An Alternative Jersey Shore”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Tides

Hotel Tides
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Asbury Park
New York City, New York
“An Alternative Jersey Shore”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2011

My wife had a great stay at the Hotel Tides over the Memorial Day weekend. Our plan was a little bicycle tour of the Jersey Shore. Not the Jersey Shore of Snooki and crew as seen on TV and filmed in Seaside Heights. Instead we opted for an alternative Shore adventure. Taking the Seastreak ferry from Manhattan to Sandy Hook and then biking through the national park and relatively quiet towns of Sea Bright, Monmouth Beach, Long Branch, and Deal. Ultimately, the destination of our 18-mile ride would be Asbury Park and the Hotel Tides. We arrived at the Hotel Tides in the early afternoon. The hotel is well maintained and our king size room was clean, fresh, bright, airy, and tastefully decorated. After dumping off our gear we spent the afternoon lounging by the pool, enjoyed a tasty Mahi Mahi sandwich and a few cocktails. Before heading out for the evening my wife had a 1-hour massage. She said it was one of the best massages she has ever had. This is high praise coming from a physical therapist and frequent spa visitor. We spent our evening checking out Asbury Park. Dinner at the Brickwall Tavern then drinks and dancing at Asbury Lanes. Overall it was a great trip and would highly recommend the Hotel Tides.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Brooklyn_Voyageur

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
NJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2011

We stayed overnight for a short winter get away. The area around the hotel seems to be changing for the better and the hotel is a 2-block walk from the boardwalk and the ocean.

What I did like: the staff, hands down, are the best part of this hotel! They were all very friendly and welcoming. There is a restaurant at the hotel, and the food was delicious and a nice variety to the menu. The continental breakfast (included with the room) is a nice way to start the day.

What I didn't like: The rooms are quite small and there's no place to sit except on the bed. We could hear everyone who walked by our room, so the walls are on the thinner side. Parking is on the street.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank gkmt02
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2010

This is a cute little boutique hotel in a shady neighborhood. The pool is gorgeous and open when other pools have already closed (late September), just lovely. It would benefit from being more heated but it's clean and so pretty otherwise. The rooms are small and a little dark with no chairs, but otherwise very nice. Our comforter had a big stain on it but the bed itself was quite comfortable. The staff was very nice, particularly when a gent carried my bags up and actually refused my tip! I've never had that happen. The one let-down with this hotel is that their literature says that they have a breakfast buffet. Hardly! I went downstairs during the time of the "buffet" and found no one there and flies swarming around some unappealing looking pastry rolls, a pot of coffee, and some yogurt/granola (the granola also open to the flies with no staff around). YUCK! I asked a worker when she returned if there were even any bagels or toast or boxes of cereal with milk and she said nope, this is it. This is not even a decent continental breakfast and could REALLY use some improvement, a "blip" in an otherwise clean, chic hotel experience.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JKS88
New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2010

What a little quirky hotel. First, let me say that there are NO places to stay along this stretch of the Jersey shore that are more than 2 stars. So picking this hotel is not a bad choice. You drive up to it and it looks like an old boarding house with a big front porch. Asbury is a town that has been “trying to make a comeback” for at least 25 years. Parts of Asbury have come back—the small downtown is nice. However this hotel is NOT near the downtown, well it is within a long walk distance, but not in any area you would want to walk through. There isn’t an elevator that I saw, so off you go with your luggage up a very narrow staircase to the third floor. The rooms are small, nicely done. Clean and comfortable. Downside, no way to control temp in your room (but we had plenty of AC); really skimpy on towels, 2 bath, 2 washcloths; breakfast is pretty bad—with Cravings down the street in Allenhurst save your caloric intake for those awesome sweets—or go to Franks in Asbury for a true shore dining diner experience. The biggest problem, and one they can’t solve, is that because it is an old hotel the walls are paper-thin. Literally we heard a couple come in at 2am and could hear every word about their night out. And they were talking in normal tones. Also there isn’t a parking lot with this hotel so you have to park on the street. Said they had WIFI but never found it. Lower your expectations from some of the previous reviews, think of it more as a B and B, and you will enjoy your stay here.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Maria35
Middletown, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2010

My friends and I do a quick 2 night trip every year..and Asbury Park and Hotel Tides did not let us down! From Ryan welcoming us as we entered to the quaint bar with Lisa serving the drinks and the fantastic food that should not be missed in the restaurant. The entire trip was just what we needed. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
BLOOMSBURG
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2010

I've borrowed this review title from a lady that I met in the Hotel Tides garden, which pretty much sums up our experience at the Tides. Our favorite part of the stay was the people that we met, both the staff and guests. The atmosphere was relaxed, warm and inviting. We arrived in town a bit early, in the 1:00 range. Our room wasn't ready (we weren't expecting it to be) so we parked on the street. There is only street parking but we didn't have any trouble finding a spot on the lovely tree lined street and it was free. Having come prepared we headed off to the beach, just a few short blocks to walk. I wasn't sure what to expect from Asbury Park, as this was my first visit and I think it may have gotten a bad rap somewhere along the way. The beach was clean with easy access. It wasn't over crowded. Honestly, I thought it was great, better than some of the "down shore" Jersey beaches. Several hours into the 90 something degree day we headed back to the Hotel Tides to check in. We found our room to be spacious, clean, and nicely decorated with lots of natural light. I guess I was expecting a traditional hotel with blackout curtains. Since we like to kick up our heels a bit in the evening and then sleep a bit later (especially when traveling for leisure) I would have brought my eye mask had I known. After checking in we headed down to the pool to enjoy the rest of the afternoon before dinner. The pool area was much nicer than I expected. First of all there were no children in the pool area either Saturday or Sunday. It was really nice to enjoy a nice cocktail by the pool with only Adults around. I wouldn't want to imply that this isn't a family friendly establishment, but we did appreciate that there weren't any kids there on "our weekend". The pool hostess really took care of us. After a quick shower a cab was waiting for us in plenty of time for our dinner reservations. Later that evening guests were sitting on the big front porch and in the garden, sipping cocktails and chatting. It felt like coming home. Our Kind bed was tremendously comfortable and I slept like a dream (if only I had brought my eye mask - d'oh). I am sure that I will return someday. The Hotel Tides is a hidden gem, Foxy and Fabulous!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Colts Neck, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2010

From the outside this looks like a lovely Jersey shore older home. You open the doors and are transported into a funky, cool, modern hotel that you'd expect in the meat packing district in NY. Staff is great - especially Brian. Nice little bar, great restaurant, beautiful pool with plenty of seating and bar service. Its three blocks to the beach and the boardwalk, and a short ride up to Pier Village if its a little too quiet in Asbury. Had no problem with street parking on a beautiful and blazing hot summer weekend. Rooms were very clean and beds were really comfy. Keep in mind this is not a Marriot. It's a converted home so rooms are on the small side very much like you'd find in downtown NY. Also, it is a residential neighborhood so if you're looking to party by the pool until the wee hours this wouldn't be the place. Complimentary breakfast at the bar in the am.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Bungalow Hotel
Bungalow Hotel
#2 of 4 in Long Branch
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites West Long Branch
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suit...
#1 of 3 in West Long Branch

Been to Hotel Tides? Share your experiences!