“Forget your preconceived notions of a B & B”

Mikell's Big House B&B
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Asbury Park
Mikell's Big House B&B
Ranked #3 of 4 Asbury Park B&B and Inns
Hackensack, NJ
“Forget your preconceived notions of a B & B”
Reviewed July 28, 2009

I stayed at Mikell's for a weekend in July. It really is unlike any other B & B I've stayed at, and I've stayed at many. It's not frilly - it's funky, and that is its charm.

Mikell is a great source of info on what to do/eat/see in Asbury Park. She steered us to great places and warned us to avoid others.

I stayed in the suite, which was very spacious. I plan on staying in the suite every time I stay at Mikell's. I highly recommend this B & B.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
New Rochelle, NY
Reviewed July 20, 2009

We just came back from 2 (week day) nights at the Big House. The house is amazing. Funky, clean, fun, charming, and beautifully decorated. (No doileys -- thank goodness). The breakfast was delicious and plentiful. Mikell is a wealth of information for things to see and do in Asbury Park. Asbury Park has a come a long way recently. Great beach, fun boardwalk, fabulous restaurants, fireworks on Wednesday nights, friendly people...I highly recommend this B&B. You can't go wrong staying with Mikell and spending time in AP.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
New York
Reviewed November 11, 2008

My husband and I live in NYC and wanted a quick weekend getaway this summer but I am kind of terrified of B&Bs in general. A little poking on the internet and I discovered Mikell's Big House -- definitely not your average stuffy B&B!! Mikell is an extremely generous hostess and it really feels like you're staying with a friend you didn't know you had. The house is a traditional Victorian on the outside but mod and super hip inside. It's only two blocks from the beach so it's very convenient and an easy walk to the restaurants in downtown Asbury Park.

It's hard to describe what an unexpected great find this place is. One example: after we came back from the beach, Mikell brought out cold white wine and fresh guacamole and chips, which we devoured on the porch with her and some of her pals. The breakfast the next day was also amazing - fresh fruit, piles of bagels, and a decadent egg, sausage, and cheese casserole. She is a relaxed and easy hostess who is happy to chat but not at all intrusive or overbearing. Just makes you feel at home and seems happy to have you there enjoying her home and the beach.

I will definitely be going back to Mikell's Big House next summer!!!

• Liked — The food, the house and Mikell's fun personality
  • Disliked — Nothing -- I liked everything!
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
New York, New York
Reviewed September 2, 2008

Made a last minute decision to visit the Jersey Shore for the first time for Labor Day 2008. If my experience is any indication and if the level of service and quality keeps up, Mikell’s will likely be fully booked summer after summer. The house itself is beautiful and immaculate—I felt horrible at the idea of inevitably tracking sand in from the beach. My boyfriend – who allowed me to make plans without any advance knowledge on his part, was impressed and pleased. Before I found Mikell’s Big House I was afraid I’d have to choose between heavy floral design, which he wouldn’t like, or decoration that looked like a wood cabin – which I wouldn’t like. I’ve never stayed at a B&B, but spent a lot of time on the web to plan my trip. As you can tell from the Big House website (which is true to reality), this is not your typical B&B, and doesn’t want to be. Mikell is gracious and a lot of fun and really wants guests to enjoy their stay. The rooms are extra extra large – much bigger than the web pictures could show. And very tastefully decorated – funky, modern, yet I felt comfortable lounging around on the porch or the living room. I think of this as being an ideal b&B for anyone who is hip, or who is from the city, or who wants that kind of vibe.

• Liked — the quality of the house, rooms and bathrooms
  • Disliked — my only issue was that although there were healthy options for breakfast--fresh fruit & organic cereal, I did go for the sausage, bacon and croissant french toast
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
Red Roof Inn Neptune
Red Roof Inn Neptune
#2 of 6 in Neptune
Holiday Inn Express Neptune

Been to Mikell's Big House B&B? Share your experiences!