“(Really) Spacious, Modern, and Clean All-Suites Hotel w/Superb Staff”

Holiday Inn Express Medellin
Ranked #28 of 107 Hotels in Medellin
Panama
“(Really) Spacious, Modern, and Clean All-Suites Hotel w/Superb Staff”
Reviewed March 31, 2010

The Holiday Inn Express in Medellin was the type of hotel you feel lucky to have discovered. This was my first time in Medellin, but I quickly discovered that El Poblado was the most upscale (as well as safe) neighborhood to be in. Within steps on the same street are older full service more 'luxury' hotels, plenty of shopping opportunities, and a variety of restaurants. Yet this Holiday Inn Express is finished to such a high standard, it does seem every bit as luxurious, and when word gets out, this place will be very competitively placed in the industry . The room interior is modern, very spacious, comfortable, and has a well thought out floor plan. I always like having a separate living room area and kitchenette in my hotel room, and for the price, this is a real find. My reservation was originally only for 2 nights, but I ended up staying for over a week. The hotel sits on a hill overlooking the city, and the views from my 15th floor room were very pleasant. The included breakfast buffet, enjoyed with panoramic views of the city from the 21st floor, is a beautifully maintained spread with plenty of variety.

They do not have room service, but there are several restaurants, a Burger King, and a Pastry/Coffee shop on the main floor of the building. Also, the restaurants deliver to the room, so its very close to room service.

They have other services I would expect to see in better quality hotels such as same day laundry, a free business center, and free wireless internet throughout the hotel. On top of that, the staff at the front desk is bilingual and the friendliest bunch of people you will come across in a hotel. Whenever I had questions or needed assistance, they impressed me over and over with personalized attention. They had the time, whatever it was that I needed, especially Adriana and Jessica. The rest of the staff was also very pleasant and always greeted me. There are a lot of people working hard to make this a great place to stay, and they won me over!

The one and only down side was the noise I could hear from the bar below the hotel, which was especially loud on Thursday and Friday night (I'm a very light sleeper.) The big gorgeous windows spanning the entire suite do have this one downside, but running the A/C helped diffuse the noise significantly. A room facing the south might be quieter. There were clubs throughout the El Poblado neighborhood, so the noise might be the same at the other hotels.

This hotel is newer and is not prominently seen from the road, even though it is on the main stretch of El Poblado neighborhood. The taxi drivers typically didn't know about this hotel, so I always kept a hotel card with me.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank IsthmusDiver

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Korean first
Dallas
Reviewed December 23, 2009

I wish HIEX's in the states were this good. I was on the 15th floor. Excellent views to the north. Free wi-fi was a must for me and this hotel delivered. had it on the laptop and the ipod touch. Rooms were great shape although I did manage to break the handle on one of the windows and the cable for the rollup shade....

Very nicely appointed. The openair breakfast was nice. Food was decent but not spectacular. No issues with security in this area. Oviedo mall is 5 min walking distance. BK delivers food upstairs if its past restaurant closure time. Cabs are plentiful and for 5000 pesos (2.5USD) u are almost anywhere in the city. On Sundays one side of the Avenida de Poblado (where the hotel is at) is shut down for rollerblading, biking, walking and jogging till about 1pm. Oh and make sure you check out paragliding to the north. Club life is amazing and the women are just gorgeous.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo
Kingston
Reviewed November 8, 2009

Fantastic Hotel. Staff are able to speak English. Free wifi and other amenities. La Strada attached boasts a casino, 4 restaurants, and 2 Bars/nightclubs. Located on Avenida El Poblado in a high end area of Medellin. Shopping is fantastic and safety is not a concern. I spent a week in Medellin and will return again. The open air breakfast restaurant on the 21st floor is a great way to start the day.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank rkucheran
Phoenix Arizona
Reviewed August 3, 2009

Can't add much to what others have said. The rooms are quite large and modern, impeccably clean, with spectacular views of the city and the price couldn't be beat for this area of the city. The front desk staff was very friendly, helpful and bilingual as well. Breakfast buffet on the top floor was simple, but certainly adequate. Would stay here again no questions asked.

Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank PhoenixKen
elmexingles
Reviewed July 15, 2009

Very nice hotel. The room was unbelievable nice. Never expected that in a HIEX. Great view of Medellin and excellently located for quick access to the centre. Well done HIEX, Medellin. Really exceeded my expectations. Just would be good if you had a bar area. ONLY thing I didn't like. Staff on rececption were great also.

• Liked — Lay out of the room
  • Disliked — no Bar or communal area
  • Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank elmexingles
New York
Reviewed July 7, 2009

I stayed at the hotel with a friend for four days and enjoyed it. It was a clean room with a great view, and had a friendly and helpful staff. It's a bit pricey by Medellin standards, but is much cheaper than the higher end hotels.

My one complaint is their laundry service. I left a bag of laundry in my room to have it washed. The laundry was the usual: a few polo shirts or t-shirts, a pair of pants, some shorts, and some socks and underwear. Nothing fancy. I had the same quantity and type of clothing washed at a hotel in Colombia the week before and it cost me USD 5.00. I was expecting to pay a little more here, but not much more. They took all of my clothing and drycleaned it - even my underwear! The total: USD 108.00!!!! I complained to the manager saying that I wanted it washed and drycleaned. I was told that the prices were listed on a paper in the closet, so I knew what I was paying for. When I told him that not only did I not fill out the form, I didn't even use their laundry bag, he gave me the impression that he could care less. (I wrote a nasty-gram to the Holiday Inn Express website and got an absolutely incoherent response, so that didn't help either.)

Needless to say, paying more to have your underwear drycleaned than you pay for a night's stay is not my idea of a bargain. The whole experience left a bad taste in my mouth for this hotel.

Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
4 Thank ERSUSA
Sao Paulo
Reviewed February 24, 2009

After Bogotá it was time to stay at Medellín for 4 days, we had a lot to do and needed a nice hotel where we could relax after a busy day working and having meetings. My business partner booked rooms at the Holiday Inn Express, we had high expectations.

ARRIVAL: We arrived late at night, the rooms were ready and the reception staff was very friendly, like most of Latin America they tried to be as helpful as they could and we went to our room straight away, I had requested high floors on the phone a few days earlier and they got us rooms at the top floor of the hotel facing the whole city.

HOTEL/CONCIERGE: The hotel itself is great, the rooms are more like studio apartments, complete with a kitchen, real-life-size refrigerators and a large desk for working. Free wifi internet was available, it was fast and stable, and the view, wow, we had an amazing view with large windows seeing the whole city of Medellín (that's like one big valley) from the 20th floor of the hotel. They also had a top floor where they served breakfast and the view was great, there was also a fitness center for those who like working out. There was no concierge but the staff tried their best to be helpful when asked, they also provided us with late check out on request.

SERVICE/STAFF: We didn't use much room service, I think the hotel is more like on a "help yourself" mood, the breakfast was served and what finished wasn't much replaced, the breakfast was kind of below regular I have to say.

LOCATION: The location is flawless, the hotel, besides being in the main avenue of the whole city, is also sort of inside a shopping center complex (don't worry, it's not crowded and it has independent entrance way) and they have all kinds of restaurants on the first floor. The hotel also has a small but nice casino, named Portofino, where we had a lot of fun. The casino staff is very friendly and sometimes nicer than Vegas when it comes to getting you what you ask when you're gambling, maybe also because it was small and not so crowded.

OVERALL IMPRESSION: When it comes do Medellín it was among the best, I also visited the InterContinental, but it's more of a spa hotel, for those who want to feel the city I suggest the this Holiday Inn Express, it feels like the kind of apartment I'd have if I lived there. The beds are really comfy and the bathroom is modern and kind of oversized, the whole room/suite is oversized. If you're looking for specialized concierge service and family vacation amenities don't even think about it, but if you're on business looking forward to a warm welcome to Colombia, go ahead! Either way make sure you visit the Botanical Garden of Medellín, the Botero Museum and if you want to party I'd advice you go downtown and party like the locals at Oz by Trial or B Lounge, because hotel staff will only suggest horrible enormous clubs featuring weird music and even more weird people, avoid those at all costs.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled on business