“Pleasantly surprised... Great location with a few negative details. Better management would make this a solid 5-star”

Holiday Inn Express Medellin
Ranked #32 of 111 Hotels in Medellin
Reviewed November 19, 2013

My stay here started really badly when my pickup at the airport didn't show up! I speak Spanish so I just took a taxi, but this may be a little unsettling for a first time visitor to Medellin as the airport is VERY far away from town and the road is very dark... Although there is almost zero chance of danger, it is better to ride with somebody your hotel sends. Fail there.
I just could not fault the hotel... super modern rooms (except for old TV and old AC unit) Huge room with huge windows which I LOVED... Great breakfast terrace.. Super clean and efficient housekeeping.
Only problem with the room is that the blackout curtains do not cover the window effectively and I was awaken every morning at 5:45 by the first rays of sun.
Also, front desk personnel is very young and inexperienced and I had an issue with my bill and never got an apology for my missed pickup until I requested to speak with the manager, who responded and gave me a $2 (Wow!!!) discount on my ride back to the airport.
Lots of potential, great location! Management with better attention to detail could turn this hiotel into a gem!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank ranger22SG
Luis1113, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Medellin, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2013

good afternoon

We welcome your comments we invite you to correct our mistakes and successes strengthen

Let me introduce you to impasse excuses for transportation and already we inform you that there has been a bonus for you to enjoy an airport shuttle at no cost as compensation for serivicio not paid and he should not be charged. Unfortunately the information given to the management was different.

many excuses again and hope to soon.

Reviewed November 12, 2013

I stayed here one night. The room was clean and spacious and the location was great (lots of restaurants around and seemed safe). The breakfast was also good. I just found the room to be loud but that's a function of the location too. Beautiful scenery around.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Luis1113, Gerente at Holiday Inn Express Medellin, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2013

Thank you very much for your kind comments and opinions about our Hotel.
As well says our location and the attention of our staff is the greatest strength which adds to the excellent panoramic city.

We look forward to returning soon and thank you for choosing us

Reviewed October 17, 2013

Is in a really great location in Medellín, near Santafe shopping mall. Also in the same building there is a cozy shopping mall called La Strada.

The room is spacious with tv, air conditioner and wi-fi. Although the tv unit was kind of old.

Nice small selection for breakfast, really enjoyable.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Luis1113, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Medellin, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2013

Thank you very much for your nice comments about our extraordinary location close to all places of interest and entertainment in the city of Medellin. As you rightly says we are located in an excellent shopping center called La Strada in which a variety of restaurants and places of entertainment. That is one of the most important attractions of the hotel, in addition to its excellent care and service.

We welcome comments to improve and informed him that we are locking them for better comfort of our guests.

The hope to return soon

Reviewed October 9, 2013

Location is simply excellent, in a very safe neighborhood in Medellín with malls and supermarket very close to the hotel. Also, in the same building (La Strada) you can find good restaurants and bars.
The only negative item is the air conditioning, a bit noisy when you're trying to sleep.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

Thank you very much for your nice comments about our extraordinary location close to all places of interest and entertainment in the city of Medellin. That is one of the most important attractions of the hotel, in addition to its excellent care and service.

The hope to return soon

Reviewed September 20, 2013

A good choice. Large rooms. Great view over rooftops. Got a room not facing the street and happy for that cause the traffic causes noice.
Breakfast buffet is good - even if the ham and cheese looked very tired and could have been stored cold. Coffee on the watery side also - this in the country of Juan Valdez....

But large rooms - comfortable beds. Nice reception (even if they missed to pass on a message to the ones supposed to bring me to the airport - they were very late and I took a hotel transport instead, but when my late original transport came the reception told me I had not left!!) But thats a minor detail for a hotel that is a very good choice.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms facing the street
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

Thank you very much for your nice comments about our extraordinary location near all inetres and entertainment sites in the city of Medellin. Also on outstanding accommodations, because of its size and its view over the city that are the most important attraction for our guests.

We welcome comments to improve and will in practice immediately.

I hope to return soon

Reviewed August 25, 2013

Located in the middle of Medellin´s Golden Mile, this hotel is within a few steps from most main drags of Poblado. Two major shopping malls within a few blocks and an array of eateries in walking distance make it an excellent base for a business traveller. My suite was quite spacious and well laid out with working, sitting and sleeping areas; with excellent views over the city, however a few items would use an improvement. Windows are far from soundproof, even on 17th floor street noise was sometimes an issue. Aircon is an old unit from 1980´s, terribly noisy, making any sleep impossible when turned on; TV unit is old CRT model. Yet everyting was functional, internet was reasonably fast and reliable and the breakfast on a semi-covered terrace on the 21st floor was a delight with more than just the usual basics. All in all, quite a positive experience.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Martinzz
Luis1113, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Medellin, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2013

Thank you very much for your experience compartinos Hotel and express your feelings with clean express our relation to our services.

For our team of contributors is a great satisfacion to know that your stay was memorable and full of great satisfaction.

We welcome your comments and informed him about the TV are being changed and to date 60% ​​of the hotel has HD TV LG 3D technology. As for air crews began a complete change in the last quarter of 2013 as the same are in the design process. We look forward to your next visit to have renewed this regard for their welfare.

Thanks for having us and we hope soon in our facilities

thanks

Reviewed August 17, 2013

I stayed here for four nights, while exploring Medellin as a possible retirement destination. I had originally booked a cheap place in the center of town, but after the miserable cheap place I had stayed in in Bogota, I wasn't up for any more adventures, so I went for the Holiday Inn Express. This was a very low-stress place, very clean, no problems, no adventures, no drama, friendly and helpful staff. The breakfast, up on the top floor, was excellent. One shortcoming: the machines in the exercise room weren't working most of the time. The other downside is that it's quite expensive. Everything else was fine.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank EA_South_Dakota
Luis1113, Gerente at Holiday Inn Express Medellin, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2013

Thank you very much for your nice comments about our hotel and its services.
Its excellent feedback is our best reward:

I've ordered a review of the gym equipment as they have placed two new teams recently and there would be reason to not work.

Regarding the relationship of the price I have verified the dates of your stay and coincided with dates and High occupancy High season so the price was higher than that on average have. For upcoming stays we suggest purchasing fees or advance purchase nonrefundable rate which will generate a significant discount.

Thanks and we hope to return soon,