“Severely over-rated”

Cuisines: Latin
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed January 25, 2014

We booked this restaurant based on the excellent reviews on TripAdvisor and were terribly disappointed. We were the only people in the restaurant for the first half hour and it took that long to get a bottle of wine. Many of the wines on the list were not available. The waiter did not speak English and there was no English menu (I know that it is a Spanish country and I speak some Spanish but not enough to read their menu). My wife ended up with three of her least favourite things greasy-fried-chicken thighs. She ate barely a bite and the waiter made no comment. Also he did not pour any of the wine after the first pour.

There are newer reviews for Ambar

Reviewed January 16, 2014 via mobile

Seriously, is the best restaurant in Pereira, excellent food, world class..... extremely recommended....

Reviewed March 27, 2013

The subject line is true. If this restaurant were located in New York City or Washington, D.C., it would definitely be in the very top tier of the best restaurants. What makes Ambar stand apart are the following: an exceptionally creative international quality chef, first class food and presentation, the use of top quality, fresh local ingredients, an owner/chef who is constantly innovating and improving, a highly trained staff and excellent service, and a pleasant and welcoming atmosphere.

I have eaten here with my husband on several occasions and also with family members, and we have always been impressed with the the great dishes. Everything is good here, but we have especially enjoyed the fish entrees and the prawn appetizers. The new chicken breast entree is exceptionally good as well, as are the beef dishes. I could go on!

Unlike any other restaurant we have seen in Pereira, Ambar consistently attracts clients no matter the day of the week. For that reason, reservations are a good idea. Stongly recommended.

2  Thank DonaBetty
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Ambar is a restaurant located in one of the best neighborhoods of Pereira (Pinares), it is easy to find since it is over the main avenue that crosses Pinares. It has a bright and beautiful sign outside the building where it is located. Inside the restaurant, it is divided into two floors with different atmospheres. I like the decoration but I am not in love with it. I miss warm colors in general, and the colors used here are brown. As far as the service, Ambar has a lot to improve. Waiters are slow and don’t anticipate the needs of the customers. Generally I needed to ask for everything I wanted. Example, I ordered tartar for appetizer and the bread that you expect to come with it came after I had finished the tartar and I had to request the bread twice before I received it. You would think an elegant restaurant like this, wouldn’t be a good place to go with children: WRONG. To my surprise, I went with my family and two babies (3 year old, and 10 month-old) and they had high seats and facilitate our stay with them. Sometimes fancy restaurants forget about parents with children, and in this case, it was a PLUS and just for this I would always go back, so, yes, I can go and have a nice dinner with my husband and won’t feel guilty about leaving my children at home. And finally food: The menu offers A LOT of options, which is good. I think they definitely offer a good variety of international food. I have dinned in many restaurants around the world and it is good to see they have dishes on the menu you wouldn’t think you would find in Pereira, Colombia, but they do. However, portions aren’t very big and although the food is good you kind of have the feeling you didn’t have enough so you have to order other things. Prices are above average in the city. Although the type of food offered costs as much as they charge, sometimes, locals don’t go so much because it is pricy for the market. Overall, good place for elegant dinners, romantic dinners, work meals or guests. You can always go with guests, family members and even children. Needs to improve the quality of the service provided.

Reviewed February 4, 2013

Chef Panesso has proven with this restaurant that Pereira’s culinary experiences are just as good as any other international destination. After managing restaurants and being in the hospitality business for the past 15 years I found these place one of the most creative restaurants I have ever been to. Chef panesso is able to use local products on international dishes.
I had the carapaccio which was cooked on maracuya citric fluids. Panesso took this popular dish to the next level. I tried a salad and two of the entrees. The experience at Ambar was outstanding. Everything was perfect.
I haighly recommend this place is you are looking for an interesting gastronomic experience. Be ready to try a very creative menu and to learn about local products being used on difficult dishes that seem to only be mastered by French chefs

1  Thank Seabass305