“Good location, good value, good staff!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Plaza Rosa

Hotel Plaza Rosa
Ranked #57 of 103 Hotels in Medellin
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Good location, good value, good staff!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2012

My first trip to Medellin and I was unsure when my colleague advised me not to expect anything too fancy from the hotel, I didn't know what to expect. But what I found was a clean, simple hotel, no bells and whistles, but then you are not paying bells and whistle prices. Breakfast was good with a wide selection of produce to choose. Free internet was a good speed and the minbar even stocks Spam!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Cairns, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2012

Way to shoot yourself in the foot Plaza Rosa!

We booked though Orbitz and upon check in were told we needed to pay and additional 113,000 COP for "night security." Huh?

Having read all the Orbitz fine print, I was not at all interested in doing to so... Despite a weeks worth of emails and calls we had no choice but to pay it.

Because of this I would have rated this hotel terrible, however some of the staff were very nice, and breakfast was OK.

But, honestly for another 113,000 COP I would have stayed somewhere else nicer.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jeremy L

Travelers are raving about these Medellin hotels

Pasadena, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2012

If you are visiting Medellin for the first time and want to stay in the best area and within walking distance from every restaurant and bars, the plaza rosa hotel is the best place to stay.

I booked the a room for 1 week at $56 bucks at day from Travelocity and it was a bargain.

The place is super clean and included a daily breakfast (buffet style ) but there was a cooked who could prepare omelette, eggs, etc. as requested. The food was fresh every morning and the staff service was impeccable during breakfast.

The hotel offered wifi for free and basic cable television in the room (not cable box) and 80% of the channels were translated to Spanish and the rest were subtitle.

My only BIG complaint was the bed mattress. I am not exaggerating when I say that the floor was softer that the freaking bed. Imagine you took a 8 hour flight from the USA to Medellin and you want to rest, but you cant laydown on the bed because your back, ribs and shoulders can't take any position on this bed. At first I didnt complaint and decided to suck it up, but I got so sick the third day that I needed to be in bed all day, so I asked for my bed mattress to be replaced for a softer mattress;which they did with out a problem, but the matress was slightly better. Everyday I was going to sleep late just to avoid spending to much time on the bed. I am not kidding , so please if you don't care much a bout comfort this is the place for you.

Lastly, be careful when you checked-out because they will put additional charges on your bill. Please review every charge and if you see something that you were not aware of you need to say this "remove this charge, I am not paying for this" ( do not use please, or could you).during my checked-out they wanted to charged me $20 bucks at day for room insurance which they claimed Travelocity made me aware of it and it should have declined during the purchased, but I told them that they should have made aware directly and verbally to me during the check-in process and not during the check-out process and demanded to removed those charges inmediately. They did but just be aware of this practice.

• Stayed December 2011
Larkspur, California, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2011

We stayed here 5 days so expected more. Our first room was on the 6th floor-a basic room, but a nice view. The second night of our stay, the air conditioner became funky and nearly froze us to death - despite having it on a setting of 79F. The next night, the air conditioner didn't work at all. The next day it began making very weird mechanical noises. We kept calling the front desk to get help for this and other problems (light bulb didn't work in the lamp over the bed, we needed an extra chair, we asked for a lamp for one of the bedside tables (only one in the room). The staff kept saying they would send help "inmediamente", but never did. We got the lamp on day three, the light bulb on day 4, and couldn't get the staff to respond to the broken air conditioner at all. Finally, the manager came up and with the help of one of the lower level staff, we switched to another room (the first two alternatives they showed us were unacceptable - small, noisy, and one with a broken air onditioner!!, but the last one was ok. Getting it right after many attempts earns a point or two, but we really shouldn't have had to go through all this aggravation to get the basics of a decent room.. I would not recommend this hotel nor would I come here again. There are simply too many good choices in Medellin.

Room Tip: 8th floor seems to be the premium floos
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Patricia S
Green Lake, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2011

I felt that the pictures did not do it justice, this hotel deserves a much higher rating, I have stayed here twice and I Will be back !

A very professional and courteous staff is on hand to assist you, friendly, helpfull, considerate, several of the staff consider me as a friend and It will always feel like home.
The hard working housekeeping staff is very friendly, keeps things very clean and have gone out of their way to make me feel welcome,

A lower restaurant with a beautiful courtyard complete with exotic birds and fish swimming in a pool tendered by a fountain surrounded by trees and foliage creates a very serene atmosphere were I have enjoyed breakfast and lunch on several occasions.

An upper restaurant, all "open air" which is graced by a mountain stream complete with a 5 foot waterfall creates a soothing atmosphere where I have enjoyed on a few dates by candelight, both restaurants with very professional staffs.

The Plaza Rosa is within Walking distance to the "Zona Rosa" a hot spot for night life complete with top notch restaurants and just a short cab ride to several Big nightclubs and the Sante fe Mall, one of Medellin's Largest and most luxurious places to shop.

I am counting the days until I return again !

Room Tip: Obviously, the Top floors give you the best view, a must for your first time in Medellin !
  • Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank Alan S
ecommerceoperar, Ecommerce Director at Hotel Plaza Rosa, responded to this review, August 16, 2011
Good day

We are absolutely delighted that your stay at the hotel was to his liking, because ourm service and professionalism by our guests is pleasant as you give us recognition, we hope to see you again.
Bogota, Colombia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2011

The Plaza Rosa Hotel won't win any points for decoration (although it wouldn't lose any, it's just not outstanding), but the service is excellent and the breakfast delicious. You can enjoy a sauna and gym and there's Wi-Fi and Cable in all the rooms. Basically it's a great option for people who aren't looking to splash out, but want something comfortable and with all the mod-cons. It's also well located near all the cafes, bars and clubs in Medellín.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
Buenos Aires, Argentina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2011

Very good hotel.
They have a nice sauna, restaurant food is very good
Dry cleaning is a bit expensive and internet somewhat slow, although for emails and facebook is alright.

I leave the hotel 430 am to get my flight and, since I miss breakfast, they had orange juice and coffee to offer, very nice touch.

I will definitely come back every time I'm on medellin and will bring my family for summer vacations.

I'm from Argentina and stayed solo for 4 nights.

• Stayed July 2011